The 10 Best Pubs with Rooms in Dorset
Criss-crossed with sunken lanes and sporting gentle hills and unspoilt villages, Dorset has so far escaped the brutality - yet convenience - of a motorway. So the landscape of Thomas Hardy's novels has retained much of its lush, pastoral look. Plus you’re far enough from London to feel properly rural. And the coastline is both beautiful and fascinating - the Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site, but also an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. And the best pubs with rooms in Dorset are also some of the best places to stay in Dorset.
Yes, our Gurus happen to think that one of the best ways to see this green and pleasant county is to stay in a pub with rooms. There are many benefits to staying in one of the best pubs with rooms in Dorset, but the opportunity to mingle with the locals and to have a jovial place to spend your evenings after supper is certainly appealing. Plus our Guru’s recommendations are well positioned in some of the most beautiful places in the county.
The 10 Best Pubs with Rooms in Dorset
The Best Foodie Pubs with Rooms in Dorset
- The Museum Inn is a picturesque country pub in the pretty village of Farnham, north Dorset, on the Cranborne Chase (an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty). There are eight individually designed rooms in the main house and converted stables building, plus a separate large cottage which sleeps up to 16. There’s a gastro pub and a restaurant.
- The Stapleton Arms in Buckthorn Weston is a reinvented English country pub with boutique-style decor which has retained many of the original features. There are four individually designed rooms and a gourmet, locally sourced pub menu. Don’t miss the breakfasts fit for a king or the Sunday roasts.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in Hardy Country
- The Grosvenor Arms is situated in the centre of Shaftesbury or Shaston as it was known in Hardy novels. It's a stylish property that oozes casual elegance and the food is excellent too.
- The Acorn Inn claims to be Hardy's "Sow and Acorn" in Tess of the D'Urbevilles and it certainly has a long history - it dates back to the 16th century. Now however it offers individually decorated rooms in a traditional style and an award winning restaurant dishing up seasonal fare.
The Best Pubs with Rooms on the Jurassic Coast
- The Bull Hotel in Bridgeport is an 18th century coaching inn, with 14 individually decorated rooms with touches like ornate mirrors, brass beds and antique dressers, and all completed with floral Cole & Son wallpapers. There are two restaurants, with an emphasis on locally sourced seafood, and the popular Venner bar.
- The Castle Inn is an historic Dorset inn is nestled on the beautiful Jurassic coast. Under the thatched roof are 12 individually designed rooms, and the 16th-century pub has been lovingly restored and offers a separate dining area and garden.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in Dorset for Walkers
- Wareham's The Scott Arms is a charming rural inn overlooking Corfe Castle and the beautiful Purbeck Hills. It offers four comfortable rooms, an excellent restaurant, plus a jerk shak for Caribbean cuisine, and a garden with stunning panoramic views.
- Winyards Gap Inn is a charming inn in a secluded spot on the outskirts of Chedington village. The four simple, comfortable rooms have recently undergone a refurbishment leaving them fresh and bright. And there's an atmospheric pub which serves hearty fare alongside a choice selection of ales.
The Best Value Pubs with Rooms in Dorset
- The Fontmell mixes a traditional pub atmosphere with a modern, more urbane aesthetic. The result is an atmospheric bar, an excellent restaurant and six lovely rooms upstairs, complete with luxury trappings. Rooms start from around £80 per night.
- The Chetnole Inn is a delightful pub with rooms in a quiet village near Sherbourne. The three simple, traditional rooms feature white washed walls, chintz curtains and pine furniture. Downstairs an atmospheric bar and restaurant serve traditional hearty fare with a modern twist alongside a choice selection of ales. Rooms start from under £100 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best pubs with rooms in Dorset on our Guru’s list of the 10 Best Pubs with Rooms in Dorset you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Dorset?
- Or expand your search to include our Guru’s list of Great Hampshire Pubs with Rooms? or all the best pubs with rooms in the South West?
- Consider refining your search to the best places to stay in Bournemouth? or the best places to stay in Lyme Regis?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The 10 Best Pubs with Rooms in Dorset
Museum Inn Blandford Forum, Dorset 8 rooms from £110Foodies - Both gastropub and fine dining options at the Museum Inn offer locally sourced, wholesome food, expect game from nearby shoots.Groups - Moles cottage sleeps up to 16 and is popular with shooting parties in the season and families in the summer.Traditional - There is a period feel throughout the Museum Inn, with flagstone floors & roaring fire in the bar and antique furnishings.Fishing - Damerham Fisheries offers Trout fishing and Gorcombe Farm boasts fishing, clay pigeon shooting and archery.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Museum Inn is an award-winning country pub located in a picture-postcard village in rural north Dorset. Eight individually designed rooms either in the main house or converted stables feature plush decor with Bramley bathroom accessories. Plus a separate large cottage for families or groups. See More
Stapleton Arms Buckhorn Weston, Dorset 4 rooms from £110Foodies - Locally sourced, responsibly reared meats, veggies from the back garden, homemade pork pies, scotch eggs and relish- heaven!Families - Child friendly, with kids menu, highchairs, crayons, and plenty of fun countryside activities.Great walks - They will show you where to go, supply you with wellies, umbrellas and picnics- so get out there and explore!Local markets - Towns of Shaftesbury and Gillingham both have markets to explore.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
A reinvention of the English country pub, boutique style. Original highlights - wooden beams, inglenook fireplaces - retained, with addition of stylish, freshly designed rooms. The gourmet pub food has gained a reputation for Sunday Roasts, inspired menus and a breakfast fit for a king. See More
Grosvenor Arms Shaftesbury, Dorset 16 rooms from £100Sights nearby - Walking distance to all Shaftesbury's sightsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.
The Bull Hotel Bridport (West Dorset) 14 rooms from £100Local markets - Bridport market, open Wednesdays and Saturdays is perfect for hidden gems and bric-a-brac.Great walks - This is the gateway to the Jurassic Coast with all its dramatic coastal paths.Sailing - Lyme Regis is a sailing mecca and a quaint town to spend an afternoon.Sights nearby - Country house lovers will appreciate Mapperton House.Recommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide
An 18th century coaching inn, yet full of fun from within. Rooms are decorated with individual touches like ornate mirrors, brass beds to antique dressers complete with floral Cole & Son wallpapers. There are two restaurants, with an emphasis on locally sourced seafood and the popular Venner bar. See More
Acorn Inn Dorset 10 rooms from £99Lively - The Hardy Bar is very popular with the locals with quiz nights, skittles competitions and yard of ale drinking challengesGreat walks - Guests have access to the adjacent 600 acres Melburg Estate and Deer Park with walking and artistic opportunitiesFull of character - Each of the rooms is named after an aspect of Thomas Hardy's 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles'Sights nearby - Manor houses and their gardens are in abundance in this areaRecommended by - Sawdays
The Acorn Inn oozes historic charm. Built in the 16th century from local honey coloured stone, the decor maintains much of the original features; exposed beams, oak panelling and flagstone floors are in abundance. Award winning food in the restaurant. A stylish base for exploring Hardy country. See More
The Castle Inn Dorset 12 rooms from £119Country Escape - The location of this quiet country inn is perfect for exploring the beautiful countryside of the Isle of PurbeckFamilies - With lots to explore on the coastline, and family rooms available at the inn, this pub is a family favouriteLocal exploring - With Lulworth Cove a stone's throw from the hotel this is a great base for local Dorset exploringGreat walks - There are endless great walks to explore the Dorset countryside and coastline; tuck into a warm meal in the pub afterwards
This historic Dorset inn is nestled on the beautiful Jurassic coast. Under the thatched roof, individually designed rooms invite you in with warm and cosy soft furnishings. The 16th-century pub has been lovingly restored and offers a separate dining area and garden. A charming and traditional inn. See More
The Scott Arms Wareham, Dorset 4 rooms from £95Great walks - Go for lovely walks in the surrounding Purbeck Hills.Sights nearby - Less than two miles from Corfe Castle.Restrictions on children - Adults only accommodation
Set in the beautiful Purbeck Hills overlooking Corfe Castle, The Scott Arms is a charming rural inn. Offering four comfortable rooms as well as an excellent restaurant plus a jerk shak for Caribbean cuisine, and a garden with stunning panoramic views. A superb base for epxloring the local coastline. See More
Winyards Gap Inn Beaminster, Dorset 4 rooms from £100Country Escape - A quintessentailly British pub set in the beautiful Dorset countryside.Great walks - Take picturesque walks in the surrounding countryside staring straight from the property.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.
A charming inn set in a secluded spot on the outskirts of Chedington village surrounded by beautiful Dorset countryside. Simple and comfortable rooms have recently undergone a refurbishment leaving them fresh and bright. An atmospheric pub serves hearty fare alongside a choice selection of ales. See More
The Fontmell North Dorset 6 rooms from £80Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.Sights nearby - Pay a visit to Sherborne Old Castle.
Taking its name from the surrounding village, The Fontmell mixes a traditional pub atmosphere with a modern, more urbane aesthetic. The result is an atmospheric bar, an excellent restaurant and lovely rooms with luxury trappings. A great base for a trip to Dorset and superb value for money. See More
The Chetnole Inn Sherborne, Dorset 3 rooms from £95Country Escape - Everything rural dreams are made of: hearty food, cosy accommodation and beautiful walking country.Sights nearby - Admire the architecture of the pretty yellowstone town of Sherboune and stop by the church and castle.Great walks - Head to Stour Head for scenic walk through the parkland and gardens.Local markets - Visit the farmers market at Sherbourne for a taste of local life.
A delightful pub with rooms set in a quiet village near Sherbourne. Simple, traditional rooms feature white washed walls, chintz curtains and pine furniture. Downstairs an atmospheric bar and restaurant serve traditional hearty fare with a modern twist alongside a choice selection of ales. See More