Search the best hotels in Westendorf
On sunswept upland in the heart of the Brixen Valley lies Westendorf, a quaint and pretty Tyrolean village. Surrounded by snow-crowned mountain peaks and forested valleys and pasture peppered with timbered haybarns, Westendorf stands in an enviable position - one seemingly pulled out of a fairytale. Ideal for either a winter or summer break, use our guide to the best places to stay in Westendorf and start to plan your trip.
Westendorf has roots that run deep. Burial chambers brimming with ancient artefacts dating back to the Bronze Age were found in the area, and later on, much of the area was occupied by the Romans. By the medieval era, Westendorf was a thriving market town; by the 16th century, the town was flooded with wealth from the mining boom, much of which was invested in the construction of the charming streets and onion-domed churches that you can see today. If you're there during the summer, every Thursday the Schauzuichi Market comes into full swing, where you can buy produce from local farmers and handicraft while listening to folk music.
Families choose Westendorf principally due to the relatively low altitude. Standing at a meagre 802m in altitude, there is fairly limited access to off-piste slopes that can be found higher up in the Alps. However, this also means it is ideally suited to beginners and children. Not only are there some great nursery slopes, but there are a handful of fantastic ski schools, and well over 160km's of pistes. Snowboarders and freestylers can also enjoy the Boarders Playground - a well-groomed snowpark - not to mention some great cross-country tracks and winter hiking trails. If you're there in the summer, you can enjoy hiking or mountain biking through the lush green valley of Windau!
What not to miss
- If you're there during the summer, be sure to check out the Schauzuichi Market!
- Go hiking or mountain biking through the Windau Valley.
- Enjoy conquering over 160km of pistes!
- Book a few sessions with the Ski School Westendorf.
- Go snowboarding in the infamous Boarders Playground!
A classic Alpine village, Westendorf is perfectly suited to families or inexperienced skiers, as well as visitors of any age who want to enjoy its scenic charms in the summer months. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Westendorf to find out why!
The best places to stay in Westendorf
For great Value
- Pension Sonnwend is a small contemporary hotel offering individual rooms, studios and apartments with spellbinding views and private balconies. A hearty breakfast comes included, and activities like archery can be easily arranged.
- Hotel Schermer: ideal for families, this gorgeous hotel offers simple and elegant Alpine-chic rooms and suites suited to large families. Enjoy the pampering spa, gourmet restaurant and treasure-trove of activities on offer!
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is between Christmas and March: the early/late season tends to see unreliable snowfall, and between January and March, the temperature sits between 0 and 6; if you're planning a hiking holiday, go between June and August, when the temperature flits between 12 and 21 degrees.
- Fly to Innsbruck Airport, and take Bus F to the railway station, from where you can get a direct train to Westendorf.
- If you want to rent a car, contact out partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Tyrol
- or Austria
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Westendorf
Pension Sonnwend 8 rooms from $80Westendorf
Individual rooms, studios and two bedroom apartments in a stunning location in the heart of Westendorf. Rooms offer spectacular views of the mountains and include complimentary wifi, a study desk, living-room area, kitchen and private balcony. Great for skiers, couples and families summer or winter.Country Escape - Enjoy the beautiful countryside for some peace and quiet from the comfort of your apartmentFamilies - There are two bedroom apartments with a fully equipped kitchenSkiing - A haven for skiers - the hotel is right on the slopesGreat walks - Many walks in the area offer wonderful views during the summer months.
Hotel Schermer 71 rooms from $213Westendorf
Hotel Schermer is situated in the peaceful countryside outside Westendorf, and offers stunning views of the Kitzbühel Alps. With suites available and plenty of activities on offer it's perfect for family trips. Those looking to relax can enjoy the tranquil surroundings or make use of the spa.Country Escape - Set in the beautiful Tyrolean countryside with unobstructed views of the Kitzbühel Alps and plenty of outdoor activities.Families - The perfect getaway with family suites and plenty of activities to keep the kids entertained.Great walks - There are plenty of local hiking trails, with something to suit all levels.Secluded setting - For escaping.