Search the best hotels in Hakodate
Situated in the centre of the Kameda peninsula, Hakodate is a port city on Hokkaido's south-east coast. Founded in the early 15th century, it's brimming with history - in fact, it was one of the first cities to be opened up to international trade in the 19th Century after Japan's isolationist Edo Period. Our collection of the best places to stay in Hakodate are beautiful traditional properties perfect for soaking in the city's history.
The city has a distinctive feel, and look, with a buzzy atmosphere and notable Western influences. French and British trade interest in the 1860s led to the arrival of a number of expats, which subsequently brought with it the construction of a number of churches (most of which are still standing).
Visitors can enjoy splendid views, delicious seafood, and plenty of culture to get stuck into. However, be sure to book ahead as the best places to stay in Hakodate get quickly booked up.
What Not To Miss
- Hike up Mount Hakodate and revel in sumptuous views of the city - it's an experience you won't regret!
- Spend an afternoon wandering around Goryokaku Park. Filled to the brim with cherry trees, it's especially gorgeous from April to May when they're in blossom.
- If you're into your architecture then The Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward, Hakodate Orthodox Church, and The Old British Consulate of Hakodate are top spots to visit.
The Best Places to Stay in Hakodate
For the city centre
- On the coast outside Hakodate, Kappo Ryokan Wakamatsu is a 24 room inn with charming traditional features and beautiful detail. there’s a splendid milts-course Kaiseki menu in their restaurant and the baths are quite something.
- Yunokowa Prince Hotel Nagisatei boasts traditional tatami-style accommodation with splendid views of the city. Enjoy both Japanese and Western-style cuisine in the restaurant.
- Bourou Noguchi, in downtown Hakodate, has 79 rooms in styles ranging from traditional Japanese to Western. There are rooftop open-air baths and an excellent restaurant. This is an upmarket option but well worth it.
- La Vista Hakodate Bay offers swish Art-Deco style accommodation with en-suite bathrooms. Tuck into delectable cuisine from the Hakodate Bay Gourmet Club.
For an apartment
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the options available with our partner, Booking.com.
- The most common way for international visitors to arrive on Hokkaidō is via New Chitose Airport just outside Sapporo.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars, have to offer.
- Hokkaidō is very much a year-round holiday destination as far as Japanese visitors are concerned. This is where much of Japan’s best skiing is found, so it’s popular in winter, but it’s also appreciated for its natural beauty, so spring and autumn are also very popular - especially cherry blossom season, which is early May, and the autumn colours in October are quite something. Summer is warm, sunny, and very, very colourful - the wildflowers here are spectacular.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Hakodate.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Sapporo.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Hakodate
La Vista Hakodate Bay Hakodate (Hakodate-shi) 356 rooms from $256Great walks - Wander through the city's gorgous botanical gardens or take a stroll around Tachimachi CapeLocal markets - The bustling Hakodate Asaichi (morning market) has a superb range of food stalls to exploreSights nearby - Head over to Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse or go for a ride on the Hakodate RopewayRestrictions on children - Children cannot be accomodated in the hotel.
The downtown La Vista Hakodate Bay offers contemporary designer art-deco accommodation inspired by the Taisho period. Rooms come equipped with a coffee maker and an en-suite bathroom. If you fancy a novel culinary experience then head over to Hakodate Bay Gourmet Club! An upmarket and stylish spot. See More
Bourou Noguchi Hakodate (Yunokawachō) 79 rooms from $301Sights nearby - Be sure to check out Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse and go for a ride on the Hakodate RopewayGreat walks - Take a stroll through the beautiful Hakodate Tropical Botanical GardenDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
Bourou Noguchi, located in downtown Hakodate, offers a variety of rooms from the traditional Japanese-style to more modern Western types. It boasts rooftop open-air baths and stunning cuisine, whilst you can even request a romantic dinner for two in a private dining room! A superb upmarket city stay See More
Yunokawa Prince Hotel Nagisatei Hakodate (Hakodate-shi) 175 rooms from $459Sights nearby - Be sure to go visit the Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse which is full of restaurants and souvenir shopsGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through the wonderful Hakodate Tropical Botanical GardensViews - Sea views of Tsugaru Strait or views of Hakodate City.Quirky - An experience!
Situated on Hakodate's coast, Yunokawa Prince Hotel Nagisatei provides traditional Japanese-style accommodation with woven-straw floors and futon beds. The hotel boasts splendid views and their restaurant serves both traditional Japanese and Western style cuisine. A quirky yet top-drawer stay! See More