- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Sapporo
Located on a rare plain against the backdrop of Hokkaido's mountains, Sapporo, the island's capital, is Japan's fifth-largest city. This charming setting was home to the Winter Olympics in 1972, the first time it was held in Asia, despite the fact that Sapporo is one of Japan's youngest major cities - its population was allegedly only 7 people back in 1857!
Significant development occurred in the Edo period but you might be surprised to find that the city boasts a North American-esque design, with its rectangular street system that's incredibly easy to navigate. You probably won't, however, be surprised to learn of its rich beer history - as you might expect, the beer Saporro originates from the city.
Be sure to book ahead as the best places to stay in Sapporo get quickly booked up.
What Not To Miss
- Odori Park is a resplendent green haven located in the heart of the city - perfect for a relaxing afternoon after a morning spent sightseeing.
- Head to nearby Mount Moiwa in the winter to enjoy some wonderful skiing.
- A trip to Sapporo's incomplete without visiting the Sapporo beer factory, complete with Japan's only beer museum!
- The red-brick former Hokkaido Government Office is a lovely place to visit, as is Hokkaido Shrine.
The Best Places to Stay in Sapporo
- On the 23rd and 24th floors of the JR Tower, the JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo is a fantastic place to stay if you value your view. The interiors are unfussy - designed to emphasise peace and tranquility - and the French and Japanese restaurants are excellent.
- La Vista Hakodate Bay is a contemporary design meets Art Deco masterpiece with 356 rooms and suites. You’re right on the water and in the heart of Sapporo.
The Best Traditional Japanese Accommodation in Sapporo
- Nakamuraya Ryokan is a traditional ryokan in downtown Sapporo with a spacious 24-hour bath. There are just 26 rooms and you can enjoy traditional food served up in the restaurant.
- The most common way for international visitors to arrive in Hokkaidō is via New Chitose Airport just outside Sapporo.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars, have to offer.
- Sapporo is very much a year-round holiday destination as far as Japanese visitors are concerned. Much of Japan's best skiing is found on Hokkaido, whilst it's also lovely to stroll around in the summertime when the temperature hovers between 18-26°C.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Sapporo.
- Widen the net to include all our recommendations in Hokkaido.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Sapporo
Nakamuraya Ryokan 26 rooms from £134Sapporo (Hokkaido Prefecture)
Nakamuraya Ryokan is a traditional Japanese inn located in downtown Sapporo. The air-conditioned rooms have woven-straw floors and futon bedding whilst there's also a spacious 24 hour bath to relax in. Enjoy meals served in a true Ryokan style with plenty of small dishes. A unique and friendly spot!Sights nearby - Check out the historic Former Hokkaidō Government Office buildingGreat walks - Take a stroll through the Hokkaido University's Botanic GardenQuirky - An experience!Traditional
La Vista Hakodate Bay 356 rooms from £200Sapporo (Hakodate-shi)
The downtown La Vista Hakodate Bay offers contemporary designer art-deco accommodation inspired by the Taisho period. Rooms come equipped with a coffee maker and an en-suite bathroom. If you fancy a novel culinary experience then head over to Hakodate Bay Gourmet Club! An upmarket and stylish spot.Great walks - Wander through the city's gorgous botanical gardens or take a stroll around Tachimachi CapeLocal markets - The bustling Hakodate Asaichi (morning market) has a superb range of food stalls to exploreSights nearby - Head over to Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse or go for a ride on the Hakodate RopewayRestrictions on children - Children cannot be accomodated in the hotel.
JR Tower Hotel Nikko Sapporo 350 rooms from £246Sapporo (Kita 5, Chuo-ku)
Located on the 23rd to 34th floors in the JR Tower, this hotel provides chic contemporary accommodation offering splendid views of Sapporo. Wide-view windows with unfussy interiors emphasise peace and tranquility whilst their restaurants serve up stunning French and Japanese cuisine! A top spot.Sights nearby - Be sure to check out the historic Former Hokkaidō Government Office buildingGreat walks - Wander around Hokkaido University's beautiful Botanic GardensViews - Great views from hotel