- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Lizard Island
About Lizard Island
Lizard Island, on the Northern tip of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, is like nowhere else in terms of its seclusion and privacy. The actress Kate Hudson has described it as ‘the most romantic place on earth’, and the best places to stay on Lizard Island allow you to truly get away from it all and in super luxury!
The island, which is one of the most remote on the Great Barrier Reef, was discovered and named by Captain James Cook, who noted that its only inhabitants appeared to be lizards. During the nineteenth century it became a commercial source of sea cucumber, but the island is really recognsed for its natural beauty and turquoise lagoon and has been a National Park since 1939.
Celebrities and tourists from across the globe now visit Lizard Island to enjoy the natural peace and tranquility. It has also become a world renowned dive site where you can explore the wonders of the coral reefs, or simply chill out on the beach!
What not to miss
- If snorkelling or diving is not your thing, take a glass bottom boat tour.
- A popular two hour hike leads to Cooks Look, a vantage point where in 1770 James Cook surveyed Watson Bay in order to discern a safe passage away from the island and its treacherous reefs.
- There are guided tours available of the reefs and also the research station which has been established to study the coral.
- Sunset cheese and wine cruise
- Diving at Cod Hole
Don't forget to plan well ahead if you want to secure a room in our pick of the best places to stay in LIzard Island - this is an extremely exclusive retreat!
For the Ultimate in Secluded Luxury
- Lizard Island Resort is a super luxury development of 40 villas, each with stunning views of Anchor Bay and Sunset Beach, and each with a large private terrace On site you'll find shops, tennis court, a spa and pool. Diving and hiking expeditions are available on request. The seafood is out of this world!
- LIzard Island enjoys a tropical climate which makes it a year round destination. Average daily temperatures are about 27 degrees celcius.
- There is a small airport which receives two flights daily from Cairns. You will be collected at the airport and taken to the resort.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Lizard Island
Lizard Island 40 rooms from £1097Lizard Island
A luxury hotel boasting epic sea views. Find utter tranquility in the simply dressed rooms; all white on white with plenty of light, dark wooden floors and large terraces (the best have plunge pools). Feast on exemplary seafood dishes in the restaurant and spend days exploring the reef. Superb.Beach Life - It's everything one dreams of, white sands, turquoise seas and, of course, there's the reef too.Diving - Book a half or full-day excursion and let the hotel take you to numerous diving hot spots.Restrictions on children - Children over 10 are welcome.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith