Search the best hotels in Bad Gastein
About Bad Gastein
Bad Gastein, situated in Austria’s Salzburg region, is an historic spa town and sporting centre. The town was first mentioned in 1230 in relation to the curative powers of the waters and over the centuries has attracted many interesting people who have come to rest, relax and enjoy this most idyllic of resorts. The town centre sits at an altitude of 1000 metres around the Gastein waterfall and the best places to stay in Bad Gastein are perfect spots for making the most of the many things to see and do.
The town is the beating heart of the Gasteinertal Valley and has roots dating back to Roman times.The area originally prospered due to gold and silver mining. This and the discovery of mineral springs led to further development. By the nineteenth century Bad Gastein had become a very fashionable resort as can be seen with the numerous Belle Epoque hotels covering its steep slopes. The town became a destination for royalty, aristocrats, artists and plutocrats. Wilhelm I was a regular visitor, Schubert composed here, Somerset Maugham wrote here…
The advent of the railway in 1905 opened the area up to mass tourism and in 1958 Bad Gastein held the World Ski Championships for the first time. Nowadays it is a year round holiday and sporting destination. There are lovely hiking trails in the Hohe Tauren National Park. Mountain biking is equally popular. The town has hosted the Gastein Ladies Tennis since 2007 and remains a popular fixture on the circuit. Winter sports and the waters attract as many as ever.
What not to miss
- The historical town dates back to the 13th century, hence there is timeless architecture
- The Bell Epoque hotels that date back to the 18th century
- The great ski area has drawn in royalty and aristocracy for the last century
The town retains its charm and ‘Fin de Siecle’ spirit and our pick the best places to stay in Bad Gastein range from luxury spa hotels to romantic hideaways with stunning views.
The best places to stay in Bad Gastein
For Great Value
- Haus Hirt is a ‘wellness’ hotel situated in a stunning position and commands spectacular views. The design is simple and contemporary with a light and tranquil feel. It is ideal for skiing, golf and yoga. A mountain delight.
- Hotel Alpenblick is a traditional family hotel with fantastic views. The rooms and suites are spacious and the cuisine hearty. Plus there's an outdoor pool and hot tubs for unwinding post exersion! Great value too.
For a Romantic break
- Hotel Miramonte is a spa focussed hotel in a tranquil and stunning spot with panoramic views, calming interiors and Ayurvedic treatments. It is a perfect romantic getaway - alpine indulgence!
For History and Elegance
- Villa Solitude - Dating back to 1838, this imposing alpine property is in the heart orf the town by the waterfall. The Lutter and Wegner restaurant is a local institution. The interiors are wood panelled and the bedrooms elegant. A smart and romantic choice.
For an all rounder
- Hotel Salzburgerhof - Bang in the middle of town this 145 bedroomed classic hotel has fantastic facilities. It is great for all ages with its games rooms, spa, indoor pool etc. Plus there's lively ‘apres ski’ in the bar and highly regarded Austrian cuisine in the restaurant.
For an apartment or chalet
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- The nearest airports to Bad Gastein are Salzburg (1.5 hours away) and Munich (2.5 hours away).
- In the winter, most people go to the resort to enjoy the snow and snowsports available. In the summer tourists tend to enjoy the hikinh and biking.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through all our best places to stay in Bad Gastein
- Expand your search to include Bad Hofgastein
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bad Gastein
Best Hotels in Bad Gastein
Haus Hirt Bad Gastein 30 rooms from £74Skiing - The Gasteinertal ski area is one of Austria's best resorts. The hotel shuttle to the lift makes for easy access to the slopes.Active Holiday - From skiing to yoga or golf there's a bevy of activities in and out of the hotel to keep everyone active.Spa breaks - Enjoy the small, but perfectly formed, spa with glorious alpine views and Aveda products.Great walks - Year-round hiking trials start right from the hotel front door.
A stunning alpine hotel focused on wellness. Simple, contemporary design using neutral tones and wood with plenty of light creates a tranquil environment. Large glass fronted walls make the most of spectacular views. A gorgeous Aveda spa and organic cuisine. A mountain delight. See More
Hotel Alpenblick, Bad Gastein Bad Gastein 32 rooms from £89Families - Family suites, epic views, stunning outdoor pool and a spa at budget friendly price.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Views - Great views from hotelSpa
A quaint hotel with great alpine views, simple, well-appointed rooms and family suites. Hearty Austrian cuisine to hit the spot after a day outdoors. A stunning outdoor pool and thermal baths provide relaxation in true Bad Gastein style. The great value makes this an ideal choice for families. See More
Das Regina Bad Gastein 32 rooms from £95Spa - Finnish sauna, steam bath, relaxation area, Bad Gastein thermal watersViews - Breathtaking views of the mountains of Hohe Tavern National ParkGreat walks - Hiking trails, nature trails and Nordic walkingSights nearby - Close to Bad Gastein's famous waterfall
Beautifully modernised Belle Epoque hotel in the famous spa town of Bad Gastein, former haunt of royalty and celebrities. Airy designer rooms with vintage touches blend urban pizzazz with shabby chic. Jaw-dropping alpine views. Excellent food. Huge range of outdoor activities winter and summer. See More
Hotel Miramonte Bad Gastein 36 rooms from £108Romantic Break - Unwind on a wellness package or make the most of the alpine activities. Either way, an ideal spot for a romantic getaway.Spa breaks - A charming wellness haven complete with yoga, an Aveda spa and thermal baths.Great walks - Guided tours of the mountain are offered several times a week.Views - Great views from hotel
Villa Solitude Bad Gastein 9 rooms from £152Romantic Break - This quaint property with award winning restaurant and stunning views over the mountians, makes an ideal romantic get away.Active Holiday - There are endless alpine activities to keep the adventurous occupied, available straight from the hotel.Great walks - Head out for a wander to the lovely Bad Gastein waterfalls.Romantic - Good for couples.
An imposing alpine property dating back to 1838. Traditional styled interiors, elegant bedrooms with wood panelled walls, crisp linen and large bathrooms. The Lutter & Wegner restaurant is a local institution with a great wine list and epic views of the Bad Gastein waterfall. A romantic choice. See More
Hotel Salzburgerhof, Bad Gastein Bad Gastein 145 rooms from £238Families - An ideal spot for a fun filled holiday, with games room, kids playground and plenty of bars and restaurants for mum and dad.Spa breaks - Bad Gastein is well known for it's spas as a spa town and Hotel Salzburgerhof is no dissapointment with an extensive spa.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Romantic - Good for couples.
A has-it-all hotel with wonderful panoramic views. Elegant rooms, with simple classic design. Everything from a spa to a climbing wall ensures of keeping everyone entertained. Austrian alpine cuisine in the restaurant and great Après Ski at the bar. An excellent choice for families. See More