Search the best hotels in Punakha
Punakha was Bhutan’s capital until 1961, and this is where you’ll find the regal buildings you would expect to find in an ancient capital. The dzong is the main attraction, it’s extremely photogenic, sitting on an island between two rivers. You reach it via a wooden bridge, and inside are all the treasures you’d expect to find in a royal palace.
The Best Places to Stay in Punakha
- Dhensa is right in the heart of the Punakha Valley, with valley views from all of the 24 rooms and suites. Inside the hotel is sleek and contemporary, with lots of light coloured wood and big French windows. There’s also an excellent spa. But you’re just ten minutes walk from a traditional Buddhist convent.
Some of the Most Romantic Places to Stay in Punakha
- The Como Uma Punakha is a luxurious lodge escape at the end of the Punakha Valley. There are just 11 rooms, with beautiful green valley views, plus regional artwork and Sheesham-wood furniture. There’s a private villa too. And a stylish restaurant.
- Amankora Punakha is another luxurious lodge, this time on the other side of a dramatic suspension bridge over the Mo Chu River in the Punakha Valley. Once over the bridge you’ll be rewarded with 12 luxury rooms and suites, a beautiful infinity pool and a two storey spa with incredible views of this dramatic, subtropical valley.
Prefer an Apartment or private Villa?
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Bhutan’s only international airport is the Paro International Airport, which is connected to Bangkok, Delhi, Mumbai, Dhaka and Singapore. Interestingly Bhutan has no railways, so the only other way to travel is by road.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Punakha for you?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Bhutan?
- or the best places to stay in Thimphu? or Paro?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Punakha
Best Hotels in Punakha
Dhensa Punakha 24 rooms from £290Local exploring - Set just 10 minutes' walk from a Buddhist convent, there is lots of local culture to explore close to this hotelRomantic Break - Couples love the contemporary design of this luxury hotel; book a couples' massage for a romantic evening inSpa breaks - Offering yoga, spa treatments and an outdoor hot-stone bath, book this hotel for your next spa breakSights nearby - Walk to the Sangchhen Dorji Lhuendrup Lhakhang convent, perched on a ridge amid pines, for morning prayers
This boutique hotel is located in the heart of Bhutan's verdant Punakha Valley. Guestrooms are sleek and contemporary with crisp white linens, wooden accents and valley views from a private balcony; soak in the bathtub with vistas from French windows. Book into the holistic hotel spa; a chic escape. See More
COMO Uma Punakha Punakha 11 rooms from £375Back to Nature - Set in a remote location in the Himalayan Kingdom, this hotel is perfect for a tranquil back-to-nature retreatLocal exploring - This hotel is perfectly placed for easy access to attractions like Punakha Dzong and Divine Madman’s TempleRomantic Break - Couples love the stylish and contemporary suites at this hotel; book a private villa for added indulgenceSights nearby - Visit the Punakha Dzong, the second oldest and largest dzong in Bhutan and one of the most spectacular structures in the country
This luxury lodge is located on the western end of the Punakha Valley in Bhutan. The bright and airy guestrooms feature Sheesham-wood furniture, regional artwork and sweeping valley views; book a private villa for a separate living room and terrace. Dine at Bukhari Restaurant; a stylish getaway. See More
Amankora Punakha Punakha 12 rooms from £823Spa breaks - With a two-storey spa onsite that includes a yoga/meditation room and steam room, book this hotel for your next spa breakBack to Nature - With a spectacular location overlooking a pretty, subtropical valley, this hotel makes a unique nature retreatRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic atmosphere at this former farmhouse hotel; book a suite for a cosy living roomSights nearby - Visit the beautiful 17th-century Punakha Dzong and the 15th-century fertility temple Chime LhakhangRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This luxury lodge is reached via a suspension bridge over the Mo Chhu River in Bhutan's Punakha Valley. Guestrooms feature a king-size bed, traditional wood-burning stove and banquette window-seat; book a suite for a separate living area. Unwind in the infinity pool; an exclusive valley retreat. See More