Search the best hotels in Thimphu
Thimphu is Bhutan’s capital city, and the largest in Bhutan. But it’s only been the capital since 1961, so, despite there being a dzong here since the 13th Century, it’s certainly not an ancient place. It’s being built into a very well planned capital city, but it’s not quite there yet, it does have lots of green space and well organised roads to the highlights, places like the National Folk Heritage Museum, the Alaya Gallery, the Royal Textile Academy and the three main dzongs: Tashichho Dzong, Trashi Chhloe Dzong and Simtokha Dzong.
What not to Miss
- Tashichho Dzong on the edge of Thimpu is a particularly impressive dzong, but like monasteries, Bhutan’s landscape is dotted with dzongs of all shapes and sizes. The older ones are less impressive, but there are some very elegant dzongs with triple tiered golden roofs.
The Best Places to Stay in Thimphu
Some of the Most Romantic Places to Stay in Thimphu
- In a beautiful spot in the Thimphu Valley with views of the mountains on all sides, the Taj Tashi is a five-star hotels with a contemporary feel, despite it’s gorgeously golden, traditional looking facade. The rooms are plush, but still feel cosy, and there’s a spa to help you really unwind, so it’s got the feel of a luxurious back to nature retreat, if that’s a ‘thing’.
- The Zhiwa Ling Ascent is a chic mountain retreat in Upper Mothitang, just outside Thimphu. It has 20 elegant rooms and suites, all with incredible views, and some with living space. There’s also a rooftop lounge.
- Amankora Thimphu is a traditional style hotel just outside Thumphu, with rooms laid out like monk’s quarters, with minimalist decor and stone and wood accents. It’s very comfortable, though, complete with a spa and excellent restaurant.
The Best Places to Stay in Central Thimphu
- The Druk Hotel is a 67 room hotel in a great position on one of Thimphu’s main squares. Rooms and suite have a rustic feel, though it’s a decor choice not at the expense of comfort or mod. cons.. Many rooms have views of the Wangchu River, and the best have private balconies as well.
Prefer an Apartment or private Villa?
If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
The Best Value Places to Stay in Thimphu
- The Hotel Osel in the Thimphu valley is bright and contemporary, with large windows overlooking the valley in all of the 35 rooms. In addition to rooms they also have suites with their own kitchenettes and living rooms and the hotel restaurant has a beautiful terrace.
- Bhutan’s only international airport is the Paro International Airport, which is connected to Bangkok, Delhi, Mumbai, Dhaka and Singapore. Interestingly Bhutan has no railways, so the only other way to travel is by road.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Thimphu for you?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Bhutan?
- or the best places to stay in Paro? or Punakha?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Thimphu
Best Hotels in Thimphu
Hotel Osel Thimphu 35 rooms from £56Romantic Break - Couples like the modern design of this hotel; book a suite for a romantic soaking tub with valley viewsCity Style - Set in the capital of Bhutan and boasting a contemporary finish, this hotel has lots of city styleLocal exploring - Situated in the heart of the Thimphu Valley, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringLocal markets - Shop like a local with a trip to the Centenary Farmers Market, a fruit and vegetable market with an array of fresh local produce
This four-star hotel is located in the Thimphu Valley in Bhutan. Guestrooms are bright and contemporary with large windows offering views of the Sitting Buddha or the Tashicho Dzong; book a suite for a separate living room and kitchenette. Enjoy al fresco dining at the restaurant; a chic city hotel. See More
Druk Hotel Thimphu (Wogzin Lam) 67 rooms from £107City Style - Having undergone a fresh renovation, this hotel now offers stylish suites with a blend of local and contemporary designLocal exploring - Set in the heart of Thimphu in one of the town's main squares, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples rate this four-star hotel highly; book the Valley View room for a private balconySights nearby - Visit the Tashichhoedzong, a Buddhist monastery and fortress on the northern edge of the city, on the west bank of the Wang Chu
This classic, four-star hotel is located in Thimphu, Bhutan. Newly renovated, most guestrooms boast views of the Wangchu River. Interiors are warm and inviting with rustic-style furnishings and cosy linens; book a luxury suite for a private balcony. Book into the revitalising spa; a charming stay. See More
Zhiwa Ling Ascent Thimphu (Upper Mothitang) 20 rooms from £114Local exploring - With a privileged mountain setting there are great activities available local to this hotel, from hiking to visiting monasteriesCountry Escape - Located in the mountain ascent outside of the city centre, this hotel makes a tranquil escape to the countryRomantic Break - Couples score this modern heritage hotel highly; book a couples' massage treatment for a romantic evening inSights nearby - Visit the National Memorial Chorten, a monument to the Third Druk Gyalpo and an excellent example of Buddhist architecture
This mountain retreat hotel is located in the Upper Mothitang region of Thimphu in Bhutan. The elegant, modern guestrooms are elevated for views of the mountains and cypress trees; book a premium room for extra living space and an ensuite bath. Unwind with drinks at the rooftop lounge; a chic hotel. See More
Taj Tashi Thimphu (Samten Lam Chubachu) 66 rooms from £330Local exploring - This hotel is perfectly placed for exploring Bhutan's cultural landscape, with easy access to monasteries and mountain passesRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic suites at this luxury hotel; book a couples' massage at the spa for a romantic evening inBack to Nature - Set in the heart of the Thimphu Valley, this hotel makes a unique, luxury back-to-nature retreatSights nearby - Visit Tashichho Dzong, a landmark Buddhist monastery and fort with city views
This hotel offers five-star, luxury accommodation in Bhutan’s Thimphu Valley. Suites blend contemporary design with local style; expect plush linens, latticework screens and cosy rugs. Book a superior suite for a private terrace with mountain views. Unwind at the Jiva Spa; a chic mountain retreat. See More
Amankora Thimpu Thimphu (Paro) 16 rooms from £823Local exploring - Set just five minutes outside of the town of Thimphu, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringCountry Escape - Set in a rural location outside of Thimphu town centre, this hotel has a tranquil country atmosphereRomantic Break - Couples love the luxury feel to this lodge; book a couples' spa treatment for a romantic evening inFull of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This dzong-style hotel is set in the Motithang area outside of Thimphu in Bhutan. Rooms are laid out like monks' quarters and feature minimalist lines with stone and wood accents; a johari stove is prepared daily and there are armchairs and a windowseat for lounging. Unwind in the spa; a chic stay. See More