Search the best hotels in Trancoso
As hippies mourn the journey to mainstream of their havens in Goa and Thailand, places like Trancoso still manage to retain their authentic sheen. Situated on Bahia's Discovery Coast - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - Trancoso has historically remained unspoilt by mass tourism due to being hemmed in by impenetrable jungle on all sides. Favoured by celebrities seeking solace and respite, European hippies and artists, it is the ideal place to get away from it all. And the best places to stay in aTrancoso are an eclectic mix to suit all of these and more, from chic boutiques to luxury seaside stays.
With a 15 mile stretch of golden sandy beach, music festivals, moon dancing ceremonies and parties that keep going well into the early hours, it is a town steeped in rustic simplicity and charm. Time moves slowly here; the days blur hazily into one.
You will find locals trundling without a care in the world from their palm-shaded hammocks to the golden beach, while others meander gently down the shop-lined roads, past minimalist designer boutiques and smoothie bars; on certain days, the village elders congregate around the Table of Old beneath the tallest tree, while local fishermen beach their brightly coloured boats along the shoreline.
In the centre of town you'll find the church of Sao Joao Batista, built in the late 16th-century, from coral rock and whale bones. Surrounding it are little adobe houses and fishermen's cottages with colourful facades of pink, sky-blue and banana-yellow.
At the beach, you can watch holidaymakers canter down the long golden beach on horseback, while smoothie-slurping hippies conduct yoga sessions late into dusk. Hippies arguably saved the town from extinction after flocking there in the late 70s, bringing with them roads, electricity, yoga, smoothies and international celebrities. You'll likely enough see Oscar-winning actors, Victoria Secret models and CNN anchors all floating aimlessly around the village.
Festivals abound here: the Festival of Sao Bras in February is wild - a 36-hour party. The Musica em Trancoso is a jazz, classical and traditional Brazilian music festival occurring between the Carnival and Easter.
What not to miss
- Spend days on the beautiful stretch of sandy beach and for something different, go horse riding along it.
- Find some spiritual solace in the Sao Joao Batista church, a 16th-century chapel made from whale bones and coral rock.
- Join a guided excursion into the depths of the jungle surrounding the town.
- Join in the festivities at the Festival of Sao Bras in February and party for days on end!
- Join in a sunset yoga session at the beach.
- Relax at the Quadrado amongst the locals playing football and children running wild.
This is a holiday destination with much to offer, so browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Trancoso, to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Trancoso
Value for money
- Hosperia Do Quadrado: an absolute steal in terms of value for money, a small seaside boutique property offering lovely whitewashed rooms decorated with light wooden furniture and furnished with hammocks. Ideal for young couples.
- Pousada Quarto Crescente: a delightful family-run guest house located 6 minutes from the beach in Trancoso. Offering spacious and bright rooms and an outdoor pool. Enjoy a delectable buffet breakfast every morning with fresh fruits from the garden before heading to the beach.
- Casa de Pera'Inda: offering smart, individually designed designer rooms and a welcoming atmosphere. Enjoy the swimming pool or ride a horse along the beach.
- Etnia Pousada and Boutique: a tropical paradise offering rustic-chic bungalows with lush contemporary interiors. Pamper yourself at the spa or relax on your private terrace.
- Pousada Capim Santo: an eco-friendly pousada located less than a mile from the beach, offering contemporary rooms with simple decor, an outdoor pool amidst a tropical garden and a hot tub. The indulgent buffet breakfast each morning is a particular highlight!
- Uxua Casa Hotel: the trendiest place in town and the original hippie-run hotel, offering beautifully decorated wooden casas adorned with Brazilian art and antiques. Pure luxury.
- Villas de Trancoso: perfect for golfers and surfers, this beautiful property features Cabana style suites beneath the palms, white sand on your doorstep, an infinity pool, a fantastic seafood restaurant, and a golf course.
- Bahia Bonita: ideal for a honeymoon, offering beach cabanas dotted amid lush gardens. Romantic suites have four poster beds, wooden floors and private balconies and the hotel boasts its own private beach.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly from Rio to Porto Seguro and get public transport to Trancoso, about 1.5 hours away.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- Trancoso is a tropical year round destination. The best time to go is during the summer when the average high is around 26 degrees celsius and when there is the least rainfall - peak season is December to March. Avoid April to June when rainfall is at its highest.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include nearby Arraial d'Ajuda
- or all the best places to stay in Bahia.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Trancoso
Best Hotels in Trancoso
Biribandos Boutique Pousada Trancoso (Centro) 6 rooms from £37Local exploring - With a fantastic, central location in Trancoso, this hotel is the perfect starting point for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the quiet, relaxed atmosphere at this adults-only, small boutique hotelCity Style - With boutique, rustic interiors, this hotel has lots of local Bahian styleSights nearby - Visit the historic Quadrado Square, where the original houses from the first Jesuit settlement in Bahia still stand
This boutique pousada is located in central Trancoso, a stone's throw from the historic Quadrado Square. Guestrooms feature stylish interiors in an earthy palette with natural accents and a private balcony. Eat breakfast on the terrace or have a night-cap at the cosy bar; an inviting boutique hotel. See More
Hosperia Do Quadrado Trancoso from £54Value chic - A small stylish property just a short walk from the beach and all at a very reasonable price.Sailing - The hotel can help arrange sailing expeditions.Surfing - Rise early and head out to catch some waves.Restrictions on children - Children over 10yrs old available.
Pousada Quarto Crescente Trancoso 24 rooms from £80Diving - If snorkelling's not enough for you then there's ample opportunity in Trancoso to go scuba divingSurfing - Great weather and excellent waves make this a superb surfing spotGreat walks - There are plenty of great hiking trails all around all the areaRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This family-run guest house is located 6 minutes away from the beach in Trancoso. It offers extremely spacious, well-lit rooms and boasts an outdoor pool. Enjoy a large buffet breakfast each morning with fresh fruits from the garden before heading to the beach. A charming, friendly and stylish spot! See More
Pousada Seis e Meia Trancoso 14 rooms from £63Families - With family suites available that can accommodate children, this hotel is great for parents travelling with the familyCity Style - With minimalist interiors featuring natural accents, this hotel has lots of local Trancoso styleLocal exploring - Boasting a central Trancoso location, this hotel is a good starting point for local exploringSights nearby - Stroll down to Quadrado Square, the historic centre of Trancoso lined by colourful houses
This chic pousada is located in central Trancoso, Bahia. Guestrooms feature comfortable beds, crisp, white linens and natural accents, plus a private patio; book a family room to accommodate children. Unwind by the outdoor pool, on the terrace or wander the verdant gardens; a charming, cosy pousada. See More
Pousada Capim Santo Trancoso (Quadrado) 17 rooms from £98Beach Life - With the beautiful sandy beach less than a mile away you can easily wander over and spend your days by the seasideActive Holiday - There are plenty of activities both on land and on water to keep you busy and making the most out of the weatherDiving - Go scuba diving for an unforgettable experience and discover the diverse local marine lifeGreat walks - Head out for long walks along the beach at sunset to truly appreciate the area's beauty
This eco friendly pousada is situated in central Trancoso, less than a mile from the beach. It features contemporary rooms with a simple decor, a beautiful outdoor pool in the midst of a tropical garden and a hot tub. Be sure to enjoy their wonderful buffet breakfast each morning! A tranquil spot. See More
Casa da Vanessa Trancoso 5 rooms from £112Local exploring - With a prime seafront location in Trancoso, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in BahiaBeach Life - Located a stone's throw from the beach, these private villas are a great choice for a seaside holidayFamilies - With self-catering facilities, a garden and swimming pool, this hotel is well-suited to familiesSights nearby - Visit Quadrado Square close to the hotel, the historic centre of Trancoso lined with colourful houses
This stylish hotel offers accommodation next to Praia dos Coqueiros in Trancoso, Brazil. Guest chalets are bright and airy with elegant wooden furnishings, self-catering facilities and a terrace; book the largest chalet for a garden and family living space. Unwind by the pool; a charming beach stay. See More
Casa de Pera'Inda Trancoso 5 rooms from £200Local exploring - Perfect for exploring Trancoso and the surrounding coastline.Sights nearby - Explore local sights of interest such as the Culture House of Trancoso and Quadrado Square.Diving - Diving trips can be organised by the hotel.Full of character
Loaded with charm and character, Casa de Pera'Inda combines excellent service with a welcoming, convivial atmosphere. It offers smart, stylishly designed rooms with elegant furnishings and tasteful decor. Recline poolside or go on a horse trek through the surrounding jungle. See More
Bahia Bonita Trancoso (Bonita - BA) from £179Beach LifeSights nearby - Church of St. John the Baptist.Four poster beds - For romantics.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Fodors
Etnia Pousada and Boutique Trancoso 8 rooms from £235Chic - Boho chic in one of Brazil's hippest villages.Private villas - The hotel comprises 8 themed bungalows.Beach LifeRestrictions on children - No children under the age of 14 are permitted.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Villas de Trancoso Trancoso (Praia dos Nativios) from £316Beach LifeSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller, Kiwi Collection
Uxua Casa Hotel Trancoso 10 rooms from £340Private villas - 10 individual casas.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Beach LifeChicRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Estrela D'Agua Trancoso (Bahia) 28 rooms from £354Local exploring - This hotel is in a great location for exploring the coast of Bahia and its endless sandy beachesRomantic Break - Book a private bungalow with a hot tub for added indulgence on your next couples getawayBeach Life - Nestled on the beach itself, this hotel is a great choice for a seaside getawayDiving - Take diving classes through the hotel and explore the natural wonders under the surface of the crystalline watersRecommended by - Tablet
This charming hotel offers suites and private bungalows nestled on Trancoso Beach in Bahia, Brazil. Interiors are inspired by the Caribbean setting and feature crisp white drapes and uplifting shades of blue; book the Costa bungalow for pretty sea views. Book into the spa; an inviting beach hotel. See More