Search the best hotels in Montréal
Canada’s cultural capital, Montréal is a beautiful fusion of old and new, with striking heritage architecture, modern skyscrapers, enchanting museums and trendy rooftop bars. There’s an excellent array of accommodation options, from small modern hotels to imposing luxury edifices to fit a whole range of budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Montréal promises something to suit any discerning traveller: from swish, design-minded visitors eager to unpack their bags downtown, to romantic couples dreaming of unwinding in riverside bliss.
Explore Montréal’s charming old town, characterised by grand stone buildings, before strolling down to the Vieux Port for a glimpse into the city’s trading past. Converted waterfront warehouse hotels in this neighbourhood offer a chic, laid-back feel, whilst Old Montréal is home to elegantly restored Beaux-Arts façades housing lovely hotels, boutiques and restaurants. Admire the striking Basilica of Notre-Dame, the Museum of Fine Arts, and the Botanical Gardens, as well as popping into the many lovely churches dotted around the city. The Rue St Denis well worth discovering, as is the street art of the St. Laurent Boulevard. Alternatively, for slick, contemporary luxury, head downtown, where trendy hotels offer spectacular views of the city’s modern skyline.
This is a seriously exciting city for food and culture, with a brilliant programme of lively musical, theatrical and culinary events throughout the year. Look out for small galleries, exhibition spaces, live music venues and pop-ups showcasing fabulous talents.
For an immersion into Montréal’s fascinating French past, explore Plateau Mont-Royal, packed with vintage and bohemian cafes, galleries and shops, whilst trendy Mile End also makes for a fun wander. With a huge array of cuisines on offer — in hipster bars, tiny patisseries or smart bistros — there’s no shortage of eateries and watering holes in which to relax and refuel.
Although Montréal’s winters are immensely cold, this is a popular year-round destination, so book your stay well in advance to avoid missing out! Whether you’re looking to amble through characterful markets, delve into the charm of the old town or perch on a terrace soaking up some live late-night jazz, the best places to stay in Montréal offer the perfect opportunity to unwind before another day of adventure.
The Best Places to Stay in Montréal
For historic Old Montréal
- Hotel Gault is a striking boutique hotel with 30 suites in the heart of historic Montréal. With lofts, suites, terraces and apartments featuring stylish 20th century pieces and flooded with natural light, a great bar and restaurant and a smart business centre, this is a great choice for both leisure and business travellers.
- Hotel St Paul offers well-appointed guest rooms in a beautiful Beaux-Arts building. Pick this place for a swanky city stay with impressive views of Old Montréal and the city’s modern skyline. There is an excellent fitness centre, business facilities, and a fabulously popular restaurant — superb for foodies.
- Hotel Epik is a lovely nine room hotel housed in a historic building in Old Montréal. The decor is totally modern — expect stainless steel, crisp white sheets and smart leather sofas — but the crooked wooden beams and exposed stone walls reflect the structure’s wonderful character. Pick this place for a friendly boutique spot with rooftop tapas.
- Le Saint Sulpice is a luxurious modern hotel in a heritage building just opposite the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montréal. Expect smart city style in spacious suites with all the mod-cons. One for modern-minded travellers keen to stay in the old part of town.
- Hotel Nelligan features classic style in generously-proportioned bedrooms with exposed brickwork and leather upholstery. Set in four imposing 1850s buildings in the old town, this property pays tribute to the famed nineteenth century poet Émile Nelligan. The rooftop terrace is one of Montréal’s most popular!
For Vieux Port
- Auberge du Vieux Port is a charming riverside hotel tucked in a restored historic warehouse. Think cosy bedrooms with exposed brick walls, classic casement windows and original oak floors. The laid-back tavern-style restaurant and rooftop terrace are wonderful places to soak up the relaxed vibe. Ideal for exploring Old Montréal.
- Hotel William Gray offers luxurious contemporary accommodation close to the port — best admired from the lively bar on the roof terrace. Interiors are a sophisticated blend of modern design meets historic architecture, perfect for the well-heeled traveller. Book this chic hotel for the 5,600 sq. ft. spa.
For a modern downtown stay
- Hotel Monville is an ultra-modern downtown design hotel. Picture minimalist rooms with whites, greys and light pinks against a backdrop of wood and steel accents. Views over the city skyline are especially impressive and the restaurant is excellent. One for lovers of pared-back modern design.
- Hotel Le Germain Montreal is a luxurious contemporary hotel with minimalist, 1960s-inspired decor. Generously-proportioned rooms promise comfort and indulgence, with cosy robes, Aveda products and fun swinging chairs. Book The Round Room for the ultimate ‘60s bed! The bar and restaurant are sophisticated and very cool. A slick city pick.
- Le Mount Stephen features 90 beautifully-appointed rooms and suites in the heart of Montréal’s Golden Square Mile. Elegant contemporary decor promises comfort and sophistication in a striking heritage building, originally the home of the illustrious Lord Mount Stephen.The luxurious spa and lavish gourmet restaurant are a real treat.
- Ritz Carlton Montreal is an opulent five star hotel in downtown Montréal. Think chandeliers, hardwood floors, beautiful rugs and sumptuous linens. Relax in the champagne bar, take a dip in the heated saltwater pool and unwind at the spa before sampling delectable gourmet fare. Absolute luxury.
- Le Petit Hotel is a hip and trendy 28-room boutique retreat in a nineteenth-century warehouse. Expect exposed brick walls and contemporary art, as well as a great Old Montréal location and a lovely onsite café. Single travellers can nab a cosy Small Room, whilst families will love the Extra Large Rooms (which sleep 4), and the in-room Nintendo Wii is sure to prove popular with the kids!
- Hotel Le Crystal is a gleaming tower of a five-star hotel on the fashionable Rue de la Montagne. There are 131 stylish rooms and suites — including many family-focused options — as well as an indoor pool and rooftop hot tub. The spa is ideal for grown-ups looking to unwind, whilst the pet-friendly ethos means the whole family really can come along.
- Le Place d'Armes Hotel & Suites is a sophisticated couples’ choice in a neoclassical building near the striking Notre-Dame Basilica. Chic suites feature urban decor and indulgent bathrooms with free-standing baths. Treat yourself to Japanese cuisine, rooftop cocktails and soothing massages at the spa. Wonderfully romantic!
- Hotel Le St-James offers elegant rooms and suites with antique four-posters and chandeliers, in an exceptional historic edifice on famed St Jacques Street. The gourmet restaurant is a real stand-out, whilst the couples’ spa treatments and old-world glamour make this an appealingly romantic option.
For great value
- Le Relais Lyonnais is a charming seven bedroom hotel in the Latin Quarter. Housed in a 130 year-old building, the property retains many lovely period features, yet the decor is simple and modern. Don’t miss sampling the onsite French restaurant! A great value choice.
- The Hotel Chez Swann is an affordable 23 room boutique hotel close to the centre of town. A particular focus on light and textiles have created a vibrant contemporary vibe, with lots of deep reds in the bedrooms and quirky, monochrome bathrooms. Modern and reasonably-priced.
For a self-catering apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Montréal's Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport, 20 kilometres from the city centre, or take the train to Montréal Central Station.
- This is a striking region to explore by road. If you would like to hire a car, we suggest that you contact our online partner Rentalcars.
- Montréal is a year-round destination with four defined seasons each offering their own charm. Summers range from warm to hot and humid, whilst spring and autumn are generally mild and winters very cold and snowy. Travel in the spring or summer for outdoor events aplenty!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our recommended properties in Quebec
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Ottawa.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Montréal
Best Hotels in Montréal
Hotel Gault Montréal (Quebec) 30 rooms from £80Sights nearby - Notre Dame Basilica is a towering Gothic revival building worth seeing.Restaurant - But only serves breakfast, brunch and lunch.Great walks - Along the 14km of Lachine Canal.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
Boutique all suites hotel in heart of historic Montreal. From lofts to terrace suites to apartments, all are contemporary in style, and boast huge windows for great city views. Gault restaurant serves breakfast, brunch and lunch plus drinks around the clock. A luxury spot for business or leisure. See More
Le Relais Lyonnais Québec 7 rooms from £92Sights nearby - In close proximity to le Palais des Congres, la Place des Arts and the Musee D’Art ContemporainBoutiqueRestaurant - Recommended.
A 4* hotel set in the Latin Quarter in an 130 year old building that's been painstakingly brought into the 21st century. Merging old Montreal charm and modernity the light airy rooms offer crisp linen and suave leather seating. La Brioche Lyonnaise serves up an extensive french menu. See More
Hotel Epik West Montréal 9 rooms from £95Sights nearby - Take a walk down to the Clock Tower modelled on Big BenBoutiqueRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Fodors
A boutique 9 room hotel with modern decor in the heart of Old Montreal. All exposed stone walls against slick stainless steel and leather furniture. Bag the penthouse for the ultimate in open plan living. Sample the chef's tapas whilst enjoying the view of Notre Dame Basilica on the roof terrace. See More
Hotel Chez Swann Montréal (Quebec) 23 rooms from £103Great walks - Along the large river, cross over to the other side.Sights nearby - Walking distance to Montreal Museum of Fine arts.Views - Great views from hotelLively - Hip and happening.
A boutique with unique use of art, light, sensual textures and materials. Vibrancy runs through the contemporary rooms and designer bathrooms. Restaurants are all around so delve into a world of different cuisines. Explore the city with the ease of a metro ride or on foot. See More
Hotel St Paul Montréal (Quebec) 119 rooms from £112Sights nearby - Go and be in awe of the gothic revival Notre-Dame Basilica.Great walks - Explore Waterfront and the Lachine Canal district.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Beautiful building standing tall in Vieux Montréal offering a prime location, business, fitness facilities and a lively bar. Large modern rooms with crisp linens and smart bathrooms. If you dream of charcuterie boards & mouth watering menus, then Hambar is the one for you. Have a swanky city stay. See More
Auberge du Vieux Port Montréal (Quebec) 45 rooms from £139Local markets - Jean-Talon Market is a fantastic place to see Montreal's vibrance and catch a bite to go.Sights nearby - Head north to Le Marché Bonsecours to see one of Canada's finest historical buildings.Lively - Hip and happening.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
A great location with river views, loft-like rooms with warm exposed brick, iron frame beds and modern bathrooms. A comfortable city-escape. Taverne Gaspar is casual pub food with fine Bourbons to match, or head for the hotel's rooftop bar and admire the fabulous views of the old city skyline. See More
Hotel Le Germain Montreal Montréal (Quebec) 101 rooms from £142Great walks - Parc du Mont-Royal is closeby and a great bit of urban green to stroll around.Sights nearby - Proximity to Peel metro station makes the city your oyster.Views - Great views from hotelLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
This contemporary hotel welcomes guests with open spaces and minimal interiors. Large rooms are all about pampering with plush robes, Aveda products, glass walled bathrooms and nespresso machines. Pick up breakfast with a local newspaper and kick off your day the right way. See More
Le Saint Sulpice Montréal 108 rooms from £147Great walks - Take a walking tour of Old Montreal's architectural treasures, around The Banks of St-Jacques St.Sights nearby - Basilica of Notre-Dame A masterpiece of Gothic Revival architecture built between 1824 and 1829.Lively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
A luxury hotel sitting just opposite the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montréal. The spacious and elegant suites come with a range of exceptional bonuses such as nespresso machines, kitchens and sit out terraces. The glass walled restaurant is sophisticated and full of light. A grownup city escape! See More
Hotel Le Crystal Montréal 131 rooms from £158Romantic Break - Pamper yourselves with cocktails in the hot tub and suave suites boasting 300 thread count linens and floor to ceiling windows.City Style - Chic interiors, fantastic food, superb spa, salt water pool and 5 star service in the hip downtown of Montreal.Sights nearby - The Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art and the Place des Arts Performing Arts Center are within a 20 minute walk.Swimming Pool - Salt water poolRecommended by - Frommers, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
A gleaming tower on the fashionable rue de la Montagne, in the heart of Montréal’s trendy downtown. Modern rooms feature large windows with epic city views and spa bathrooms, some with free standing baths. Indulge yourself at the spa or in the rooftop hot tub! A stylish choice with chic bar. See More
Le Place d'Armes Hotel & Suites Montréal 133 rooms from £162Great walks - Grab a bite while strolling along Place Jacques Cartie, originally the gardens to the Château Vaudreuil dates back to 1803.Fishing - Right by the Clock Tower in Old Mnotreal, “Ice Fishing Village” is open every winter.Local markets - Visit the famed Underground Market, an elaborate tunnel about 32 km long.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
A beautiful neoclassical hotel opposite the famed Notre-Dame Basilica, Old Montreal. The luxurious suites feature urban chic decor, feather and down beds and original art works. Indulge in rooftop cocktails, Japanese cuisine or pampering spa treatments. Sophisticated and urbane. See More
Le Petit Hotel Montréal 28 rooms from £174Great walks - Visit the Montreal Botanical Gardens for a lovely walk in these exotic flower gardens.Local markets - For a European style market lined with boutique shops visit the Place Jacques-Cartier.Sights nearby - The famed Notre Dame Basilica is just minutes away.Lively - Hip and happening.
A trendy boutique hotel in the famed Old Montreal district. The decor perfectly marries past with present: rustic exposed brick walls with clean lines and contemporary art. The European style café serves artisan coffee and homemade snacks. A hip gem in this historic area. See More
Hotel Nelligan Montréal (Quebec) 105 rooms from £183Great walks - Along the river or the canal you will find great pathways to take a leisurely stroll the explore the city.Sights nearby - A hop and a skip away is the gothic revival Notre Dame Basilica Montreal.Views - Great views from hotelLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
1850 historical building paying tribute to Quebec's poet Émile Nelligan. Contemporary and classic in style with exposed red brick, leather upholstery and wooden detailing make up the spacious rooms. Verses Restaurant offers contemporary dishes al fresco or inside, either way always with fine wines. See More
Hotel William Gray Montréal (Vieux-Montréal) 127 rooms from £191Romantic Break - First class acommodation in the heart of Old Montreal, the ideal choice for a romantic getawayLocal exploring - Hotel William Gray enjoys a wonderful location-perfect for getting to know MontrealCity Style - Contemporary and chic interiors complemented with local artwork adorning the wallsGreat walks - Wander along the quaint Old Port to get a feel for the city's history or head up the mountain and enjoy the fabulous views
William Gray is a renovated period house offering luxurious contemporary accommodation in the historic Old Town. Interiors are a sophisticated blend of modern design meets historic architecture. There's a popular, buzzy bar and various dining options, plus roof top terraces for epic city views. See More
Hotel Monville Montréal 269 rooms from £164Contemporary - With its striking glass and concrete exterior, plus up-to-the-minute interiors this is a must if you like things modernCity Style - Choose this property for an ultra-modern stay in downtown MontrealSights nearby - With its great location between the Old Port and Chinatown, the Manville is close to Montreal's highlightsRestaurant - The restaurant seves delicious dishes which you can either take away or dine inRecommended by - Tablet
A swish ultra-modern hotel in Montreal's Downtown. Minimalist rooms have every creature comfort and some you would have never thought of such as robotic room-service! The superb restaurant serves up contemporary dishes inspired by multi-cultural Montreal. A very chic stay. See More
Hotel Le St James Montréal 60 rooms from £176Great walks - Stretching from the Old Port to Rue Notre-Dame in Old Montréal are the gardens of Place Jacques-Cartier.Sights nearby - Notre Dame Montreal and the Old Port are just minutes away.Lively - Hip and happening.Four poster beds - For romantics.
Le Mount Stephen Montréal 90 rooms from £228City Style - With giant wrap around fireplaces, snappy stand alone tubs, lavish bathrooms, and floor to ceiling windows looking over the cityDesigner Shopping - Montreal’s Golden Square Mile is dotted with chic boutiques, make sure to pack light as you won't be able to resist!Other Activities - The hotel offers a 24 hour gym and spa, so you can roll out of bed and straight onto the treadmillFoodies - The buzzy restaurant housed in the historic mansion, is the spot to be seen on a Saturday nightRecommended by - Tablet
This vibrant hotel marries old and new with effortless ease. Located smack bang in the middle of Montreal's Golden Square Mile. With cool and collected ultra modern rooms, paired with regal and refined dining with a twist. The excellent gym and spa finish things off. All in all a total winner! See More
Ritz Carlton Montreal Montréal 129 rooms from £232Sights nearby - Visit Pointe-à-Callière, a recognized national historical and archaeological site, leads visitors through centuries of history.Great walks - Take a walking tour of Old Montreal, no better way to soak up the sights.Swimming Pool - Indoor year round pool.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
A five star hotel in downtown Montreal. The opulent suites are all you would expect of the Ritz, think chandeliers, hardwood floors, plush rugs and sumptuous linens. Relax and recharge in the champagne bar, or take a dip in the heated saltwater pool. Stylish, extravagant and worth every penny! See More