Search the best hotels in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake is a beautifully preserved 19th-century town with wide, charming, tree-lined streets, resplendent parks and gardens, and carefully restored houses. Unlike its brassier neighbour, Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake is fairly peaceful in the evenings, but its postcard-perfect look and lovely lake mean that it’s popular with visitors during the day. The best places to stay in Niagara-on-the-Lake are probably those with lake views.
Niagara-on-the-Lake is a great base for exploring the Niagara Region’s wineries, and there’s an annual wine festival come September and an Icewine festival in January. There are plenty of winery tours run out of Niagara-on-the-Lake too.
There are also the expected Niagara Falls boating tours, which run upriver to the gorge and falls. Niagara-on-the-Lake also has several very nice theatres and art galleries, so it’s a relaxing spot to come for a bit of sightseeing, a bit of a nature ramble and a spot of culture.
If you're planning to visit during the summer months, don't forget to book your room in one of the best places to stay in Niagara-on-the-Lake well ahead - this is a busy place!
What not to miss
- Peller Estates Winery and Konzelmann Estate Winery are both top spots to enjoy a tasting session.
- Culture-vultures should definitely wander over to the Niagara-on-the-Lake Heritage District.
- Head off on long walks with the family around Queenston Heights Park or Ryerson Park.
- If you enjoy your history then be sure to visit the Fort George National Historic Site of Canada.
- It would be foolish to come here and not make a trip to view the majestic Niagara Falls.
The best places to stay in Niagara-on-the-lake
For a waterfront location
- Harbour House is a wonderful brick mansion with stunning waterfront views, now converted into a beautiful 31 room hotel. The rooms are modern and light - some have their own fireplaces- and there’s a breakfast room overlooking the lake.
- The Charles Hotel is a smart Manor House on the lakefront with classy, comfortable rooms and all that Niagara-on-the-Lake has to offer on your doorstep.
- As the name suggests, The Grand Victorian is a period mansion which evokes memories of times past with its traditional accommodation and antique furnishings. Plus, they also serve up scrummy food that's bound to please.
- Set in a gorgeous Georgian mansion, Riverbend Inn offers elegant rooms with plenty of antiques dotted around - some even have their own private balconies. Enjoy an evening tipple in the 1890s bar after a day out and about. A top-notch stay!
For contemporary elegance
- At the Shaw Club you'll find elegant rooms, and fabulous food in Zees Grill. Plus the Shaw Theatre is just across the road. A perfect spot in the centre of town.
For a hotel with a spa
- Pillar and Post is a beautifully converted cannery, now offering luxurious accommodation in a quiet location. Plus there's a great restaurant and that all-important spa with a fantastic array of treatments to pamper body and soul.
- Oban Inn & Spa offers smart accommodation set in a charming property. Head off on a bike around the lake and take in your gorgeous surroundings before returning to unwind in the spa.
- The Sterling Inn & Spa is a luxurious spot, with smart contemporary accommodation boasting luxurious baths. You'll love their food and wine pairings.
For an intimate break
- The Red Coat is a three-room Victorian property with great access to local hiking and biking trails. Tuck into hearty breakfasts each morning before setting off to explore the area.
- Dot's Landing is a smart one-room B&B with homely interiors. Ideal for romantic getaways.
- The Georgian Residence is a wonderfully opulent stay with plush furnishings and roaring fires. This magnificent property even offers three-course gourmet breakfasts each morning!
- The Butler House, surrounded by a nice garden, boasts four smart rooms in the heart of the old town. Ideal for seeing all that the town has to offer.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- If you're coming from abroad then you have three options. You can either fly into the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport (a 45-minute drive away), the Hamilton John C. Munro International Airport (75 minutes away) or the Toronto Pearson International Airport (90 minutes away).
- You're best off avoiding visiting in the winter as it can get desperately cold! Weather-wise, the best time to visit is in the summer months - the average temperature rises to around 21°C in July and August.
- It might be a good idea to have a car with you so that you can explore the entire area. If this is the case, look through the options available with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
- Consider the best places to stay in Niagara Falls, right by the falls.
- Or alternatively, the best places to stay in Buffalo, half an hour south of Niagara Falls.
- If you're still stuck, feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Harbour House Niagara-on-the-Lake (Ontario) 31 rooms from £88Great walks - Awarded the prettiest Town in Canada Award. A good enough reason to explore it by foot and capture it all.Local markets - Local markets area a great way to explore any town. Check with reception for dates.Back to Nature - See one of the natural wonders of the world.Sights nearby - Head to the marina for a buzzy atmosphere.
Sunset over Niagara-on-the-Lake leaves a warm glow on this red brick mansion with stunning waterfront views. Fireplaces and light interiors make the modern rooms homely. Breakfast is served in the dining room overlooking the lake. HobNob Restaurant and Zees Grill are both walking distance. See More
Pillar and Post Niagara-on-the-Lake (Ontario) 122 rooms from £99Sights nearby - The name is in the title, do not miss the famous Niagara Falls.Great walks - Waterfront trail connecting Niagara-on-the-Lake with the FallsFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Niagara-on-the-lake is one of Canada's gems, and this luxury hotel is the perfect place to enjoy nature's wonders, local restaurants and wine. Large, classic style rooms look onto the pool. The Cannery Restaurant offers an all-American menu throughout the day, before or after your spa treatment. See More
The Red Coat Niagara-on-the-Lake 3 rooms from £78Sights nearby - Walking distance to National Historic sites such as: Laura Secord’s Homestead, The Mackenzie Printery and The Brock MonumentGreat walks - Hike, jog, or bike along one of the many trails including the Bruce Trail which begins at the base of the drivewayViews - Choose from a mountain or garden view. The large porche offers a view of the Niagara RiverLocal markets - Good for local colour.
An intimate, historic house with Victorian features, this is a great spot for a quiet, wholesome stay. With numerous bike trails and hiking trails in the area as well as historic sights, Niagara Falls and local wineries, there's plenty to explore. Expect a warm welcome and hearty breakfasts. See More
Oban Inn & Spa Niagara-on-the-Lake 26 rooms from £96Families - With excellent family rooms and a babysitting services, it's a great choice for a family holiday.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the area around Niagara-on-the-Lake.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Overlooking Lake Niagara, Oban Inn & Spa is a delightful hotel that marries excellent service with a warm, friendly atmosphere. The rooms are elegantly furnished and are adorned with tasteful artwork. Spend an afternoon exploring the lake on a bicycle or relax in the spa. A lakeside gem. See More
On the 6 B&B Niagara-on-the-Lake 2 rooms from £97Local exploring - With the Niagara Falls, a range of excellent wineries and the town all close by, this hotel is well-placed for local exploringCountry Escape - Set in the countryside surrounding Niagara on the lake, this B&B makes a charming rural retreatRomantic Break - At just two guestrooms, this intimate B&B is perfect for a hideaway couples' holidaySecluded setting - For escaping.
This rural retreat B&B is located in a renovated 1940s farmhouse surrounded by tranquil orchards in Niagara on the Lake. Guestrooms are spacious and airy, opening out onto a private balcony or terrace. Unwind by the hotel's outdoor pool after a day trip to a nearby winery for a tasting. See More
Queen Regent B&B Niagara-on-the-Lake 3 rooms from £101City Style - With stylish, eclectic interiors that reflect the hosts' visual arts background, book this hotel for chic city charmRomantic Break - With well-appointed rooms, friendly hosts and a great location, book this B&B for a laid-back romantic breakLocal exploring - Set in the midst of the bustling centre of Niagara on the Lake, book this hotel for easy local exploringLocal markets - Sample the fresh produce which comes from the surrounding region at one of the many farmer's markets; ask your hosts for tips
This boutique B&B is located in the heart of Niagara on the Lake. The hotel is chic and stylish, with handmade, artisan design pieces in the shared spaces and bedrooms in natural hues and materials. Relax in the property's peaceful garden, filled with wildflowers, after a day sightseeing. See More
The Charles Hotel Niagara-on-the-Lake (P.O. Box 760) 12 rooms from £136Foodies - The restaurant, HobNob holds a stellar reputation and serves up exceptional seasonal dishes, expertly paired with local winesHotel Entertainment - Transport yourself to another time in the hotels dining room with original chandeliers, fireplaces, and timber floorsGolf - Niagara on the Lake Golf Club, North America's oldest golf course, is found directly opposite the hotelSights nearby - On a quiet side street, within walking distance of all the towns main attractionsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A regal and refined Manor House, turned hotel, in Niagara on the Lake. The enchanting and comfortable rooms will beckon you after a long days sight seeing. Sit out on the porch while you feast on HobNobs famed seasonal dishes. The Charles Hotel is an ageless classic filled with warmth and charm. See More
Shaw Club Niagara-on-the-Lake (Ontario) 30 rooms from £145Families - Babysitting services are avaliable for those parents that wish to indulge in a carefree weekend at the spa and restaurant.Romantic Break - Champagne and strawberries in the deep soaking tub are just the start of a relaxing romantic weekend.Sights nearby - Fort Niagara stands at the mouth of the river on Lake Ontario and is a great spot for sunset, as well as exploring.Local markets - Head to Walker's Country Market to source some local produce and catch the general buzz.
Elegant small hotel offering exceptional service, prime location and a fabulous restaurant. Large, contemporary rooms are a great base for your days of exploring Lake Ontario, local history and vineyards. Only gourmet dishes can be expected from the Zees Grill, a casual atmosphere enjoyed by all. See More
Blue Skies B&B Niagara-on-the-Lake 3 rooms from £128Hideaway - Tucked away in Niagara on the Lake's old town, choose this homely B&B for a tranquil hideaway holidayCountry Escape - Set in the heart of the Niagara wine country, this hotel makes a serene rural retreatSights nearby - Visit the world-famous Niagara Falls, located just a short, scenic drive along the Niagara Parkway from the hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
This charming B&B is located in Niagara-on-the-Lake, a region famous for its proximity to the Niagara Falls. The well-appointed guestrooms offer luxury linens and a cosy fireplace, the perfect place to relax after a day trip. Start the day with the hotel's renowned gourmet breakfast. See More
The Grand Victorian Niagara-on-the-Lake 6 rooms from £136Great walks - Beautiful riverside and lakeside walks and hikesRestrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated at the hotelLocal markets - Good for local colour.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
This beautiful period mansion is located on the banks of the river. A quiet retreat ideal for couples or indeed larger groups. Delicious home cooked meals and brunch style breakfast. Wholesome activities in the area such as riverside walks, golf, and countryside bike rides. See More
Riverbend Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake (P.O. Box 1560) 21 rooms from £176Wine tasting - The hotel sits on 12 acres of vineyard producing Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc and VidalCycling - Rent a couple of bikes and set off to explore the historic town of Niagara on the Lake, just over a kilometer awayRomantic Break - This genteel spot is ideal for a couples escape- with private dining, elegant suites and charming gardensHotel Entertainment - After a days sightseeing settle in to the 1890s salon bar for a stiff drinkRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A magnificent Georgian mansion, set on 12 acres of vineyards and charming gardens just outside Niagara-on-the-Lake. The superb rooms feature antique furnishings, indulgent linens and some come with private balconies. The 1890's salon bar sets a tone that echoes throughout the hotel. Picture perfect. See More
Dot's Landing Niagara-on-the-Lake 1 rooms from £162Great walks - Stunning nature trails in the surrounding areaFishing - Lakeside fishing can be arrangedHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Back to Nature
This intimate colonial, one-bedroom, B&B is situated by the lake. Interiors are homely yet chic with wooden floors, traditional artwork and crisp white linen. Guests can enjoy coffee or a drink on the outdoor terrace. A charming spot to explore the region of Niagara-on-the-Lake. See More
124 on Queen Niagara-on-the-Lake 17 rooms from £157Spa breaks - World-class spa offers full range of massage, esthetic and nail services, and a boutique featuring leading skincare productsBack to Nature - Pick this property for access to the world-renowned Niagara FallsGreat walks - Join Owen Bjorgan, a Niagara-on-the-Lake native, on a hike of your choiceLocal markets - Good for local colour.
A chic little hotel situated on the main street of Old Town in the heart of Niagara on the Lake. There's an option of spacious doubles and two-bedroom villas decorated in a fresh contemporary style. Boasting a world-class spa and critically acclaimed restaurant, this is a spoiling stay. See More
The Georgian Residence Niagara-on-the-Lake 3 rooms from £225Honeymoons - A plush and indulgent manor house, full of antiques and rich fabrics, offering guests a glimpse into life as an aristocratHotel Entertainment - Cosy up with your loved one beside the in room fire with a bottle of the regions finest wineGreat walks - Wander through the town and soak up all the sights and sounds of this historic areaWine tasting - The B&B offers guests a unique chance to partake in a Land Rover wine tour safari!Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
An intimate and opulent B&B of only three rooms in Niagara on the Lake. Filled with antique furnishings, rich drapes, soft carpets and roaring fires the princely suites are a feast for the senses. Breakfast is a three course gourmet affair, continuing the tradition of indulgence. Resplendent. See More
The Butler House Niagara-on-the-Lake 4 rooms from £176Great walks - Offers quick access to the many stunning hiking trails in the areaFour poster beds - One four poster optionViews - Garden viewRestrictions on children - Adult only
An intimate, historic B&B with original period features and a pretty garden; ideal for couples on a quiet getaway. Situated in the heart of the old town, close to the shops and lakeside. There are also many scenic hiking and cycle trails located in the area for those wishing some rural respite. See More