Search the best hotels in Curaçao
Curaçao is one of the ABC Islands, the A and the B being Aruba and Bonaire. This little group were colonised by the Dutch, which is obvious as soon as you see the photos of our recommendations for some of the best places to stay in Curaçao: expect narrow, pointy houses with tall, thin windows and decorative ironwork — but against the Caribbean backdrop of white beaches and the verdant colours of tropical plants. Curaçao is still part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, so is often referred to as a little piece Europe, and that carries over into the culture too, which makes this a great island for families: a lot of its hotels will feel comfortable and familiar to kids.
Curaçao is also a great place for divers and snorkellers, and many of the hotels we recommend have diving outfits running from the property, or close ties with a reputable diving company. Its hotels are also popular with visitors looking for a place where not everything is focussed entirely on sunshine: Curaçao’s capital Willemstad is busy with commerce as well as tourism, and has a thriving arts and culinary scene, plus some excellent history museums, as well as the markets and beach bars you can expect throughout the Caribbean.
Where to Stay
- Willemstad feels very Dutch, what with its tall townhouses, its cafes that spill onto the street and its canals and waterways. If you stay here you’ll have a beach/city break. For galleries and shops stay in the Punta district and for bars and cafes try Pietermaai.
- If you want to be away from town Coral Estates is a popular choice.
- For something in the middle you could try Blue Bay or Piscadera.
- Many of the best diving and snorkelling sites are on the island’s south coast.
Don't forget that the best places to stay in Curacao get extremely busy, especially during peak holiday periods. So if you want to be sure of a room here over Christmas and New Year, you'll need to get organised and book well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Curaçao
The Most Romantic hotels
- Baoase is a luxurious resort right on the beach. We like this hotel because of the choice of rooms, suites or private, colonial-style villas, but there are still fewer than 30 rooms, keeping the private beach quiet, and allowing you to enjoy the beach bar and restaurant, and all the other facilities with little competition.
- As well as being romantic, Bijblauw in Willemstad has some of the best hotel views on the island. With ten rooms, this chic, seafront hotel has a fantastic restaurant — which also has wonderful sea views, and you’re just ten minutes walk from the historic centre of town.
- If you prefer something larger try the Avila Beach Hotel, it’s got 150 rooms to choose from, including family apartments, suites and rooms with balconies overlooking the ocean — these are favourites for couples. You can hire dive gear from the hotel too.
- The Scuba Lodge looks as if its exterior colour palette was chosen by a family, which is a good thing: it’s confidently colourful! Inside there are 42 rooms, suites and apartments, which are a good choice for families. Kids will love the pool too: an infinity pool with sea views.
- The Villa Tokara has just five rooms, but a couple of them are suitable for families, and the size and scale of the hotel means that kids get a friendly welcome. Inside, original stained-glass, exposed beams and patterned tiles attest to the hotel's heritage, complemented by upcycled furniture and luxury linens. Outside there’s a pool your kids might not want to leave.
For great value
- In the 17th Century the Landhuis Klein Santa Martha was a plantation house, but now it’s a six room boutique-style hotel surrounded by peaceful countryside. Guests can appreciate some impressive original features: patterned tiles, wooden shutters and wide verandahs, but it’s modern too, with a great pool and pool terrace. You’re close to a quiet bay but away from the crowds.
- For great value in Willemstad try the ’T Klooster Boutique Hotel, a monastery turned 24 room hotel. The decor is chic and eclectic, featuring house plants and patterned tiles, and the old chapel now houses the restaurant.
- The Pietermaai Boutique Hotel is another great value Willemstad option, with 36 spacious, individually designed suites and a gorgeous pool all a few minutes walk from the bustling centre of town. If you want space book into the Duplex Suite which offers split-level living.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Curaçao’s airport, the Hato International Airport, is close to the capital. Because of its location, Curaçao is easily reached via Miami, but because it’s still part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, for many of us it will be easier to fly in via Amsterdam. Alternatively you can sail in on your private yacht, or with a cruise ship.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- Curaçao is on the very edge of the Caribbean, close to Venezuela, which means that it’s outside the ‘hurricane zone’. The weather is warm and dry for most of the year the maximum daily average temperature fluctuates between 27°C and 29°C. The wettest months fall between October and January.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Curaçao for you?
Best Hotels in Curaçao
’t Klooster Boutique Hotel Willemstad, Curaçao 24 rooms from £58
Nestled in the beautiful Pietermaai District of Curaçao, this boutique hotel occupies a former monastery. Well-appointed rooms feature chic, eclectic furniture, patterned tiles and house plants; suites offer a pretty sit-out terrace. The restaurant is housed in the heritage chapel; a stylish hotel.Romantic Break - Couples love the heritage details at this city hotel; dine in the restaurant, located in the former chapelLocal exploring - With a central location in the island's capital, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringCity Style - Set in a heritage property in Willemstad, this hotel has lots of local city styleSights nearby - Visit the Queen Emma Bridge, an 1888 pontoon pedestrian bridge known locally as the Swinging Old Lady
Landhuis Klein Santa Martha Dorp Soto, Curaçao 6 rooms from £69
Set within a 17th-century former plantation house in Curaçao, this boutique hotel offers guests a tranquil escape to the country. Original features abound, from patterned tiles to wooden shuttered windows; modern amenities add a luxury feel, from the azure pool to the sit-out terrace; chic and cosy.Hideaway - Set inland in Curaçao, away from the crowds at the beach and in town, this hotel makes the perfect hideaway holiday destinationCountry Escape - Set on a former plantation in the verdant countryside of Curaçao, this hotel makes a great escape from the cityRomantic Break - Couples love the bright and airy suites at this hotel and the outdoor pool; rent a luxury suite for living spaceSights nearby - Visit the Santa Martha Baai, a quiet bay that leads to a beach; the area is often empty, meaning you have the beach to yourself
Pietermaai Boutique Hotel Willemstad, Curaçao 36 rooms from £101
Experience the lively heart of Curaçao at this boutique hotel. Individually designed suites are spacious and chic with exposed beams and a blend of wooden and wicker furniture. Book the Duplex Suite for split-level living space and Italian-tile floors. Guests love the pool; a stylish island getaway.Local exploring - This hotel's location is unbeatable; a few minutes' walk takes you straight into the centre of town to bars and restaurantsRomantic Break - Couples' love the suites at this island bolt-hole; book the Duplex Suite for split-level living spaceCity Style - Set in the beating heart of the city, this hotel offers luxury suites with lavish island styleLocal markets - Shop like a local with a trip to the old market in Plasa Bieu, offering locally sourced produce and island specialities
Villa Tokara Willemstad, Curaçao 5 rooms from £117
A rich red facade announces this colonial-era property, now reimagined as a boutique guesthouse. Inside, original stained-glass, exposed beams and patterned tiles attest to the hotel's heritage, complemented by upcycled furniture and luxury linens. Unwind with a drink by the pool; a stylish hotel.City Style - Set in a beautiful heritage property in a chic neighbourhood of Willemstad, this hotel has lots of local city styleRomantic Break - Couples rate this restored, colonial-era property highly; book a luxury suite for a private balconyFamilies - Book a family room to accommodate children; kids love the outdoor pool tooGreat walks - Walk through the picturesque streets of Willemstad; don't miss the Queen Emma Bridge, a pedestrian pontoon bridge across the bay
Scuba Lodge Willemstad, Curaçao 42 rooms from £121
A brightly coloured facade announces this boutique hotel in Curaçao. The same palette extends inside to the airy suites, complemented by whitewashed wooden ceilings and traditional shuttered doors leading to private terraces. Enjoy sea views from the hotel's infinity pool; a charming island escape.Beach Life - Set just steps from the beach on the charming island of Curaçao, this hotel is perfect for a relaxing seaside getawayLocal exploring - Set in the heart of Willemstad, this hotel is well-placed for local exploring on the islandFamilies - Book a private apartment for a family stay; kids love the hotel pool tooGreat walks - See Willemstad's historic centre on a long walk; don't miss the landmark Queen Emma Bridge
Avila Beach Hotel Willemstad, Curaçao 150 rooms from £126
Sitting on the turquoise waters of the Curaçao coast, this beach hotel offers custom-designed rooms with splashes of colour. Couples love the views from the Ocean Front room balcony; book an apartment with open-plan living space for a family stay. See live jazz at the Blues Bar; a chic beach hotel.Local exploring - Located just 5 minutes' drive from central Willemstad, this hotel is well-located for local exploring in CuraçaoRomantic Break - Couples rate this hotel's romantic suites highly; book the Ocean Front Blues room for spectacular viewsBeach Life - Set on the azure waters of the Curaçao coast, this hotel makes an ideal choice for a seaside getawayDiving - Go diving and discover the rich marine life in the waters off the Curaçao coast; equipment hire is available at the hotel
BijBlauw Willemstad, Curaçao 10 rooms from £148
This chic seafront hotel is located in Willemstad, the capital of luxury Caribbean island Curaçao. Guestrooms are bright and contemporary, featuring unique design pieces and cosy soft furnishings; book a suite for a balcony with city views. Dine at the oceanview restaurant; a stylish island getaway.Local exploring - Located just 10 minutes' walk from the capital's historic centre, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringBeach Life - With a prime seafront location on a charming Caribbean island, this hotel makes for a relaxing beach breakRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic rooms at this hotel; book a luxury suite for a balcony with sea viewsLocal markets - Shop like a local with a trip to Willemstad's renowned Floating Market, a market where vendors sell from their boatsRecommended by - Tablet
Baoase Willemstad, Curaçao 23 rooms from £449
This luxury beach resort is located on the island of Curaçao in the southwestern Caribbean. Choose from luxurious rooms, suites or private villas with colonial-style décor and natural accents; book a villa for sea views and self-catering facilities. Unwind with dinner on the beach; a romantic stay.Beach Life - With a private beach boasting a plush bar and restaurant, this hotel is great for a luxury seaside breakHideaway - Book a self-contained villa for a discreet beach break at this chic island bolt-holeRomantic Break - Couples love the stylish suites and friendly staff at this exclusive resortSights nearby - Explore Willemstad, a UNESCO World Heritage Site located 10-minutes' drive from this resortRecommended by - Great Small Hotels