- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Dominican Republic
About Dominican Republic
All our Dominican Republic collections:
- Best places to stay in Punta Cana
- Best places to stay in Santo Domingo
- Best places to stay in the Dominican Republic
There's plenty of variety when it comes to choosing the best places to stay in the Dominican Republic and you may have to choose more than just one hotel as this is a country you might want to travel more broadly.
The Dominican Republic covers around two thirds of the large island of Hispaniola shared with Creole-speaking Haiti to the west. The capital, Santo Domingo, has some of the oldest colonial buildings in the Americas and it was one of the first places settled. As well as vibrant traditional cultures, the DR also has some spectacular beaches and it's big enough to actually explore - from the beautiful colonial towns to the dense jungle.
The DR has a very Latin Caribbean feel and the main language is Spanish, though you'll find plenty of English speakers in the more touristy areas. It is known for great value package travel and there are several regions famous for enclaves of all-inclusive hotels - Punta Cana and Puerto Plata, for example.
It also has some top of the range independent hotels and some great off-beat, inexpensive and cool places to stay in the smaller resort towns like Sosua, Cabarete and Las Terrenas. Plus some boutique type options in the capital.
You'll find a vast difference between the Dominican Republic's rural regions and the cities and towns, and it is really worth trying to taste a bit of both. Driving through the country you'll come across friendly hillside villages with amazing ocean vistas and fantastic beachside restaurants. While strolling around the towns and cities you'll see history everywhere, in wonderfully preserved monasteries, monuments, mansions and squares.
Everywhere you'll feel the country's pulse in the merengue beat, and, like the locals, you might feel little excuse is needed to let your hair down and have a bit of a fiesta.
What Not To Miss
- If you like waterfalls then you're in for a treat; head off and visit the stunning 27 Charcos, Salto de Jimenoa and Baiguate Salto Waterfall.
- Head off for the day to Isla Saona and go diving in its surrounds to see the wide array of local marine life.
- Hike through the gorgeous Haitises National Park - be sure to remember your camera!
- Take a tour of La Aurora Cigar Factory and learn all about the intricate process of cigar-making. A fascinating spot to visit.
- Hop on for a ride of the Teleforico Puerto Plata Cable Car and marvel at the breathtaking views all around.
The Hotel Guru's pick of the best places to stay in the Dominican Republic range from charming and cheap boutique boltholes to beachside eco chic - there is definitely something for everybody!
The Best Places To Stay In The Dominican Republic
For a beach escape
- Natura Cabana is an eco hotel right in amongst the beach-side palms at Sosúa. They are just ten private, cabana style suites and family suites, with colourful, boutique style decor. There is an excellent seafood restaurant and yoga centre.
- Casa Bonita occupies a lush tropical hillside in the island's south, offering beautiful views over the lagoon below. The 12 rooms are romantically styled, but it's the central infinity pool which steals the show.
- The Peninsula House offers six boutique rooms in a beautiful colonial house on one of the Caribbean's most spectacular stretches of coastline. Rooms are romantically styled with lots of charming details and there's a fabulous seafood restaurant.
- Located just a stone's throw from the beach in Cabarete, Millenium Hotel offers simple and contemporary accommodation in white with 1, 2 or 3 bedroom options available. Lovely Italian cuisine served up.
- Balcones Del Atlantico is a superb option for a beach break, offering chic and surprisingly homely accommodation in creamy hues as well as a huge pool, kids club, self-catering villas and a top-notch seafood restaurant.
- The beachfront Gansevoort is a contemporary stay with spacious, stylish suites, plenty of nearby activities and two lovely restaurants.
- Playa Grande Beach Club is a luxurious beachside spot, boasting pretty bungalows (with up to three bedrooms) in pastel hues featuring full kitchens as well as large terraces. A great family option for those with older kids.
- Set on a white sandy beach, Eden Roc At Cap Cana is an upmarket stay boasting spacious contemporary suites with private pools and hot tubs. There's a wide array of bars and restaurants to choose from, as well as plenty of activities on offer in the area.
For great value
- The Hotel La Catalina in Cabrera, is a stunning retreat in amongst beautiful tropical gardens. On the island's north shore you have beautiful views right out to sea, and you're close to an excellent surf beach. In amongst their amenities they also offer a large yoga and meditation studio.
- For great value in the capital, try Hotel Dona Elvira, a charming, 12 room boutique hotel with rooms starting from just £60 per night. Set around a lovely inner courtyard with a large pool and hot tub, there are also two bedroom apartments available.
- The Dominican Republic also has five star options for under £100 a night - like the Hostal Nicolas de Ovando in Santo Domingo. This hundred room hotel is in a Heritage Listed building, built on the very first cobbled street in the New World. Romantic, with a well respected French restaurant.
For a special occasion
- Designed by Oscar de la Renta, the Tortuga Bay Punta Cana is the ultimate chic Caribbean destination. Stretching along five miles of untouched coastline, this resort has 11 lagoons, an ecological park and a golf course. With all the luxury you can imagine when it comes to beach front villas and spas etc..
- The Sivory Punta Cana is an extremely luxurious hotel on a remote stretch of coastline with sumptuous and sophisticated rooms and suites. There are just 55 rooms, a choice of three award-winning restaurants and the pool is just glorious.
- Billini Hotel is a 5* stay offering a range of contemporary chic accommodation - some even feature hot tubs and private balconies. With two restaurants and a rooftop pool, it has all the necessary ingredients for a lovely trip.
- Set in an old colonial property, Casas Del XVI provides chic boutique accommodation with plenty of carved wooden furniture. Spend your days by the pool and be waited on by a personal butler for the ultimate luxury!
- Casa de Campo is truly upmarket, surrounded by 7000 acres which include three golf courses, a tennis resort, eight restaurants, a spa and more. With sleek and stylish accommodation, it's a truly spoiling stay.
- The all inclusive Zoetry Agua Punta Cana, located right on the beach, features contemporary chic coconut thatched suites and all the expected mod cons. This truly is the height of luxury and relaxation - you'll come back feeling utterly rejuvenated.
- The clifftop Amanera boasts sumptuous contemporary suites and an extensive spa. Tuck into Mediterranean cuisine from the restaurant and spend your days lounging by the infinity pool.
- Hotel Frances boasts romantic accommodation, a central location, gourmet restaurant and charming courtyard - what more could you possibly want? Rooms at this atmospheric 4* start from under £100 a night.
- Casa Colonial provides stylish rooms combining creamy hues with dark wooden furniture. Award-winning cuisine's served up in the gourmet restaurant, whilst there's also a state-of-the-art spa. A top spot.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- The Dominican Republic hovers between 25-28°C year-round, so there's never exactly a bad time weather-wise to visit!
- That said, there are two distinct peak seasons; the summer months of July to August and in the winter from December to February. You're best off avoiding visiting at these times if you fancy a quieter trip.
- The island's well served with airports, so depending on your final destination you can fly into Punta Cana International Airport, Las Américas International Airport in Santo Domingo or Cibao International Airport.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Dominican Republic
Hotel La Catalina 12 rooms from $85Cabrera, Dominican Republic
A stunning retreat set in beautiful tropical gardens with views into the valley and out to sea. Charming interiors include spacious rooms and condos with private balconies and creamy furnishings. Lovely pool and tennis court, large yoga and meditation studio, and excellent organic food. Great value.Views - Stunning views over verdant gardens.Total relaxation - Ideal for yoga lovers.Surfing - Playa Grande Beach is a great spot for surfing.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors
Hotel Dona Elvira 12 rooms from $98Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
A charming little boutique hotel with a variety of accommodation for all budgets. Rooms, suites, and a two-bed apartment (to be rented weekly) have stone walls, attractive throws, and DVD players. Beautiful inner courtyard with pool and hot tub. Ideal for families or those on a budget.Value chicSights nearby - House of Tostado, Cathedral of Santo Domingo, and Parque Colon.Local markets - Good for local colour.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Millennium Resort & Spa 44 rooms from $120Dominican Republic
Millennium Hotel is situated on the coast of Cabarete, just a stone's throw away from the beach. Simplistic contemporary 1, 2 and 3 bedroom accommodation featuring chic white interiors. Enjoy excellent Italian cuisine at the Aqua restaurant and lounge by the lounge. A great family-friendly holiday!Families - Family suites and babysitting services are available, as well as a wide range of activities to keep you all busyBeach Life - Millenium Hotel is just a minute away from the beach so you can spend your days lounging by the seasideTotal relaxation - Bask in the tranquil atmoshpere and make the most of the luxury spa- utterly spoiling!Fishing - Find a quiet spot along the coast for a relaxing afternoon's fishing
Hotel Frances 19 rooms from $127Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
A beautiful boutique townhouse in the city centre close to the National Palace. Romantic bedrooms in ochres with wooden beams and elegant furnishings. A striking balustraded courtyard and gourmet French restaurant. Very chic with lots of character, good value too.Luxury - A beautiful four star hotel.Romantic BreakSights nearby - The Cord House, Parque Colon, and Cathedral of Santo Domingo.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Hostal Nicolas de Ovando 104 rooms from $149Santo Domingo,, Dominican Republic
A stunning Five Star hotel on Las Damas, the First Cobbled Street of the New World. Boutique chic in every way with romantic bedrooms, a Spanish-style courtyard with balustrades, and an excellent French restaurant. Swimming pool, spa, and massages to top it all off.Foodies - La Residence serves fabulous French cuisine.Architectural - Listed as a World Heritage site by Unesco.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic Break
Billini Hotel 24 rooms from $171Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
A luxury Five Star hotel with contemporary chic interiors and a spectacular roof terrace. Rooms, family suites, and suites decked out in creams and light wooden furniture, some with private balconies and hot tubs. Two excellent restaurants, two bars, and a pool on the roof top with stunning views.Foodies - Castil Restaurant serves excellent international cuisine and El Higuero Dining Terrace serves lighter fare.Views - Stunning views from the roof top out to sea and over the city.Roof terrace - A terrace with pool, views, and the wow factor.City Style
Natura Cabana 10 rooms from $180Sosúa, Dominican Republic
An eco hotel on the beach amongst the palms. Private cabana style suites and family suites with boutique furnishings and colourful fabrics. Excellent seafood restaurant, yoga centre, East Indian dance classes, and special vegetarian dinners. A zen spot ideal for yoga lovers.Families - Family sized bungalows.Value chicRomantic BreakSurfing - 3 miles from CabareteRecommended by - Fodors
Casas del XVI 7 rooms from $220Santo Domingo
Laid back Caribbean hospitality in an elegant old colonial home. Contemporary bedrooms and a number of relaxation areas with gorgeous Dominican artifacts and beautiful carved wooden furniture. Enjoy the tropical garden and courtyard, among sprawling ferns and palm trees. Great restaurants nearby.Local exploring - The perfect location for exploring the Old Colonial CitySights nearby - Located in the heart of Santo Domingo's Colonial Old City, a UNESCO World Heritage SiteLocal markets - Visit Santa Domingo's local marketsSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Casa Bonita 12 rooms from $220Barahona, Dominican Republic
A beautiful boutique hotel set on a lush tropical hillside with ocean views, stunning gardens, lagoons, and acres of nature reserve to explore. Romantic rooms in creams with four poster beds and verandahs. Superb infinity pool steals the show, delicious organic produce, and miles of white beach.Views - Stunning views from its hilltop perch out to sea and to the beach below.Spa breaks - Excellent couple's therapies and massages.Swimming Pool - Stunning infinity pool.LuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
Casa Colonial 50 rooms from $249Dominican Republic
A chic revamped colonial house complete with excellent spa and direct access to a fabulous white sandy beach. Spacious rooms hark back to a bygone era with dark wooden furniture, four poster beds and large sash windows. Feast on gourmet cuisine in the award winning restaurant. Simply glorious.Beach Life - Situated on a 13-mile stretch of white sandy Caribbean beach.Spa - State of the art spa with a host of treatment rooms, private jacuzzis for two, and wide range of pampering therapies.Sights nearby - Situated opposite the 18-hole Playa Dorada Golf Course and guests of the hotel benefit from exclusive rates.Great walks - Take scenic walks through the 250 acre estate.
Casa de Campo 155 rooms from $255La Romana, Dominican Republic
Legendary golf & beach resort in a league of its own. Set amid 7000 acres, boasting three golf courses, a tennis resort, and a collection of rooms and villas. Pool, eight restaurants, healing spa, kids club, and watersports. Ideal for sporting enthusiasts and luxury travellers.Active Holiday - A legendary golf destination set along miles of stunning coastline, as well as world-class sporting facilities.Golf - Three different courses by an award-winning designer.Foodies - Cuisine from eight different countries.Spa breaks - Cygalle Healing Spa.
Sivory Punta Cana 55 rooms from $300Pantanal NONE, Dominican Republic
An extremely luxurious hotel on a remote stretch of coastline. Sumptuous rooms and suites in contemporary classic style with all the mod cons, balconies, and sophisticated furnishings. Three award-winning restaurants, top of the range spa, and the pool is the piece de resistance. Perfection.Swimming Pool - It's all about the pool here, utterly dreamy under the palms and with views onto white sand.Foodies - Three restaurants serve award-winning cuisine of many types.LuxuryHoneymoonsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Kiwi Collection
Balcones del Atlantico 35 rooms from $334Dominican Republic
A lovely beach side hotel not far from El Limon's natural spring and waterfall. Contemporary chic interiors, an enormous pool, kids facilities, and an excellent seafood restaurant. Rooms, suites, and two/three-bedroom villas have kitchens, all the mod cons, and verandahs. Family friendly, beachy.Families - Two and three-bedroom villas are ideal.Beach LifeSights nearby - 5 km from quaint Las Terrenas, 11-km trip to El Limón for its stunning waterfall and natural swimming pool.On the beach - Situated on Las Terrenas Beach a kilometre of white sand.
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana 96 rooms from $534Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
All inclusive hotel designed for total relaxation, beach bathing, and spa pampering. Contemporary chic coconut thatched suites in the height of luxury with all the mod cons, pools, verandahs, and sea views. Plenty of pools, top of the range spa, private beach and multiple cuisines to choose from.All inclusive - Includes branded spirits and fine wines.Total relaxation - The whole idea is total relaxation.Beach Life - Amazing pools and a private beach.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa facilities.
Gansevoort 48 rooms from $545Sosúa, Dominican Republic
A contemporary beach front hotel set just outside the lively town of Sosúa. Spacious suites feature huge windows, wonderful sea views, seating areas and smart kitchens. The two restaurants serve Mediterranean and Nikkei cuisine. Find numerous activities to partake in. Very chic.Active Holiday - From land to sea there's an endless choice of activities to choose from.Diving - Both courses and excursions are available at Discover Scuba Diving.Sailing - Take a boat excursion and admire the scenic coast.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
The Peninsula House 6 rooms from $550Dominican Republic
A glorious boutique house on one of the Caribbean's most beautiful coastlines. A colonial guest house filled with objets d'art, floor to ceiling windows, verandahs, and views through the palms to the seas. Romantic rooms have four poster beds, kilim rugs, and balconies. Fab seafood restaurant.Active Holiday - Snorkeling, diving, kite surfing, scuba diving, sailing and deep-sea fishing.Romantic BreakLuxuryDiving - Over twenty dive sites close byRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Playa Grande Beach Club 9 rooms from $577Prov. Maria Trinidad Sánchez, Dominican Republic
A pretty as a picture hotel situated in tranquil gardens on a stunning beach. Gorgeously designed bungalows are decorated with pastel hues and all feature full kitchens and large terraces. Dine on Dominican and international cuisine in the romantic restaurant. The makings of a perfect beach holiday.Families - With a real home from home feel and three bedroom villas to rent, this is the perfect place to unwind with family.Beach Life - Located right on a pretty white sandy beach. Spend lazy days lounging under the sun.Surfing - Catch some waves on Playa Grande a favourite haunt of professionals.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
Eden Roc at Cap Cana 36 rooms from $637Provincia la Altagracia, Punta Cana
A luxury hotel set beside a stunning white sandy beach. Spacious suites boast private pools, hot tubs and light and airy spaces. A choice selection of bars and restaurants serve gourmet cuisine. A kids club and numerous outdoor pursuits will keep everyone entertained. The ultimate beach break.Families - A kids club and family suites makes this a great choice for holidays with children.Active Holiday - From golf to horse riding there's numerous activities to partake in.Fishing - Trips can be arranged from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
Tortuga Bay Punta Cana from $750Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
The ultimate destination for the chicest Caribbean spot. Designed by Oscar de la Renta and occupying 5 miles of untouched coast, 11 lagoons, an ecological park, and golf course. Rooms, suites, and private beach front villas designed to perfection. Restaurants, spa, and pools to go with it.Chic - Oh so chic interiors and facilities designed by Oscar de la Renta.Romantic - Bedrooms and suites are the ultimate in Caribbean romance.Luxury - The hotel has received the AAA's Five Diamond Award.Golf - The hotel has it's own 27 hole golf course.Recommended by - Tablet
Amanera 26 rooms from $1545Cabrera Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
Find luxury of the highest order at this stunning Aman property. Sat atop a cliff with fabulous ocean views; spend days being pampered to perfection in the spa and feast on healthy Mediterranean cuisine. With an expansive infinity pool and access to a perfect white sand beach this is hard to beat.Spa breaks - The Aman spas are rightly renowned. This one takes its inspiration from the healing methods of the island’s Taíno Indians.Beach Life - Situated on a picture perfect private white sandy beach.Great walks - Explore the tropical jungle with the hotel's naturalist.Kayaking - Explore the coastline in a sea kayak.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith