Search the best hotels in Dominican Republic
About Dominican Republic
The site of a settlement established by Christopher Columbus in 1492, the Dominican Republic is a spectacular tropical gem with a lively culture influenced by its long Spanish colonial connection. Now a vibrant Spanish-speaking destination, the Dominican Republic covers around two-thirds of the island of La Hispaniola; the western third belongs to neighbouring Haiti. Popular with travellers from around the world, the island nation offers a tremendous range of accommodation options, including simple, off-the-beaten-track hideaways as well as superb luxury resorts. Many of the best places to stay in the Dominican Republic are right on the beach, but there’s heaps to explore in the island’s lush interior, too.
Stroll the streets of Santo Domingo, the island’s capital, for beautiful heritage buildings and thriving markets, cafés and restaurants. A couple of our top boutique picks are within Santo Domingo itself — spend a few nights here before heading towards the more tranquil resort towns of Sosúa and Las Terrenas for a laid-back beach break. If you’re into all-inclusive hotels with heaps of facilities and activities aim for Punta Cana and Puerto Plata.
Part of the Dominican Republic’s appeal is the plethora of things to see and do on the island. Take the time to hire a car and explore friendly hillside villages with stunning ocean views and delectable little eateries, or pause in sleepy towns to spot wonderfully preserved monasteries, monuments, mansions and squares. Outdoorsy adventurers will adore hiking through the gorgeous Haitises National Park, diving in the waters around nearby Isla Saona, and visiting the Dominican Republic’s many waterfalls. 27 Charcos, Salto de Jimenoa and Baiguate Salto Waterfall are some of our favourites. For breath-taking views, the Teleforico Puerto Plata Cable Car can’t be beaten!
Whether you’re dreaming of a rejuvenating eco-escape, an indulgent beachfront hideaway or a fun-filled family resort holiday, the Dominican Republic has it all. The island is especially busy during the Christmas and New Year season — the best places to stay in the Dominican Republic fill up fast, so book your trip well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in the Dominican Republic
For Absolute Indulgence
- Amanera is a gorgeous clifftop hideaway, with luxurious, minimalist rooms and suites boasting spectacular ocean views. Unwind by the infinity pool, tuck into marvellous Mediterranean cuisine and treat yourself to a rejuvenating spa experience. As with all the Aman group's terrific properties, this is indulgence of the highest order. A romantic hideaway for spa lovers.
For a City Stay
- Hostal Nicolas de Ovando offers a chic city stay in a heritage building, set on the very first cobbled street in the New World. A great value hotel with heaps of history and an excellent French restaurant. Ideal for exploring Santo Domingo.
- Casas Del XVI is a charming seven-bedroom B&B nestled in an old colonial house. Expect stylish interiors, leafy gardens and an inviting pool, as well as easy access to the UNESCO-listed old city of Santo Domingo. Characterful and intimate.
- Billini Hotel is a modernist design hotel in the colonial zone of Santo Domingo. Pick this place for a lively buzz and cool, contemporary feel. Some rooms feature hot tubs and private balconies, there are two restaurants and a terrific rooftop pool. A trendy city spot.
For a Luxury Resort
- Tortuga Bay Punta Cana stretches along five miles of untouched coastline, with 11 lagoons, an ecological park and a golf course. Designed by Oscar de la Renta, the luxurious villas feature splendid sea views, plus there are fantastic pools and a world-class spa. Guests are equipped with golf carts to zip around the resort with ease. The ultimate in Caribbean elegance and refinement for couples, groups or families.
- Zoetry Agua Punta Cana offers superb, all-inclusive resort stays in palm-thatched suites, with big cosy beds and all the mod-cons. An indulgent contemporary pick for travellers in search of rest and relaxation, with a sumptuous spa, candlelit restaurant and glorious sea views from rooms with white-on-white interiors. Very stylish.
- Casa de Campo is a legendary golf resort, boasting three fantastic golf courses, a tennis complex, eight restaurants and a spa, as well as heaps of further facilities and activities. Expect sleek, modern rooms and villas for couples or families. Covering 7000 acres, this is a fairly epic resort!
- The Ocean Club is a collection of smart and stylish sea-facing rooms and suites in lively Sosúa. Self-catering suites are a great pick for couples or families in search of some extra independence, although the resort also has two excellent restaurants. Think minimalist design, huge swimming pools and stacks of sea-focused activities: from diving courses to sailing. There's a soothing spa, too. For fans of clean, modern lines and active resort stays.
- Casa Bonita is a lovely luxury lodge in Barahona, on the secluded southwestern side of the island. Book a spacious, romantic suite for lush ocean or river views and an appealing use of natural materials to create an organic design. A small but perfectly-formed escape for tranquil, spa-loving couples or adventurers who can try surfing, snorkelling, hiking, nature treks, fishing and cave tours.
- The Peninsula House is an exquisite, plantation-style home close to Las Terrenas, on one of the most striking stretches of coastline in the Caribbean. Think six antique-filled rooms with four-poster beds and glorious views, a fabulous seafood restaurant and an inviting swimming pool. Exceptional: a heritage honeymoon favourite.
- Casa Colonial Beach & Spa is a beautiful historic building with lavish, grown-up interiors. Pick this place for its beachfront location, indulgent spa and the award-winning cuisine served at Lucia, the hotel's fine dining restaurant. The fantastic wine cellar is also a big draw for foodies!
- Playa Grande Beach Club is a dreamy oasis on the wild north coast, with just nine charming bungalows set amidst verdant gardens. Six of the bungalows feature just one bedroom each, with fully-equipped kitchens, traditional tiled floors and pretty verandas. There's ample space for families in the larger bungalows, but this really feels like a romantic haven, complete with a gorgeous bar and restaurant.
- Sivory Punta Cana is an elegant, adults-only retreat in Punta Cana. Expect sophisticated, grown-up rooms and suites, three excellent restaurants and a fabulous spa. The beach is just steps away and the pool picture-perfect. For couples or groups of friends.
- Millenium Hotel offers simple and modern one, two, and three-bedroom condos close to the beach in Caberete. A brilliant family choice, with heaps of activities for guests of all ages on both land and sea. The onsite restaurant also serves lovely Italian cuisine.
- Balcones Del Atlantico is a collection of stylish, contemporary suites and self-catering apartments with space for the whole family. Set around a huge pool, the complex boasts easy access to a beautiful beach, a top-notch seafood restaurant and a great kids club.
- Eden Roc At Cap Cana is a luxurious resort, complete with large private suites and multi-room villas offering plunge pools and hot tubs. Choose from a wide array of bars and restaurants, kick back on the pristine sand, or join in with the wide range of family activity programmes. A superb family choice.
- Sublime Samana is a cool, contemporary collection of 25 beachfront rooms, suites and multi-bedroom villas. Pick this place for the excellent spa, tennis courts, swimming pool, top-notch restaurants and endless array of activities. Fun for active families — there's stacks for everyone to do!
For an Eco Escape
- Natura Cabana is an eco-focused escape tucked amidst swaying palms on the beach just a few miles from Cabarete. Private cabanas feature palm-thatched roofs, and lots of wood, stone and seashells. With a superb yoga centre, spa treatments and a delectable seafood restaurant, this is a restful, restorative choice.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Punta Cana International Airport, Las Américas International Airport in Santo Domingo or Cibao International Airport, depending on your destination.
- You'll find lots to explore by road! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- With balmy temperatures averaging at around 25 - 28°C throughout the year, the Dominican Republic is a gorgeous tropical destination. Book well in advance if travelling during peak season (December to April), and avoid the hurricane season (June to November) if you can. May is a great choice for hotel deals and quieter beaches!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in the British Virgin Islands.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Dominican Republic
Best Hotels in Dominican Republic
Millennium Resort & Spa Dominican Republic 44 rooms from £94Families - Family suites and babysitting services are available, as well as a wide range of activities to keep you all busyBeach Life - Millenium Hotel is just a minute away from the beach so you can spend your days lounging by the seasideTotal relaxation - Bask in the tranquil atmoshpere and make the most of the luxury spa- utterly spoiling!Fishing - Find a quiet spot along the coast for a relaxing afternoon's fishing
Millennium Hotel is situated on the coast of Cabarete, just a stone's throw away from the beach. Simplistic contemporary 1, 2 and 3 bedroom accommodation featuring chic white interiors. Enjoy excellent Italian cuisine at the Aqua restaurant and lounge by the lounge. A great family-friendly holiday! See More
Hostal Nicolas de Ovando Santo Domingo,, Dominican Republic 104 rooms from £116Foodies - La Residence serves fabulous French cuisine.Architectural - Listed as a World Heritage site by Unesco.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.City Style
Billini Hotel Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic 24 rooms from £133Foodies - Castil Restaurant serves excellent international cuisine and El Higuero Dining Terrace serves lighter fare.Views - Stunning views from the roof top out to sea and over the city.Roof terrace - A terrace with pool, views, and the wow factor.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
A luxury Five Star hotel with contemporary chic interiors and a spectacular roof terrace. Rooms, family suites, and suites decked out in creams and light wooden furniture, some with private balconies and hot tubs. Two excellent restaurants, two bars, and a pool on the roof top with stunning views. See More
Natura Cabana Sosúa, Dominican Republic 10 rooms from £140Families - Family sized bungalows.Value chicRomantic BreakSurfing - 3 miles from CabareteRecommended by - Fodors
An eco hotel on the beach amongst the palms. Private cabana style suites and family suites with boutique furnishings and colourful fabrics. Excellent seafood restaurant, yoga centre, East Indian dance classes, and special vegetarian dinners. A zen spot ideal for yoga lovers. See More
The Bannister Hotel & Yacht Club Santa Bárbara de Samaná, Dominican Republic 33 rooms from £151Romantic Break - Perfect place for couples to reconnect and recharge. Stunning sunsets, sea-facing balconies and sexy pools tick all the boxesViews - Fantastic views over Samana Bay and the Atlantic Ocean are to be found throughout the property, including certain room typesTotal relaxation - Ideal for fly and flop; relax by the sea-view infinity pools, indulge with spa treatments or venture out on fun day tripsSwimming Pool - Spectatcular curved infinity pool with surrounding lawns and sun deck offers unparalled views over Samana Bay
A luxury seaside resort with a private marina in a secluded section of Samana Bay. Spacious rooms decorated in modern Caribbean style all have balconies. Impressive facilities include two water-facing infinity pools, gym, spa and three restaurants. Manicured and polished; delivers a perfect stay. See More
Casas del XVI Santo Domingo (Ciudad Colonial) 7 rooms from £172Local exploring - The perfect location for exploring the Old Colonial CitySights nearby - Located in the heart of Santo Domingo's Colonial Old City, a UNESCO World Heritage SiteLocal markets - Visit Santa Domingo's local marketsSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Laid back Caribbean hospitality in an elegant old colonial home. Contemporary bedrooms and a number of relaxation areas with gorgeous Dominican artifacts and beautiful carved wooden furniture. Enjoy the tropical garden and courtyard, among sprawling ferns and palm trees. Great restaurants nearby. See More
Sublime Samana Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic 25 rooms from £183Romantic Break - Couples love this chic resort; dine at sunset in the seafront restaurant for a special moment on your couples' getawayFamilies - The 'casitas' are perfect for a family, offering multiple bedrooms and ample living spaceBeach Life - Located on the idyllic beaches of Samana, this resort is a perfect seaside getawayGreat walks - Explore the traditional Pueblo de los Pescadores or fishing village, located close to the hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
This luxury resort is located on the beach in Samana, in the Dominican Republic. Suites are contemporary, offering separate living space, unique artworks and a terrace; book a casita for a private rooftop terrace and hot tub. Book into the spa before dining at the seafront restaurant; a chic resort. See More
Casa Bonita Barahona, Dominican Republic 12 rooms from £184Views - Stunning views from its hilltop perch out to sea and to the beach below.Spa breaks - Excellent couple's therapies and massages.Swimming Pool - Stunning infinity pool.HoneymoonsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
A beautiful boutique hotel set on a lush tropical hillside with ocean views, stunning gardens, lagoons, and acres of nature reserve to explore. Romantic rooms in creams with four poster beds and verandahs. Superb infinity pool steals the show, delicious organic produce, and miles of white beach. See More
Casa Colonial Dominican Republic 50 rooms from £194Beach Life - Situated on a 13-mile stretch of white sandy Caribbean beach.Spa - State of the art spa with a host of treatment rooms, private hot tubs for two, and wide range of pampering therapies.Sights nearby - Situated opposite the 18-hole Playa Dorada Golf Course and guests of the hotel benefit from exclusive rates.Great walks - Take scenic walks through the 250 acre estate.
A chic revamped colonial house complete with excellent spa and direct access to a fabulous white sandy beach. Spacious rooms hark back to a bygone era with dark wooden furniture, four poster beds and large sash windows. Feast on gourmet cuisine in the award winning restaurant. Simply glorious. See More
Casa de Campo La Romana, Dominican Republic 155 rooms from £199Active Holiday - A legendary golf destination set along miles of stunning coastline, as well as world-class sporting facilities.Golf - Three different courses by an award-winning designer.Foodies - Cuisine from eight different countries.Spa breaks - Cygalle Healing Spa.
Legendary golf & beach resort in a league of its own. Set amid 7000 acres, boasting three golf courses, a tennis resort, and a collection of rooms and villas. Pool, eight restaurants, healing spa, kids club, and watersports. Ideal for sporting enthusiasts and luxury travellers. See More
Sivory Punta Cana Pantanal NONE, Dominican Republic 55 rooms from £234Swimming Pool - It's all about the pool here, utterly dreamy under the palms and with views onto white sand.Foodies - Three restaurants serve award-winning cuisine of many types.HoneymoonsBeach LifeRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Kiwi Collection
An extremely luxurious hotel on a remote stretch of coastline. Sumptuous rooms and suites in contemporary classic style with all the mod cons, balconies, and sophisticated furnishings. Three award-winning restaurants, top of the range spa, and the pool is the piece de resistance. Perfection. See More
Balcones del Atlantico Dominican Republic 35 rooms from £261Families - Two and three-bedroom villas are ideal.Beach LifeSights nearby - 5 km from quaint Las Terrenas, 11-km trip to El Limón for its stunning waterfall and natural swimming pool.On the beach - Situated on Las Terrenas Beach a kilometre of white sand.
A lovely beach side hotel not far from El Limon's natural spring and waterfall. Contemporary chic interiors, an enormous pool, kids facilities, and an excellent seafood restaurant. Rooms, suites, and two/three-bedroom villas have kitchens, all the mod cons, and verandahs. Family friendly, beachy. See More
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana Punta Cana, Dominican Republic 96 rooms from £417All inclusive - Includes branded spirits and fine wines.Total relaxation - The whole idea is total relaxation.Beach Life - Amazing pools and a private beach.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa facilities.
All inclusive hotel designed for total relaxation, beach bathing, and spa pampering. Contemporary chic coconut thatched suites in the height of luxury with all the mod cons, pools, verandahs, and sea views. Plenty of pools, top of the range spa, private beach and multiple cuisines to choose from. See More
The Ocean Club Sosúa, Dominican Republic 48 rooms from £425Active Holiday - From land to sea there's an endless choice of activities to choose from.Diving - Both courses and excursions are available at Discover Scuba Diving.Sailing - Take a boat excursion and admire the scenic coast.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
A contemporary beach front hotel set just outside the lively town of Sosúa. Spacious suites feature huge windows, wonderful sea views, seating areas and smart kitchens. The two restaurants serve Mediterranean and Nikkei cuisine. Find numerous activities to partake in. Very chic. See More
The Peninsula House Dominican Republic 6 rooms from £429Active Holiday - Snorkeling, diving, kite surfing, scuba diving, sailing and deep-sea fishing.Romantic BreakLuxuryDiving - Over twenty dive sites close byRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
A glorious boutique house on one of the Caribbean's most beautiful coastlines. A colonial guest house filled with objets d'art, floor to ceiling windows, verandahs, and views through the palms to the seas. Romantic rooms have four poster beds, kilim rugs, and balconies. Fab seafood restaurant. See More
Playa Grande Beach Club Prov. Maria Trinidad Sánchez, Dominican Republic 9 rooms from £450Families - With a real home from home feel and three bedroom villas to rent, this is the perfect place to unwind with family.Beach Life - Located right on a pretty white sandy beach. Spend lazy days lounging under the sun.Surfing - Catch some waves on Playa Grande a favourite haunt of professionals.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
A pretty as a picture hotel situated in tranquil gardens on a stunning beach. Gorgeously designed bungalows are decorated with pastel hues and all feature full kitchens and large terraces. Dine on Dominican and international cuisine in the romantic restaurant. The makings of a perfect beach holiday. See More
Eden Roc at Cap Cana Punta Cana 36 rooms from £497Families - A kids club and family suites makes this a great choice for holidays with children.Active Holiday - From golf to horse riding there's numerous activities to partake in.Fishing - Trips can be arranged from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
A luxury hotel set beside a stunning white sandy beach. Spacious suites boast private pools, hot tubs and light and airy spaces. A choice selection of bars and restaurants serve gourmet cuisine. A kids club and numerous outdoor pursuits will keep everyone entertained. The ultimate beach break. See More
Tortuga Bay Punta Cana Punta Cana, Dominican Republic from £585Chic - Oh so chic interiors and facilities designed by Oscar de la Renta.Romantic - Bedrooms and suites are the ultimate in Caribbean romance.Luxury - The hotel has received the AAA's Five Diamond Award.Golf - The hotel has it's own 27 hole golf course.Recommended by - Tablet
The ultimate destination for the chicest Caribbean spot. Designed by Oscar de la Renta and occupying 5 miles of untouched coast, 11 lagoons, an ecological park, and golf course. Rooms, suites, and private beach front villas designed to perfection. Restaurants, spa, and pools to go with it. See More
Amanera Cabrera Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic 26 rooms from £1206Spa breaks - The Aman spas are rightly renowned. This one takes its inspiration from the healing methods of the island’s Taíno Indians.Beach Life - Situated on a picture perfect private white sandy beach.Great walks - Explore the tropical jungle with the hotel's naturalist.Kayaking - Explore the coastline in a sea kayak.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Find luxury of the highest order at this stunning Aman property. Sat atop a cliff with fabulous ocean views; spend days being pampered to perfection in the spa and feast on healthy Mediterranean cuisine. With an expansive infinity pool and access to a perfect white sand beach this is hard to beat. See More