Search the best hotels in Puerto Rico
About Puerto Rico
People come to Puerto Rico to do anything and everything - whether that be relaxing, exploring, learning or surfing. The best places to stay in Puerto Rico perfectly reflect this diversity of travellers, with a wide range of properties from luxury beach resorts to chic city B&Bs.
A U.S. Commonwealth territory, Puerto Rico was one of the earliest sources of Caribbean island daydreams. Bigger than its neighbours, so a bit easier to travel to, Puerto Rico has the beautiful stretches of white sand, tropical interior and a dramatic colonial history that gives it kick as well as colour.
Puerto Rico has some of the Caribbean's wettest and driest forests, which are home to some of the world's rarest birdlife. But it's also got San Juan, a congested capital of condos, casinos and beautiful colonial architecture - which is actually one of the oldest European-founded settlements in the Americas.
One of the glories of Puerto Rico's cities, towns and villages is their Puerto Rican-ness in the face of an invasion of the high street stalwarts of mainland America. This country has seen Spanish invasion, dramatic revolutionaries, the growth of the free market and plenty of cannon fire. Yet despite this, its own colours still shine through the layers of invader cultures.
Of course most people are here for the beaches. A number for the incredible surfing conditions, some for the golf, or horseback riding, and some for the diving and snorkelling on Puerto Rico's impressive coral reefs.
What Not To Miss
- Wander around Old San Juan, a collection of over 400 restored buildings dating from the 16th and 17th century Spanish colonial period. Wonderfully historic.
- Whilst the island is surrounded by wonderful beaches, we'd recommend in particular the idyllic Flamenco Beach, on the northwest of the island, with its long, white sweeps of sand and turquoise waters.
- History lovers will enjoy visiting both Castillo San Felipe del Morro and Castillo de San Cristobal, the latter of which is the largest set of fortifications that the Spanish built in the New World.
- Head off hiking through the 28,000 acre El Yunque Rainforest. A wonderfully biodiverse spot, it's home to a wide variety of wildlife, over 400 plant species and a number of waterfalls.
- One of the great, often unexpected sights of Puerto Rico are the bioluminescent bays, which glow wonderfully at night - best seen by kayak on a moonlit night.
The Hotel Guru's picks of the best places to stay in Puerto Rico offer something for everyone, whether you're here to soak up the culture in San Juan's old town or to explore one of its lesser-known islands (Culebra and Vieques to name but two) off the eastern coast.
In San Juan
- The Ritz Carlton Puerto Rico in San Juan offers five star luxury right on the beach. There are also resort style facilities, like pools and tennis courts as well as several restaurants and bars. Certainly one of the best places to stay in Puerto Rico if you want to do San Juan in style.
- El Convento is one of San Juan's most regal hotels, with opulent, colonial style decor set in a converted palacio in Old San Juan.
- Hix island House on peaceful Vieques Island is a square, granite affair with slick decor and outdoor showers surrounded by jungle. Stunning and secluded, these 19 rooms also have their own full kitchens, so you can hideaway from everyone if you so choose.
- The architectural El Blok boasts sleek minimalist accommodation with splashes of colour. Enjoy a drink on the rooftop terrace and traditional cuisine from the restaurant.
- Club Seabourne also offers tropical island peace, this time on Culebra Island. This collection of 12 rooms and suites is 3kms from the main town, but just a stone's throw from the beach. The hotel itself is surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens and there's a dynamic Caribbean restaurant.
For a beach break
- Copamarina Beach Resort on the island's south coast is a beautiful, mid-size beach resort. It's large enough to have two outdoor pools, a spa and gym and its own watersports centre. But it's small enough to feel friendly, and it's great for kids.
- Parador Villa Parguera is a friendly, good value, beachside hotel with classic Caribbean features like bamboo furniture and sea-views, in a laid-back spot on the island's south coast. The 74 rooms start from just £59 per night.
- La Jamaca is charming spot, offering simple and comfortable accommodation just a short distance from the beach. Relax by the outdoor pool and enjoy a tipple from the bar. Rooms from just £57 per night.
- Blue Horizon Boutique Hotel features characterful, Caribbean-style accommodation with mahogany four posters and plenty of colour on the walls. Plus there's a pool, spoiling spa and tennis courts, and a lovely restaurant serving up Caribbean specialities.
For great value
- The Dreamcatcher Guest House is an eclectic property close to the coast in San Juan. Rooms are filled with vintage treasures, the terraces are hung with hammocks and there's yoga classes on site. It's also very friendly and great value, starting from only £49 per night.
- Located in Ponce's old town, Hotel Belgica is a charming stay boasting traditional accommodation from £58 a night.
For Romantic Retreats
- Set within an historic mansion in the heart of Old San Juan, The Gallery Inn oozes charm. The rooms are filled with antiques, tapestries and four posters, whilst there's also an outdoor pool as well as picturesque, leafy courtyards and a roof terrace. Tuck into superb tapas in their gorgeous dining room.
- If you're looking for something more modern then Water Beach Club on San Juan's beach is a great option. Their swish rooms feature minimalist furniture with splashes of colour, plus there's also a rooftop pool and direct beach access..
- Located right by the lagoon, the adults-only Olive Boutique Hotel boasts incredibly atmospheric rooms with dark wooden furniture and spa showers. This 5* spot also has a spa and a plunge pool, whilst you can enjoy scrumptious pan-Mediterranean dishes in the restaurant.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you've decided that you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Puerto Rico is a good year round destination. However it can be fairly rainy in the summer months, and hurricane season runs from June to the end of October.
- Winters are also usually pretty busy and expensive, with many tourists flocking to the island for the sunshine, so the best time to visit is from mid-April to June.
- Most international visitors fly into the Luis Muñoz Marín Airport located in San Juan. However, there's also the Eugenio María de Hostos Airport in Mayaguëz and the Antonio Rivera Rodríguez Airport in Vieques.
- From the airport, the best option is to hop in a cab towards your final destination.
- Be warned though that Hurricane Maria caused widespread destruction of the island's infrastructure, so getting around might be tricky..
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure where to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Puerto Rico.
- Alternatively, widen the net by checking out all our Caribbean recommendations.
- Or, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Puerto Rico
Best Hotels in Puerto Rico
Hotel Belgica Puerto Rico 20 rooms from £70City Style - Just minutes from the city's hot spots, and with charming sunny terraces, an ideal spotSights nearby - Catedral Nuestra Señora De Guadalupe; Parque de BombasGreat walks - To Paseo Tablado La Guancha (La Guancha Boardwalk)Local markets - Good for local colour.
Parador Villa Parguera Puerto Rico 74 rooms from £75Beach Life - Ground floor rooms open onto the beach, and plenty of water sports available, as well as the lovely Cabo Rojo LighthouseSights nearby - Playa Sucia and Cabo Rojo LighthouseFishing - Nearby Puerto Real fishing villageDiving - With West Divers
La Jamaca Colinas La Parguer, Puerto Rico 13 rooms from £77Beach Life - Tropical outdoor pool, chic contemporary rooms, and close to all the region's beautiful beachesSights nearby - Playa Sucia and Cabo Rojo LighthouseGreat walks - Along Cabo RojoSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hix island House Vieques Island, Puerto Rico 19 rooms from £105Hideaway - Set within lush jungle foliage, with outdoor showers, huge terraces and open wallsGreat walks - Through surrounding 13-acre natural refuge of native trees, tall grasses, birds and butterfliesSights nearby - Island Adventures offers trips to bioluminescent bayRestrictions on children - No Children under the age of 14Recommended by - Fodors
The Gallery Inn Puerto Rico 20 rooms from £105Romantic Break - Eclectic mix of antiques, tapestries and courtyards in this boutique and romantic hotel in 200 year old mansionGreat walks - From the hotel's Beach House in La PerlaSights nearby - Castillo de San CristobalFull of characterRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Dreamcatcher Guest House San Juan, Puerto Rico 10 rooms from £116Groups - Eco hotel with focus on vegetarian food and meditation classes, ideal for younger groups to explore city fromLocal markets - In Old San Juan, a ten minute driveFull of characterQuirky - An experience!Recommended by - Frommers
Water Beach Club San Juan, Puerto Rico 78 rooms from £116Romantic Break - Slick decor, swimming pool and roof terrace with outstanding views, beach a few minutes away and romantic dining tooLocal markets - In Old San Juan, 15 minutes awaySights nearby - Jose Miguel Agrelot ColiseumSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Fodors
Club Seabourne Culebra, Puerto Rico 12 rooms from £132Hideaway - Hammocks within the tropical gardens, individual villas for real sense of privacy, easy access to nearby white beachesLocal markets - 3 km from Culebra Pueblo town centreSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Chic hillside hotel on Culebra Island. Rooms are contemporary with sleigh beds, large private verandahs and white shutters. Outdoor pool, enormous tropical gardens, library and massages available. Dynamic Caribbean cuisine in outdoor restaurant. Stylish, quiet and boutique. See More
El Blok Vieques Island 21 rooms from £133Total relaxation - Feel utterly rejuvenated at this peaceful island retreat- think 300 thread-count sheets, spectacular sea views and yummy food!Beach Life - El Blok is just a stone's throw from the beach, spend your days lounging on the seashore and sipping on cocktails.Foodies - Feast on some of the island's best food from James Beard Award-nominated chef Jose Enrique.Great walks - Head off hiking all over the island and enjoy some breathtaking views!Recommended by - Tablet
The architectural El Blok is located on the island of Vieques. Boutique, minimalist accommodation with white interiors and splashes of colour in the furnishings. Head up to the rooftop terrace and enjoy a drink at sunset! Lovely Puerto Rican cuisine served. A great stay in a top spot! See More
Copamarina Beach Resort Puerto Rico 106 rooms from £144Families - Excellent kids club, villas come with plenty of living space and kitchens, one child-friendly pool and spa for parentsDiving - At the Wall at Playa Santa, a continental shelf dropping more than 1,500 feet.Great walks - To Rio Camuy CavesSights nearby - Gilligan's IslandRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
El Convento San Juan, Puerto Rico 58 rooms from £155City Style - Walking distance to many of the city's sights, opulent interiors, pool, terrace and excellent diningSailing - San Juan Nautical ClubSights nearby - San Cristobal FortressFull of characterRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Ritz Carlton Puerto Rico San Juan, Puerto Rico 416 rooms from £210Beach Life - Hotel leads right onto the white sand beach, with pool close by, and palm trees keeping you company alongside superb serviceRomantic Break - Superb beach side pool, excellent spa with couples' treatments, romantic creamy bedrooms and dining for twoKids Club - Supervised activities for children from 5-12 years.Local markets - In Historic Old San JuanRecommended by - Fodors
Luxurious 5* hotel on the beach. Creamy rooms have silk furnishings, marble bathrooms, contemporary furniture. Outdoor pool, beach access, tennis courts, gym, spa and full casino. Outstanding Italian, Tapas and American cuisine; elegant bar. Opulent, exclusive and idyllic. See More
Condado Vanderbilt San Juan 316 rooms from £240Romantic Break - Couples love the luxurious linens and cosy restaurant at this exclusive beach hotel; book a romantic couples' massageTotal relaxation - With a spa, wellness centre and pool onsite, this hotel offers guests total relaxationBeach Life - With a prime, seafront location, this hotel is perfect for a relaxing beach getawaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
This luxury beach resort is located in a newly restored heritage property in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Guestrooms boast plush soft furnishings, French windows and custom-made, dark wood furnishings; book a suite for living space and sea views. Unwind at the spa before dinner; a refined beach getaway. See More
Olive Boutique Hotel San Juan, Puerto Rico 15 rooms from £257Romantic Break - Adults only hotel with spa showers, roof terrace to enjoy champagne, plunge pool and superb cuisineSights nearby - Conservatory of Music of Puerto Rico and Plaza del MercadoLocal markets - 10-minute drive from San Juan’s Old TownRestrictions on children - Over-18s hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet, Frommers
Serafina Beach Hotel San Juan 96 rooms from £281Beach Life - A super chilled out beachfront property, offering blue and white beach-chic interiors and fabulous views of the oceanRomantic Break - Book the Love package to get a free bottle of bubbles, romantic dinner for two and in room tandem massagesRestrictions on children - Adults onlyLively - Hip and happening.
A cool new beach-chic property overlooking Condado Lagoon. Clever use of texture and colour creates a bright nautical feel in the design, add to this huge floor to ceiling windows and you can't get closer to the sea! The restaurant is a local hotspot, as is the elegant pool area and bar. See More
O:LV Fifty Five Hotel San Juan (Condado) 26 rooms from £375Romantic Break - Couples love the relaxed atmosphere at this adults-only hotel; book a table at the restaurant for a romantic mealBeach Life - Sitting right on the seafront in San Juan, this hotel is perfect for a luxury beach breakCity Style - With contemporary, award-winning interiors, this hotel has lots of chic city styleRestrictions on children - Adults-only hotelRecommended by - Tablet
This stylish boutique hotel sits between the Condado Lagoon and the beach in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Guestrooms feature bespoke marble bathrooms, leather accents and custom-made furnishings; book the Panorama Suite for floor-to-ceiling views and a terrace. Dine at the sleek restaurant; a chic hotel. See More
Dorado Beach A Ritz Carlton Reserve Dorado, Puerto Rico 114 rooms from £1599Foodies - Dining is an integral part of the experience at this resort; from gourmet to grill, there is something to suit all palettesSpa breaks - Book into the hotel's Spa Botánico, a unique, aromatherapy-inspired spa with a range of treatmentsBeach Life - Set on the sunny sands of Dorado Beach, this hotel is perfect for a luxury island getawayKayaking - Try your hand at sea kayaking during your stay here, with kayaks available from the hotel
This secluded luxury resort borders the Atlantic Ocean on the coast of Puerto Rico. Dating to the 1950s, the resort now offers contemporary residences while retaining the hacienda-style of the original property. A handful of exclusive restaurants, a spa and pool complete this sleek island getaway. See More