Search the best hotels in Puerto Rico
About Puerto Rico
A longtime favourite of history buffs, surfers and barefoot beach wanderers, Puerto Rico is a beautiful destination for a Caribbean escape. The country is a US Commonwealth territory, which comes with its own intriguing cultural influences — as well as a substantial number of holidaymakers from the USA. Accommodation options range from chic city B&Bs to luxurious seaside resorts, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. The best places to stay in Puerto Rico encourage travellers to immerse themselves in the country’s natural beauty, whether by the sea, in the jungle, or in verdant city gardens.
Begin your explorations in the fascinating capital city of San Juan, a historic trading port which still boasts more than 400 carefully-restored colonial-era buildings, jostling for space alongside a growing number of condos and casinos. One of the oldest European-founded settlements in the Americas, this thriving community was originally home to the Taíno people, whose legacy can still be seen. San Juan is also the place to go for excellent eateries, lively bars and centuries-old forts.
Beyond the city, you’ll find gorgeous palm-fringed beaches, reefs teeming with marine life, and ample opportunities to go snorkelling, scuba diving, surfing, kayaking, fishing and sailing. Further inland are dense tropical forests and scenic trails for hiking, cycling and horse riding. The 28,000-acre El Yunque Rainforest is spectacular — take a guided tour to spot a variety of wildlife, including rare birds, as well as waterfalls and over 400 species of plants. Puerto Rico’s bioluminescent bays are particularly special when seen by boat or kayak on a moonlit night.
For a low-key hideaway, head to the neighbouring isles of Culebra and Vieques, both of which are wonderfully striking. Book a room at one of the best places to stay in Puerto Rico and sink into the rhythms of island life with live music and superb cuisine in a very special setting.
The Best Places to Stay in Puerto Rico
For Old Town Explorations
- El Convento boasts opulent, colonial-era interiors, with tiled floors and whimsical four-poster beds. Cool off in the rooftop swimming pool, kick back in the courtyard and feast on delicious tapas and gourmet fare. A San Juan favourite for couples, friends or families.
- Palacio Provincial features crisp, understated rooms in a carefully restored 200-year-old residence. Think soaring ceilings, big windows with wooden shutters and modern bathrooms, as well as a smart roof terrace with a refreshing swimming pool. The Consular Restaurant & Bar is excellent. Perfectly located for exploring San Juan's old town.
- Villa Herencia has eight rooms and stacks of old-school charm. Set close to the Puerta de San Juan, this wonderful little hotel is ideal for strolls around the historic Old Town. Life centres around the spacious sun deck, and breakfast is served in the quirky communal dining room. Artsy and romantic.
- Ponce Plaza Hotel is great for ambling around Ponce's well-preserved heritage district with ease. Housed in a colonial-era building, the hotel has smart, pared-back interiors with space for couples or groups of friends. There's a courtyard pool, restaurant and onsite casino. For sociable old town stays.
For an Eco Escape
- Royal Isabela is an indulgent cliffside resort with its own golf course, close to the coast. Book one of 20 casitas for spellbinding ocean views and private plunge pools. The property has a great focus on conservation as well as an organic farm which supplies fresh produce to the restaurant. An eco-minded oasis for relaxation and golf.
- 4 Casitas promises an off-the-beaten-track stay on a working farm in Puerto Rico's south-west. The project has been designed to be as self-sustaining as possible, and to minimise environmental impact. Enjoy farm-fresh fare, float around in the shared pool and hide away in contemporary casitas. Very relaxing.
- Finca Victoria offers pretty suites, cabins and treehouses in 2.5 acres of leafy hillside grounds. Enjoy garden-grown vegan breakfasts, Ayurvedic spa treatments and morning yoga, or admire clothing and jewellery by local designers in the onsite shop. A wellness-focused eco retreat for grownups on Vieques.
For a Family-Friendly Beach Break
- The Ritz Carlton Puerto Rico is the ultimate luxury beach resort, with sleek rooms and suites, swimming pools, tennis courts and several restaurants and bars. The kids club is great for little ones, whilst grown-ups can unwind at the spa. Elegant and exclusive, close to Isla Verde and San Juan.
- Dorado Beach is another Ritz Carlton property, promising an idyllic resort experience for guests of all ages. Built in the 1950s, this swish resort has been carefully updated, yet retains its charming, hacienda-style feel. Highlights include the Atlantic Ocean-side setting, delectable eateries and the soothing Spa Botánico. There are stacks of activities for little ones, too.
- Club Seabourne offers a charming hillside base for couples or families on Culebra. The hotel has 12 elegant rooms and suites, verdant gardens, a swimming pool and a dynamic Caribbean eatery onsite. Speak to the team to organise scuba courses, snorkelling, beach trips and more. Wonderful for guests of all ages, especially young families.
- Copamarina Beach Resort has a low-key feel, with two outdoor pools, a spa, gym and watersports centre on the south coast. Spacious villas and a kids club make it family-friendly, whilst the decor is simple and colourful. Very welcoming.
- Condado Vanderbilt has undergone a recent transformation, fusing its Spanish Revival architecture with lavish contemporary interiors. Families, couples and groups will delight in the multi-room suites, ample dining options, large swimming pool and brilliant beach location. Speak to the team about watersports and island excursions.
- The Gallery Inn is a beautiful heritage mansion-turned-hotel. Expect antiques, tapestries and artwork aplenty, as well as top-notch tapas. A lavish pick for history buffs and romantics in San Juan's Old Town. Plus, the hotel has its own beach house.
- Olive Boutique Hotel is an opulent choice for a romantic escape on the Condado Lagoon near San Juan. This adults-only property features spa showers and sleigh beds, as well as a rooftop terrace, plunge pool and extensive spa. The pan-Mediterranean cuisine is sublime. An intimate and luxurious treat.
- Hix Island House is a slick granite hotel tucked away in a secluded jungle setting on Vieques. The 19 modern rooms have fully equipped kitchens, private balconies, outdoor showers and tropical views. Cool off in the pool, take a yoga class or explore on a guided nature walk. An escape for couples or groups of friends.
- O:LV Fifty Five Hotel offers a glamorous urban base between the Condado Lagoon and San Juan's beaches. Stay here for award-winning contemporary decor, a swish restaurant and an appealingly sophisticated feel. High-end and adults-only.
- El Blok features swish, minimalist interiors and beautiful sea views. Close to the coast in Vieques Island's Esperanza, this ultra-modern hangout welcomes guests aged 16+. Highlights include evening tipples on the rooftop terrace, great Puerto Rican cuisine and plenty to see & do nearby — from watersports to bar-hopping.
- Malécon House is a chic, Art Deco-style boutique hotel in the charming Vieques village of Esperanza. Choose from one of 13 cosy, airy rooms, feast on gourmet breakfasts and stroll to the beach. A fun, characterful pick for romantic couples (though young families are also welcome). The ocean views from the balconies are stunning!
For Great Value
- La Jamaca is a rustic, blue-and-white guesthouse in La Parguera, near the south coast. Pick this place for the friendly, lively vibe and great value. Evenings of snacks and cocktails around the pool are desrvedly popular!
- Hotel Belgica offers simple and affordable rooms in Ponce's old town. Think wrought-iron furniture, private balconies and old-school tiled floors. A family-run B&B for those eager to experience traditional Puerto Rican charm and hospitality.
- Parador Villa Parguera has direct beach access, as well as sea views from rooms with classic bamboo furnishings. A very reasonably-priced choice for a beach holiday in southern Puerto Rico!
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Depending on your destination, fly to San Juan's Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, to Eugenio María de Hostos Airport in Mayaguëz or to Antonio Rivera Rodríguez Airport in Vieques. Travel to your hotel or villa by taxi.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars to explore Puerto Rico's many attractions by road.
- Be aware that Hurricane Maria caused widespread destruction of the island's infrastructure in 2017. Repairs are underway, but getting around might take a little longer.
- Expect balmy temperatures of around 25-28°C throughout the year. Peak season is between mid-December and mid-April. Travel between the end of the season and June for great hotel deals! The hurricane season officially lasts from June to November, with August and September as the highest risk months.
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in San Juan.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Puerto Rico
Best Hotels in Puerto Rico
Hotel Belgica Puerto Rico 20 rooms from £70City Style - Just minutes from the city's hot spots, and with charming sunny terraces, an ideal spotSights nearby - Catedral Nuestra Señora De Guadalupe; Parque de BombasGreat walks - To Paseo Tablado La Guancha (La Guancha Boardwalk)Local markets - Good for local colour.
Parador Villa Parguera Puerto Rico 74 rooms from £75Beach Life - Ground floor rooms open onto the beach, and plenty of water sports available, as well as the lovely Cabo Rojo LighthouseSights nearby - Playa Sucia and Cabo Rojo LighthouseFishing - Nearby Puerto Real fishing villageDiving - With West Divers
La Jamaca Colinas La Parguer, Puerto Rico 13 rooms from £77Beach Life - Tropical outdoor pool, chic contemporary rooms, and close to all the region's beautiful beachesSights nearby - Playa Sucia and Cabo Rojo LighthouseGreat walks - Along Cabo RojoSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel CasaBlanca Old San Juan 32 rooms from £97Local exploring - Ideally located in the heart of historic San Juan. Walk to sites, museums, restaurants, bars and the port in no timeFamilies - Two-bedroom Superior Suites offer rooms ideal for parents and kids, as well as fab views over Fort San CristobalRoof terrace - Ride the panoramic elevator up to the roof terrace with sun loungers, hot tubs and soaring Old Town viewsValue chic - Incredible value for pretty rooms with a prime location, fun decor and access to panoramic rooftop
A boutique hotel with an exotic Moroccan theme and an Old Town location. Styled with Moorish charm, each room is decorated with local art and antique furniture, while the restaurant and lobby lounge are dripping in oriental splendour. The rooftop offers wonderful views. Fab value and location. See More
Hix island House Vieques Island, Puerto Rico 19 rooms from £105Hideaway - Set within lush jungle foliage, with outdoor showers, huge terraces and open wallsGreat walks - Through surrounding 13-acre natural refuge of native trees, tall grasses, birds and butterfliesSights nearby - Island Adventures offers trips to bioluminescent bayRestrictions on children - No Children under the age of 14Recommended by - Fodors
The Gallery Inn Puerto Rico 20 rooms from £105Romantic Break - Eclectic mix of antiques, tapestries and courtyards in this boutique and romantic hotel in 200 year old mansionGreat walks - From the hotel's Beach House in La PerlaSights nearby - Castillo de San CristobalFull of characterRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
Ponce Plaza Hotel Ponce, Puerto Rico 69 rooms from £108Local exploring - Perfectly located to explore Ponce's well-preserved old town, famed art museum and seafront boardwalk a short drive awayBusiness meetings - Three function rooms seating up to 175 guests work for weddings, meetings and eventsRestaurant - In addition to the smart Lola restaurant, there's an all-day cafe that serves everything from salads & pizzas to coffee & cakeSwimming Pool - Located within sheltered palm-fringed courtyard, the outdoor pool is the perfect place to relax after a morning exploring
A modern hotel and casino situated within an atmospheric colonial-era building in central Ponce. Spacious suites & public areas are decorated in line with the area's heritage while the standard rooms, restaurant, coffee shop, casino & pool terrace have a chic urban feel. A fab base for exploring. See More
Dreamcatcher Guest House San Juan, Puerto Rico 10 rooms from £116Groups - Eco hotel with focus on vegetarian food and meditation classes, ideal for younger groups to explore city fromLocal markets - In Old San Juan, a ten minute driveFull of characterQuirky - An experience!Recommended by - Frommers
Water Beach Club San Juan, Puerto Rico 78 rooms from £116Romantic Break - Slick decor, swimming pool and roof terrace with outstanding views, beach a few minutes away and romantic dining tooLocal markets - In Old San Juan, 15 minutes awaySights nearby - Jose Miguel Agrelot ColiseumSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Fodors
Finca Victoria Vieques 6 rooms from £119Eco break - Expect Ayurvedic homegrown food, natural ventilation, biodegradable shampoo and conditioner & limited house-keepingValue chic - Stunning environmentally-consciouslly property that comes at a total stealHideaway - Little cocoon of wellness within tropical island paradiseViews - Located on one of the highest points of the island, there are epic sunrises and sunsets - as well as natural ventilation
Alternative hillside property made up of quirky cabins, treehouses & suites. Pretty rooms offer outdoor showers, balconies with sea & jungle views, while vegan breakfast is grown in the garden. A secluded wooded location creates a sense of calm with wellness offerings & programmes. A chic eco-lodge. See More
Club Seabourne Culebra, Puerto Rico 12 rooms from £132Hideaway - Hammocks within the tropical gardens, individual villas for real sense of privacy, easy access to nearby white beachesLocal markets - 3 km from Culebra Pueblo town centreSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.
Chic hillside hotel on Culebra Island. Rooms are contemporary with sleigh beds, large private verandahs and white shutters. Outdoor pool, enormous tropical gardens, library and massages available. Dynamic Caribbean cuisine in outdoor restaurant. Stylish, quiet and boutique. See More
El Blok Vieques Island 21 rooms from £133Total relaxation - Feel utterly rejuvenated at this peaceful island retreat — think 300 thread-count sheets, spectacular sea views and yummy food!Beach Life - El Blok is just a stone's throw from the beach, spend your days lounging on the seashore and sipping on cocktails.Foodies - Feast on some of the island's best food from James Beard Award-nominated chef Jose Enrique.Great walks - Head off hiking all over the island and enjoy some breathtaking views!Recommended by - Tablet
The architectural El Blok is located on the island of Vieques. Boutique, minimalist accommodation with white interiors and splashes of colour in the furnishings. Head up to the rooftop terrace and enjoy a drink at sunset! Lovely Puerto Rican cuisine served. A great stay in a top spot! See More
Villa Herencia Old San Juan 8 rooms from £135Local exploring - Explore charming cobblestone streets of colourful San Juan. Walk to restaurants, galleries, sites, bars and markets in minutesCity Style - Offers an authentic experience of Old San Juan in a homely setting; close enough to everything yet tucked away and tranquilSit-out Terrace - Upper rooftop Sun Deck is the heart of the property; relax on loungers, day beds and hammocks before soaking in the hot tubSights nearby - The property is located between two of Old San Juan's most famous sites; Puerta de San Juan and Cathedral of San Juan Citadel
Delightful boutique hotel located in the pretty historic district. The colonial-style building features an atmospheric courtyard and spacious sundeck with a hot tub. Bold and beautiful communal rooms blend modern art and antique furnishings. A quaint slice of history with character and charm. See More
Copamarina Beach Resort Puerto Rico 106 rooms from £144Families - Excellent kids club, villas come with plenty of living space and kitchens, one child-friendly pool and spa for parentsDiving - At the Wall at Playa Santa, a continental shelf dropping more than 1,500 feet.Great walks - To Rio Camuy CavesSights nearby - Gilligan's IslandRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers
El Convento San Juan, Puerto Rico 58 rooms from £155City Style - Walking distance to many of the city's sights, opulent interiors, pool, terrace and excellent diningSailing - San Juan Nautical ClubSights nearby - San Cristobal FortressFull of characterRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Palacio Provincial San Juan (Old Town) 43 rooms from £173Roof terrace - Set amongst crumbling colonial buildings, the airy rooftop with outdoor seating, pool deck and cathedral views is a real drawLocal exploring - Perfectly-situated base to explore North America's oldest European settlement on footCity Style - An exciting new entry into Old San Juan's established hotel sceneSights nearby - Cristo Chapel, San Juan Bautista Cathedral, Museum of San Juan and Ponce de Leon Statue are just around the corner
Effortlessly combining old & new, this beautifully restored 200-year old building offers a fresh & on-trend stay. Contemporary rooms feature soaring ceilings, shutters & sea views. Enjoy a rooftop terrace with a pool plus an on-site restaurant. A chic boutique base well placed in the Old Town. See More
Malécon House Vieques 13 rooms from £173Local exploring - Fab base for exploring all the the island has to offer; untouched beaches, great diving, historic sites and vibrant night lifeValue chic - Exceptional value for chic interiors, stylish pool and enviable water-facing locationFamilies - Children under five (staying in the same room as their parents) stay freeSwimming Pool - Beautiful rock waterfall swimming pool surrounded by thatch parasols is the perfect place to spend the afternoon
Stylish boutique hotel facing the sea in the village of Esperanza. The Art Deco-inspired building sits within a lush garden compound; a breakfast terrace & tropical pool are surrounded by flowering fruit trees. Fresh well-appointed rooms are a masterclass in modern colonial chic. Ocean-front gem. See More
4 Casitas Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico 3 rooms from £208Hideaway - The place to experience off-the-beaten track Puerto Rico; you're surrounded by rolling hills, unspoilt countryside and farmlandEco break - Aiming to become self-sustainble, the property has put into place impressive measures around water, electricity and recyclingGroups - Book out the three casistas with friends for a private rural getaway where everyone has their own privacySights nearby - Venture out to Capes of Los Morrillos lighthouse and ‘La Playuela’ beach
Eco-friendly casitas situated on a working farm in rural South West. Spacious and airy interiors with cool contemporary furnishings have been designed to minimise environmental impact; all come with farm-fresh breakfast, open-plan kitchens, shady patios & access to a shared pool. A homely hideaway. See More
Ritz Carlton Puerto Rico San Juan, Puerto Rico 416 rooms from £210Beach Life - Hotel leads right onto the white sand beach, with pool close by, and palm trees keeping you company alongside superb serviceRomantic Break - Superb beach side pool, excellent spa with couples' treatments, romantic creamy bedrooms and dining for twoKids Club - Supervised activities for children from 5-12 years.Local markets - In Historic Old San JuanRecommended by - Fodors
Luxurious 5* hotel on the beach. Creamy rooms have silk furnishings, marble bathrooms, contemporary furniture. Outdoor pool, beach access, tennis courts, gym, spa and full casino. Outstanding Italian, Tapas and American cuisine; elegant bar. Opulent, exclusive and idyllic. See More
Condado Vanderbilt San Juan 316 rooms from £240Romantic Break - Couples love the luxurious linens and cosy restaurant at this exclusive beach hotel; book a romantic couples' massageTotal relaxation - With a spa, wellness centre and pool onsite, this hotel offers guests total relaxationBeach Life - With a prime, seafront location, this hotel is perfect for a relaxing beach getawaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
This luxury beach resort is located in a newly restored heritage property in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Guestrooms boast plush soft furnishings, French windows and custom-made, dark wood furnishings; book a suite for living space and sea views. Unwind at the spa before dinner; a refined beach getaway. See More
Condado Ocean Club San Juan (Condado) 96 rooms from £250Total relaxation - Spend idyllic days at The Deck; enjoy the infinity pool, sandy beach, private cabanas and lively cocktail bar with guest DJsBusiness meetings - Located five mins from Puerto Rico Convention Center, the hotel offers sea-view meeting rooms and impressive event cateringLocal exploring - Explore the lively local area, venture our for day trips, visit shops, museums and restaurants or simply relax by the beachBeach Life - As well as the island's many nearby beaches, it's mere steps to the hotel's protected sandy beach
Luxury adult-only beach resort in the heart of San Juan. Enjoy modern hi-tech rooms with fresh nautical colour schemes, fab sea views, two restaurants and a happening pool bar. Ideal for those who want to relax yet have plenty of entertainment, sightseeing and nightlife options on the doorstep. See More
Olive Boutique Hotel San Juan, Puerto Rico 15 rooms from £257Romantic Break - Adults only hotel with spa showers, roof terrace to enjoy champagne, plunge pool and superb cuisineSights nearby - Conservatory of Music of Puerto Rico and Plaza del MercadoLocal markets - 10-minute drive from San Juan’s Old TownRestrictions on children - Over-18s hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet, Frommers
Serafina Beach Hotel San Juan 96 rooms from £281Beach Life - A super chilled out beachfront property, offering blue and white beach-chic interiors and fabulous views of the oceanRomantic Break - Book the Love package to get a free bottle of bubbles, romantic dinner for two and in room tandem massagesRestrictions on children - Adults onlyLively - Hip and happening.
A cool new beach-chic property overlooking Condado Lagoon. Clever use of texture and colour creates a bright nautical feel in the design, add to this huge floor to ceiling windows and you can't get closer to the sea! The restaurant is a local hotspot, as is the elegant pool area and bar. See More
O:LV Fifty Five Hotel San Juan (Condado) 26 rooms from £375Romantic Break - Couples love the relaxed atmosphere at this adults-only hotel; book a table at the restaurant for a romantic mealBeach Life - Sitting right on the seafront in San Juan, this hotel is perfect for a luxury beach breakCity Style - With contemporary, award-winning interiors, this hotel has lots of chic city styleRestrictions on children - Adults-only hotelRecommended by - Tablet
This stylish boutique hotel sits between the Condado Lagoon and the beach in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Guestrooms feature bespoke marble bathrooms, leather accents and custom-made furnishings; book the Panorama Suite for floor-to-ceiling views and a terrace. Dine at the sleek restaurant; a chic hotel. See More
Royal Isabela Isabela, Puerto Rico 20 rooms from £429Romantic Break - Perfect for those looking to reconnect; romantic villas, relaxed activities and atmospheric dining ensure quality couple timeTotal relaxation - The place to escape from it all; spend relaxing afternoons by the pool, on the golf course or simply soaking in the viewsGolf - Make sure to play a round of golf at The Links, the resort's dramatic ocean-view nature-friendly coursePrivate Hot Tub - Every casita boasts its own private plunge pool and spacious terrace
Luxury cliffside resort on the dramatic northwest coast. Set over acres of greenery, stand-alone casitas with natural wood interiors boast private pools and ocean-facing terraces. Award-winning golf, in-room massages, pool and on-trend dining ensure indulgent days. Ideal for fly'n'flop breaks. See More
Dorado Beach A Ritz Carlton Reserve Dorado, Puerto Rico 114 rooms from £1599Foodies - Dining is an integral part of the experience at this resort; from gourmet to grill, there is something to suit all palettesSpa breaks - Book into the hotel's Spa Botánico, a unique, aromatherapy-inspired spa with a range of treatmentsBeach Life - Set on the sunny sands of Dorado Beach, this hotel is perfect for a luxury island getawayKayaking - Try your hand at sea kayaking during your stay here, with kayaks available from the hotel
This secluded luxury resort borders the Atlantic Ocean on the coast of Puerto Rico. Dating to the 1950s, the resort now offers contemporary residences while retaining the hacienda-style of the original property. A handful of exclusive restaurants, a spa and pool complete this sleek island getaway. See More