Search the best hotels in Vieques
Vieques gorgeously typifies the small, Caribbean island experience. It's just five miles across and 21 miles long, many of those miles including wide stretches of unspoiled sand, and there's little traffic - and in fact no traffic lights. So it's not just peaceful, it's a paradise for cyclists. Vieques isn't uninhabited though, there are plenty of beach bars in which to sip your cocktails, decent restaurants and some very nice choices when it comes to the best places to stay in Vieques.
The highlight of the island has to be Bioluminescent Bay, an ethereal lagoon which is home to millions of tiny little organisms which glow a strange green after dark. This is surely one of the world's great natural wonders.
While Vieques is considered very peaceful by mainland standards, it actually hots up quite nicely after dark, with regular music nights in the two towns, Esperanza and Isabel II.
What Not To Miss
- A trip to Vieques Island would be amiss without a visit to the Bioluminescent Bay - this natural wonder is bound to leave you spellbound.
- Caracas Beach, La Chiva, and Sun Bay Beach are all terrific spots to spend your days basking in the sun's rays.
- Nature-lovers should also consider visiting the Vieques National Wildlife Refuge.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Vieques are perfect spots for an idyllic off the beaten track Caribbean holiday.
The best places to stay in Vieques Island
For an idyllic beach break
- The W retreat is a gorgeous five-star resort right on the beach, with colourful detail and enormous bathrooms and sun decks. There are just 15 rooms, but between them, they share an outdoor pool, gym, spa, tennis courts, a library and a private beach. The restaurant is very Puerto Rican.
For total relaxation
- Hix Island House is a square, granite affair with slick decor and outdoor showers surrounded by jungle. Stunning and secluded, these 19 rooms also have their own full kitchens, so you can hide away from everyone if you so choose.
- The Crow's Nest is a charming, rural B&B with beautiful views and family-friendly seclusion. The decor is colourful, to match the bright pink bougainvillaea surrounding the house, and you're a short stroll from Bioluminescent Bay, Fort Conde de Mirasol and Isabel Segunda Harbour.
For a boutique retreat
- El Blok is an architectural delight, with boutique, minimalist accommodation in a quirky building. Great views out to sea and a lovely rooftop terrace which is ideal for an evening tipple.
For an apartment, holiday home or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- It's never exactly chilly in Vieques Island, with the average temperature ranging from 21-31°C year-round.
- However, be warned that the hurricane risk is greatest from August to November.
- Peak season is from mid-December to mid-April so perhaps avoid visiting at this time.
- Fly into San Juan Airport before taking a connecting flight over to Vieques Airport.
- If you fancy exploring the island in its entirety, hire a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Vieques.
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Puerto Rico.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Vieques
Best Hotels in Vieques
Hix island House Vieques Island, Puerto Rico 19 rooms from £105Hideaway - Set within lush jungle foliage, with outdoor showers, huge terraces and open wallsGreat walks - Through surrounding 13-acre natural refuge of native trees, tall grasses, birds and butterfliesSights nearby - Island Adventures offers trips to bioluminescent bayViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Fodors
Crow's Nest Vieques Island, Puerto Rico 17 rooms from £119Families - Large living areas and full kitchens, outdoor pool and plenty of outdoor fun nearbyGreat walks - Around Fort Conde de Mirasol and Isabel Segunda HarborSights nearby - Bioluminescent BayViews - Great views from hotel
El Blok Vieques Island 21 rooms from £133Total relaxation - Feel utterly rejuvenated at this peaceful island retreat- think 300 thread-count sheets, spectacular sea views and yummy food!Beach Life - El Blok is just a stone's throw from the beach, spend your days lounging on the seashore and sipping on cocktails.Foodies - Feast on some of the island's best food from James Beard Award-nominated chef Jose Enrique.Great walks - Head off hiking all over the island and enjoy some breathtaking views!Recommended by - Tablet
The architectural El Blok is located on the island of Vieques. Boutique, minimalist accommodation with white interiors and splashes of colour in the furnishings. Head up to the rooftop terrace and enjoy a drink at sunset! Lovely Puerto Rican cuisine served. A great stay in a top spot! See More
W Retreat Vieques Island, Puerto Rico 15 rooms from £311Beach Life - Every activity you could wish for is available, as well as turquoise pool & white sand beach with full hotel serviceRomantic Break - Couples' spa treatments, romantic decor and enormous bathtubs in rooms, sunsets from poolside cabanasKayaking - With Black Beard SportsFull of characterRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Fodors
Gorgeous 5* resort on the beach. Decor is contemporary, with muted furnishings and colourful details; enormous bathrooms and sundecks. Outdoor pool, gym, spa, tennis courts, library and private beach. Superb Puerto Rican menu using local grown produce. Luxurious, chic and cool. See More