Search the best hotels in Medellin
The vibrant, wealthy and bustling capital of the mountainous province of Antioquia, Medellin is known as "the city of eternal spring" for its temperate climate, and though it was once synonymous with the drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, it is actually one of the safest and friendliest cities in Colombia. A party town with an ecstatic nightlife, nestling in a narrow valley with skyscrapers tall and bright against a backdrop of rugged Andean peaks, it boasts a fantastic range of art galleries, museums and a colourful downtown area - with places like Comuna 3 adorned with political street murals, and in grand squares like that of the Botero Plaza, lined with sculptures by one of Colombia's most-loved artists, while in the more upmarket sides you find boutiques, concept stores, rooftop bars and gourmet restaurants. To truly appreciate the gorgeous surroundings of the city, take one of the cable cars that stretch across Medellin and see the valley sweeping beneath your feet in stunning panoramas. Outside the city is a different world: forests, lakes, swamps, butterfly enclosures and rivers peppered with gondolas. Exciting and unpretentiously cool, the best places to stay in Medellin are in a range of boutiques, from chic to urban-designer, perfect base-camps to explore the city from.
What not to miss
- Take the metro cable car system for scenic views of the valley.
- Check out Botero Plaza and marvel at the beautiful sculptures.
- Find solace in the Basilica de la Candelaria, one of the few remaining colonial buildings.
- Head to upscale El Poblado and enjoy the range of boutiques, concept stores, clubs, restaurants and rooftop bars.
- Take the Pablo Escobar historical tour.
- Visit Comuna 13 and see the manic and colourful political murals.
- Head 30km from the city centre, to Parque Arvi, and walk amidst the landscape of forest, lakes and rivers - be sure to book a gondola ride.
- Go north of the city, to Sant Fe, the picturesque colonial town teeming with cathedrals, wide plazas, palaces and charming cobbled streets.
A truly mesmerising and colourful city, Medellin is a great stepping stone to the surrounding areas, boasts some great bars and restaurants, a colourful downtown area and a fascinating history. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Medellin to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Medellin
- 574 Hotel is a boutique hotel located in the heart of the El Poblado District in Medellín. Rooms are bright and simply dressed with white linens and wicker accents; the best suite offers a private indoor jacuzzi. Enjoy a traditional Colombian breakfast at the hotel's Caimán Café terrace. A chic city hotel.
- Patio del Mundo is housed in a charming villa in Medellín, Colombia. The individually styled rooms are inspired by different parts of the world and feature boutique furnishings and rich linens; the best suites offer a private patio. Relax with a drink in the hotel's tropical gardens. A chic city oasis.
- The Charlee offers avant-garde, designer rooms that are dressed in 5 styles which blur the line between indoor and outdoor space; book an Envy Suite for a private terrace jacuzzi and teppanyaki grill. Enjoy a lively evening at the rooftop bar; a unique city hotel.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- There is never a bad time to visit "the city of eternal spring". The climate remains temperate throughout the year, lying somewhere between 17 and 28 degrees.
- Fly to Jose Maria Cordova International Airport, 20km's from Medellin: get either one of the regular shuttle buses to the city, or book a taxi.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- For a seaside holiday, check out our collection of the best places to stay in Buritaca
- or Colombia
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Medellin
Best Hotels in Medellin
574 Hotel Medellin (El Poblado) 15 rooms from £32Local exploring - Located in the heart of the trendy El Poblado District, this hotel is in a great spot for local exploring in MedellínCity Style - With chic, contemporary interiors and a pretty terrace, this hotel has lots of local styleRomantic Break - Book the hot tub suite for a couple's getaway with added luxuryGreat walks - Wander through Pueblito Paisa, a replica of a typical turn-of-the-century Antioquia town located on located on Cerro Nutibarra
This boutique hotel is located in the heart of the El Poblado District in Medellín. Rooms are bright and simply dressed with white linens and wicker accents; the best suite offers a private indoor hot tub. Enjoy a traditional Colombian breakfast at the hotel's Caimán Café terrace. A chic city hotel. See More
Sites Hotel Medellin (El Poblado) 60 rooms from £55Families - The self-contained apartments at this hotel are great for parents travelling with children; kids love the roof terrace pool, tooLocal exploring - Set in a quiet neighbourhood with close proximity to Medellín's main attractions, this hotel is a good base for local exploringCity Style - Set in a stylish property in an attractive residential district of Medellín, this hotel has reams of city charmSights nearby - Visit Pueblito Paisa, a replica of a traditional Colombian pueblito or little village; enquire at reception for a transferRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This contemporary hotel offers guests the opportunity to live like a local in one of Medellín's residential neighbourhoods. The purpose-built property offers lofts and apartments with chic wooden floors, a cosy sitting room and kitchenette, plus city views. Unwind at the rooftop pool; a smart hotel. See More
Click Clack Hotel Medellin (El Poblado) 123 rooms from £76Local exploring - With a central city location in one of Colombia's up-and-coming destinations, this hotel is perfect for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the stylish, modern interiors at this hotel; book a superior suite for a romantic bathtubCity Style - Set in a landmark contemporary property in El Poblado, this hotel has lots of chic Medellín styleGreat walks - Explore downtown Medellín on foot with a long walk through the city; head to Dancer's Park to see rehearsing performersRecommended by - Tablet
This contemporary design hotel is located in the vibrant El Poblado district of Medellín. Set behind an asymmetrical facade, rooms feature boutique design pieces inspired by the art of photography; book a suite for a luxury freestanding bath. Head to the patio restaurant for dinner; a chic hotel. See More
Patio del Mundo Medellin (El Poblado) 7 rooms from £88Local exploring - Located in the trendy El Poblado district, this hotel is in a great location for local exploring in MedellínHideaway - With a peaceful tropical garden, this hotel is a chic hideout from the bustling cityRomantic Break - Book a suite with a private patio for added luxury on your couples' getawaySights nearby - Take a peek at the dancer's performing in the nearby Dancer's Park, a stone's throw from the hotel
This hotel is housed in a charming villa in Medellín, Colombia. The individually styled rooms are inspired by different parts of the world and feature boutique furnishings and rich linens; the best suites offer a private patio. Relax with a drink in the hotel's tropical gardens. A chic city oasis. See More
The Charlee Medellin (El Poblado) 42 rooms from £130Romantic Break - Book a romantic Envy Suite for a luxurious outdoor hot tub and Japanese grill for preparing your own culinary favouritesCity Style - With five unique room styles offering chic outdoor space and private hot tubs, this hotel has lots of city styleFoodies - Fans of Japanese cuisine will love the hotel's unique Spice suites, which feature an individual teppanyaki grillSights nearby - Watch rehearsals in the neighbouring Dancer's Park, so-called for the dance groups that practice there
This boutique hotel is located in Medellín, Colombia. The avant-garde, designer rooms are dressed in 5 styles which blur the line between indoor and outdoor space; book an Envy Suite for a private terrace hot tub and teppanyaki grill. Enjoy a lively evening at the rooftop bar; a unique city hotel. See More