Search the best hotels in Medellin
The vibrant, wealthy and bustling capital of the mountainous province of Antioquia, Medellin is known as "the city of eternal spring" for its temperate climate, and though it was once synonymous with the drug kingpin Pablo Escobar (the eponymous Pablo Escobar tour is a must!), it is actually one of the safest and friendliest cities in Colombia. A party town with an vibrant nightlife, nestling in a narrow valley with skyscrapers tall and bright against a backdrop of rugged Andean peaks, it boasts a fantastic range of art galleries and museums. The downtown area is colourful - a mix of political street murals in Comuna 13 and grand squares like Botero Plaza, lined with sculptures by one of Colombia's most-loved artists, while in the upscale El Poblado district you will find boutiques, concept stores, rooftop bars and gourmet restaurants. Exciting and unpretentiously cool, the best places to stay in Medellin range from cosy boutiques to chic, urban-designer hotels, all of them perfect base-camps for exploring this amazing city.
But to truly appreciate all that Medillin has to offer, you must not miss its gorgeous surroundings. A trip in one of the cable cars that stretch across the city opens up some stunning panoramas, while not far away in Parque Arvi you can explore a different world: forests, lakes, swamps, butterfly enclosures and rivers peppered with gondolas. Last, just an hour north by road is the charming Sant Fe de Antioquia, a picturesque colonial town teeming with cathedrals, wide plazas, palaces and charming cobbled streets - well worth a day trip.
In summary, Medellin is a truly mesmerising and colourful city as well as a great stepping stone to the surrounding area. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Medellin to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Medellin
- 574 Hotel is an excellent and great value hotel located in the heart of the El Poblado District. Rooms are bright and simply dressed with white linens and wicker accents; the best suite offers a private indoor jacuzzi. Enjoy a traditional Colombian breakfast at the hotel's Caimán Café terrace. A great city hotel choice.
- The larger Sites Hotel is located in a quiet residential district, and offers contemporary, well featured rooms, a rooftop pool, and lofts and apartments with kitchenettes for family groups and those who want to self cater.
- Patio del Mundo is housed in a charming villa. The individually styled rooms are inspired by different parts of the world and feature boutique furnishings and rich linens; the best suites offer a private patio. Relax with a drink in the hotel's tropical gardens. A chic city oasis.
- The Charlee offers avant-garde, designer rooms that are dressed in 5 styles which blur the line between indoor and outdoor space; book an Envy Suite for a private terrace jacuzzi and teppanyaki grill. Enjoy a lively evening at the rooftop bar; a unique city hotel.
- The architectural Click Clack Hotel is a design hotel in the vibrant El Poblado district. With rooms boasting free standing luxury baths and designer furniture, the Click Clack is a chic option for those who appreciate quirky cutting edge style.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- There is never a bad time to visit "the city of eternal spring". The climate remains temperate throughout the year, lying somewhere between 17 and 28 degrees.
- Fly to Jose Maria Cordova International Airport, 20km's from Medellin: get either one of the regular shuttle buses to the city, or book a taxi.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- For a seaside holiday, check out our collection of the best places to stay in Buritaca
- or Colombia
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Medellin
Best Hotels in Medellin
574 Hotel Medellin (El Poblado) 15 rooms from £32Local exploring - Located in the heart of the trendy El Poblado District, this hotel is in a great spot for local exploring in MedellínCity Style - With chic, contemporary interiors and a pretty terrace, this hotel has lots of local styleRomantic Break - Book the hot tub suite for a couple's getaway with added luxuryGreat walks - Wander through Pueblito Paisa, a replica of a typical turn-of-the-century Antioquia town located on located on Cerro Nutibarra
This boutique hotel is located in the heart of the El Poblado District in Medellín. Rooms are bright and simply dressed with white linens and wicker accents; the best suite offers a private indoor hot tub. Enjoy a traditional Colombian breakfast at the hotel's Caimán Café terrace. A chic city hotel. See More
Sites Hotel Medellin (El Poblado) 60 rooms from £55Local exploring - Set in a quiet neighbourhood with close proximity to Medellín's main attractions, this hotel is a good base for local exploringFamilies - The self-contained apartments at this hotel are great for parents travelling with children; kids love the roof terrace pool, tooCity Style - Set in a stylish property in an attractive residential district of Medellín, this hotel has reams of city charmSights nearby - Visit Pueblito Paisa, a replica of a traditional Colombian pueblito or little village; enquire at reception for a transferRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This contemporary hotel offers guests the opportunity to live like a local in one of Medellín's residential neighbourhoods. The purpose-built property offers lofts and apartments with chic wooden floors, a cosy sitting room and kitchenette, plus city views. Unwind at the rooftop pool; a smart hotel. See More
Click Clack Hotel, Medellin Medellin (El Poblado) 123 rooms from £76Local exploring - With a central city location in one of Colombia's up-and-coming destinations, this hotel is perfect for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the stylish, modern interiors at this hotel; book a superior suite for a romantic bathtubCity Style - Set in a landmark contemporary property in El Poblado, this hotel has lots of chic Medellín styleGreat walks - Explore downtown Medellín on foot with a long walk through the city; head to Dancer's Park to see rehearsing performersRecommended by - Tablet
This contemporary design hotel is located in the vibrant El Poblado district of Medellín. Set behind an asymmetrical facade, rooms feature boutique design pieces inspired by the art of photography; book a suite for a luxury freestanding bath. Head to the patio restaurant for dinner; a chic hotel. See More
Patio del Mundo Medellin (El Poblado) 7 rooms from £88Local exploring - Located in the trendy El Poblado district, this hotel is in a great location for local exploring in MedellínHideaway - With a peaceful tropical garden, this hotel is a chic hideout from the bustling cityRomantic Break - Book a suite with a private patio for added luxury on your couples' getawaySights nearby - Take a peek at the dancer's performing in the nearby Dancer's Park, a stone's throw from the hotel
This hotel is housed in a charming villa in Medellín, Colombia. The individually styled rooms are inspired by different parts of the world and feature boutique furnishings and rich linens; the best suites offer a private patio. Relax with a drink in the hotel's tropical gardens. A chic city oasis. See More
The Charlee Medellin (El Poblado) 42 rooms from £130Romantic Break - Book a romantic Envy Suite for a luxurious outdoor hot tub and Japanese grill for preparing your own culinary favouritesCity Style - With five unique room styles offering chic outdoor space and private hot tubs, this hotel has lots of city styleFoodies - Fans of Japanese cuisine will love the hotel's unique Spice suites, which feature an individual teppanyaki grillSights nearby - Watch rehearsals in the neighbouring Dancer's Park, so-called for the dance groups that practice there
This boutique hotel is located in Medellín, Colombia. The avant-garde, designer rooms are dressed in 5 styles which blur the line between indoor and outdoor space; book an Envy Suite for a private terrace hot tub and teppanyaki grill. Enjoy a lively evening at the rooftop bar; a unique city hotel. See More