Search the best hotels in Buritaca
On the Northernmost coast of Colombia, Buritaca is a small sleepy town overshadowed by jungle-covered mountains and sitting beside a freshwater river that flows into the sea. It has a great many beaches, gorgeous scenery and is on the whole a place of quiet, ideal for respite from larger cities like Santa Marta, which lies 48km away. While it is well known for its beaches it is still fairly unpolluted by mass-tourism and makes for a wonderful holiday escape and a great starting-point for exploring much of the area. The best places to stay in Buritaca will give you that Caribbean holiday you've always dreamed about!
While fairly technologically backwards compared to cities like Santa Marta and Pereira (remember to bring cash because many vendors will not accept cards), the charm of the town lies in her tranquility and sunny innocence: the beaches are wide and sandy, the waters are sparkling and clean and due to being miles from anywhere, Buritaca is unspoilt by throngs of tourists. Whether you're sunbathing on the beaches that line the Caribbean Sea, showering in the nearby waterfalls or diving in the placid waters of the freshwater river running down from the mountains, you will be lulled by the calm of the place.
Perched besides the Tayrona National Park, there is a purity in the air - full of lush vegetation, tropical trees and blue lagoons. Nearby is the Naironaka Nature Reserve, a testament to the native tribesmen who used to live in these parts.
What Not to miss
- The beaches: whether its the Canaveral Beach in the Tayrona National Park, the riversides of the Buritaca or the beachfronts of the town itself, you are truly spoilt for choice.
- Swim with dolphins at the Rodadero Aquarium and Sea Museum in Santa Marta: they have over 900 specimens, including sharks and turtles, and you get the chance to literally swim with dolphins.
- See how native tribesmen lived and built their homes at the Taironaka Nature Reserve: it has an archaeological museum and perfectly-detailed villages to show how the Tayrona civilisation lived, worked and prayed.
A small town awash in picturesque scenery, Buritaca is a great stepping stone for exploring the region and sunbathing on beautiful beaches, and the best places to stay in Buritaca are perfect bases from which to do either.
The best places to stay in Buritaca
For Rustic charm
Gitana del Mar is a beautiful mix of bamboo, thatch and great local cuisine. Sitting between the beach and rainforest, this hotel is particularly popular with yoga enthusiasts who can take advantage of the morning class.
For Beach life
- Merecumbe Hotel offers guests quiet cabanas sitting just behind the private beach with traditional architecture and a great restaurant.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments, if you'd prefer a self-catering option.
- Buritaca is on the northernmost coast of Colombia, close to the Tyrona National Park. The closest airport is Santa Marta Interational Airport. From here you can arrange a transfer, or else catch an airport shuttle, then bus to the entrance to the National Park. From there you’ll need a taxi. Alternatively you could fly in to Valledupar or Riohacha and pick up a taxi, or fly to Cartagena or Barranquilla and catch a bus.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- Buritaca is hot all year round and the temperature rarely goes beneath 30 degrees: to miss the tropical rains, it is best to go between December and March.
Still not sure which to book?
Browse our list of the best places to stay in Buritaca,
expand your search to include our recommendations in Santa Marta,
or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Buritaca
Best Hotels in Buritaca
Gitana Del Mar Buritaca 6 rooms from £127Beach Life - Step out of your bungalow onto a tranquil white sandy beach.Diving - The hotel offers private diving excursions.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Find rustic chic style in this secluded spot wedged between the jungle and a white sandy beach. Charming bungalows are all bamboo, white washed walls and simple, yet refined, design. Dine on creative dishes in the palm thatched restaurant and limber up in the morning with a yoga class. Fabulous. See More
Merecumbe Hotel Buritaca 10 rooms from £156Beach Life - Boasting its own private beach this is the perfect spot for unwinding by the sea.Active Holiday - Numerous water and land based activities to partake in.Great walks - Take a sunset stroll along the Bastidas Boardwalk.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A charming ocean front hotel comprising of chic cabanas. Secluded rooms feature thatched roofs, polished wooden floors and open air bathrooms. Feast on regional fare in the restaurant. Stroll down to the private beach or head out to explore one of the national parks. A chic beach option. See More