Search the best hotels in Pereira
Pereira is the lively commercial centre of the "Coffee Axis" of Colombia: fun, friendly and fast-paced, it is far from the touring crowds of gringos and lies in the foothills of the Andes, surrounded by valleys of bamboo and sugarcane and mountains planted with coffee and bananas. A happening place with a thriving nightlife, the best places to stay in Peirera will place you in the beating heart of this vibrant city.
The area was once inhabited by the Pijao and Quimbaya tribes who were famed for being expert goldsmiths, and this stands as a symbol for Peirera's reputation as a commercial hub of spirited entrepreneurship. In 1540 it was founded as the city of Carthage but quickly this was abandoned, and the city was moved elsewhere. In 1863 it was rediscovered and the first seeds of the city we find today were planted. It is now the most populated city of the "Coffee Axis", a region that is itself a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Far from being flooded with tourists, Peirera is a bustling commercial metropolis and has few notable attractions. However, it is a colourful city full of art, there are bright muraled buildings, sculptures, mosaics and wall paintings. The Cathedral, too, has an idiosyncratic and rather beautiful wooden interior. Peirera is better served as a stepping stone for activities and sights that lie beyond its streets, whether it's the National Natural Parks - great for hiking or bird watching - or the outdoor adventure centres in the townships in the surrounding area.
What Not to miss
- Make a trip to see the Cathedral of Our Lady of Poverty, dating back to 1890, the interior is built from 13,503 pieces of curly cumin wood. On the west side of the Plaza de Bolivar, it is as picturesque as it is tranquil.
- The mountains that overshadow Peirera are great for everything from horseriding and hiking to biking, canopying and rock climbing. Townships like Arabia and Tribunas offer these activities.
- Lying 30km away is the picturesque and extremely well-preserved town of Marsella that stands as a great example of a Founders Colony, with wide streets, colourful 19th century houses and beautiful churches.
Not your average tourist honeytrap, Peirera is a bustling commercial centre with an animated nightlife and a fun-loving spirit. It proves to be a great stepping stone for excursions into the "Coffee Axis" and the natural parks of Colombia, and some of the best places to stay in Peirera are in fact just outside the city itself.
The best places to stay in Peirera
For a Country escape
- Hacienda Castilla is an old colonial building in the outskirts of the city, this hotel offers 9 traditionally-furnished rooms, an outdoor pool and a lovely rural ambience.
- Sazagua is a stunning hacienda in the heart of coffee-country, it offers 10 spacious rustic rooms, a spa and an outdoor pool.
- Set in the beautiful hills and coffee plantations of Pereira, Casa san Carlos Lodge, is a sustainably-built luxury lodge, complete with pool. Ideal for nature lovers.
For an apartment or villa
- If you would prefer something self-catering our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the local area.
- The best time to visit is between December and March, when it rains the least, and the weather ranges from 17 to 27 degrees.
- Fly to Matecana International Airport, mainly served by domestic flights, there are however also two flights daily to Panama City. A number of buses run directly to Pereira's main station from across the country.
- If you are looking to rent a car we suggest you contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Pereira
Hacienda Castilla Pereira (Plazuela) 9 rooms from £74
The colonial Hacienda Castilla is situated just outside Pereira. If offers unfussy, traditional accommodation whilst it also boasts an outdoor pool-perfect for a refreshing dip to escape the afternoon heat! Whether you want to head into town or enjoy the quiet ambiance, this is the place for you.Value chic - Traditional heritage accommodation with bags of style at a reasonable price.Sights nearby - Matecana Zoo is only a short distance away and has a huge amount of exotic animals-well worth a visit!Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorTraditional
Sazagua Pereira (4 Urbanization Quimbayita) 10 rooms from £78
A gorgeous hacienda in the heart of Colombia's coffee growing region. Atmospheric interiors feature warm hues, beamed ceilings and antique furniture. Meals are served on an open veranda that runs the length of the property. A spoiling spa is pure indulgence. A stunning rural abode.Active Holiday - Whether horse riding or hiking is your preference there's plenty of activities in the area.Local exploring - Ideally located in the heart of Colombia's coffee region.Cooking classes - Take a class with the hotel chef and learn how to cook regional dishes alongside some wine sampling.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
Casa San Carlos Lodge Pereira (San Carlos 1, Pereira, Risaralda) 22 rooms from £84
Set in the beautiful hills and coffee plantations of Pereira, this sustainably-built luxury lodge, with pool, is ideal for nature lovers. Rustic chic rooms feature plenty of wood, exposed beams, crisp white linen and terraces. Feast on top-notch dishes made with home-grown produce. Fabulous.Sights nearby - Located 40 minutes from Marseille, a charming town cafeteria, in one of the most beautiful landscapes of the Coffee CultureCooking classes - Visit the Finca las Brisas and experience first hand the art of creating a unique chocolateBack to NatureBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
Hacienda San Jose Pereira (El Tigre) 11 rooms from £107
This boutique hotel is located on a 19th-century hacienda in Pereira, Colombia. Rooms are individually styled, with classic furnishings complementing the heritage property; book the suite for colonial-era luxury, with multiple beds and a bathtub. Eat at the hosts' table; a charming country escape.Country Escape - Located on a hacienda amid the Pereira coffee plantations, this hotel makes a great escape to the countryFamilies - Book the suite for extra space for all the family; kids love the hotel swimming pool and huge groundsLocal exploring - This hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in Pereira and the surrounding countrysideGreat walks - Explore the beautiful natural landscapes surrounding the hotel on a long walk; ask the hosts for recommended routes