Search the best hotels in Hvar
The island of Hvar is considered to be the jewel, among jewels, of the Dalmatian Coast. With a splendid neo-classical harbour, it is rich in history, architecture and landscape and enjoys a climate of warm winters and dry summers. Consequently it has long been a popular destination for tourists and sailing folk alike. The best places to stay in Hvar are perfect for enjoying the magnificent sights or following in the footsteps of the illustrious Greeks, Illyrians, Venetians and Napoleonic soldiers who trod these elegantly cobbled streets in years gone by.
What not to Miss
- Hvar is home to lavender fields, olive groves and vineyards. The island is 68km from end to end and up to 10km in width; it is home to just over 10,000 inhabitants. Around the coast are dotted numerous picturesque beaches and bays.
- Hvar Town is an ideal base for exploring the Dalmatian Coast by boat, which is simple and inexpensive to do. Visit the nearby Pakleni islands – breathe in the essence of the Mediterranean. The Illyrians believed that these, largely uninhabited, islands possessed the power to restore the soul!
- There is a wealth of architecture, history and culture on your doorstep – the Cathedral of St. Stephan, the Franciscan Monastery, the Hecktorovic Palace, the Fortress etc.... the list goes on.
- Alternatively, one can take a tour of the backstreets which are full of interesting galleries and wacky clothes shops. The town is also host to some excellent restaurants and is alive with nightlife with cocktail bars and clubs aplenty.
The island gets incredibly busy during the peak summer months, so if you want to ensure your room in one of the best places to stay in Hvar, you'll need to book well in advance. Alternatively plan your visit for Spring or Autumn when there are less crowds, the sun is still warm and the prices tumble!
- The 59 room Adriana Hvar Spa Hotel is strikingly stylish, with a glass façade and roof top bar. Situated in a prime position on the yacht harbour, it is a boutique spa hotel with echoes of South Beach Miami.
For your Own private beach
- The 42 room Podstine Hotel is located in a beautiful bay surrounded by palms, cypress and hundred year old pines. It has a spa with outdoor pool, Finnish sauna and facilities for treatments, massages etc. There is an excellent seafood restaurant specializing in local wines – private tastings are available on request.
For the young and trendy
- The Riva Yacht Harbour Hotel is on Hvar's promenade and boasts beautiful views of the harbour. It is a hip hotel and very popular with young couples. Full of Hollywood glamour, it is a place to see and be seen.
- If you’d prefer a villa holiday, consider the Villa Meneghello on Hvar. It has just two apartments overlooking the ocean, with white washed walls splashed with colour. There’s a dining terrace, and you can arrange a chef by request, plus there’s a pool, bikes, table tennis and the beach is basically on your doorstep.
Off the beaten track
- For total seclusion, stunning views and excellent value for money book Palmizana. Just 10 mins by boat from Hvar, here you'll find an arty retreat with two restaurants serving fabulous Mediterranean cuisine.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com
- Hvar is easily accessible by boat taxi or ferry from Split airport. If you don't have your own craft...
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Hvar and you want to see more of the Dalmatian Coast, but don’t have a sail boat - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Summer has the nicest weather, but this is peak time for visiting the Dalmatian Coast and between the cruise ships and those restricted by school holidays, it’s pretty busy. So the best times for most of us to visit are May-June or September-October when the days are long and sunny, the sea is still warm enough to swim in, the attractions and restaurants are all open - but you don’t have to queue for them.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Dalmatian Coast,
- Or the best hotels on the Dalmatian Islands?
- Consider staying in Split?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hvar
Best Hotels in Hvar
Riva Yacht Harbour Hotel Hvar 56 rooms from £112City Style - A thriving spot with excellent food and lively after-dark DJs.Lively - A lively spot next to Carpe Diem.Outstanding location - Located on Hvar's pier.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - I Escape, Great Small Hotels , Michelin Travel
Hotel Podstine Hvar 42 rooms from £114Views - On the sea face the hotel has unrivalled oceanic views.Beach LifeSpa - Featuring gym, Finnish sauna, hot tub and wide range of treatments and massages.Tennis - There are courts just 10mins away on footRecommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
A charming hotel two bays away from Hvar Old Town. Located on the water's edge, a perfect sunbathing and diving spot. Beachy rooms and suites in vibrant colours with private balconies. Fabulous seafood restaurant, pool, and spa treatments. A super choice for a beach holiday. See More
Adriana Hvar Spa Hotel Hvar 59 rooms from £166Wellbeing - The hotel is designed for total pampering.Outstanding location - Fantastically located on the bay front.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
A fabulous spa hotel in a prime spot in Hvar overlooking the bay. Contemporary chic rooms and suites with all the mod cons and balconies. Top of the range spa, excellent Mediterranean cuisine and roof terrace restaurant, and close to all the attractions. Gourmet, pampering, romantic. See More
Palace Elisabeth Hvar 45 rooms from £246Outstanding location - Unbeatable location in the heart of historic Hvar, 100 metres from the port and walking distance to a luxurious beach clubHoneymoons - The hotel is romantic, sexy and indulgent with incredible sea views, making this perfect for a memorable honeymoonSights nearby - Hvar's Public Theatre and Arsenal, St. Stephen's Cathedral, St. Stephen's Square, Bishop's Palace and Fortica FortressViews - Great views from hotel
Luxurious and sophisticated palace hotel located in the heart of Hvar's old town. The hotel combines a rich history, sea views, opulent rooms and interiors, delicious cuisine and spoiling spa. Explore the sites, walk to the Beach Club, swim in the indoor pool or enjoy a cocktail on the terrace. See More
Amfora Hvar Grand Beach Resort Hvar 324 rooms from £246Families - Babysitting, Kid's Club, cacasding swimming pool, waterslides, game's room and wide range of activities will keep children happyBeach Life - The hotel is beach-facing with sea and island views. Bonj, Amfora, Hula Hula and Majerovica beaches are all within 400 metresLively - Hip and happening.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Families, groups and couples will all enjoy this beach resort located on the coast in Hvar. A wide range of bright and airy rooms and suites mean there is something for all budgets. As well as beach access, four restaurants, cascading pool and a range of activities, Hvar town is walking distance. See More
Villa Meneghello Hvar from £300Families - The ideal spot for families: shallow beaches, table tennis, bikes, cinema, chef on request.Views - Great views from hotelGroupsLocal markets - Croatian designers stocked in boutiques in Hvar town.Recommended by - I Escape
A dreamy villa, or two apartments, overlooking the sea front. Charming boutique rooms have white washed walls and splashes of colour. Kitchen and dining terrace, chef on request, pool, bikes, cinema, and beaches on its doorstep. Ideal for a family or groups of friends. 7 nights only peak season. See More
Little Green Bay Hvar 15 rooms from £312Hideaway - Set in a picturesque and secluded bay this is the ideal spot to get away from it all.Sights nearby - Visit the majestic St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Hvar Town.Sailing - Take a ride on the hotel's private speedboat.Views - Great views from hotel
A charming boutique hotel nestled in a quiet and secluded bay. Simply styled rooms are light and bright with whitewashed walls, contemporary art and lovely sea views. The terrace restaurant serves fine-dining French cuisine. A tranquil spot from which to explore the Dalmatian coast. See More
Maslina Resort Maslincia, Hvar 53 rooms from £346Families - As well as a plethora of activities for all ages, there are great accommodation options including spacious villas with poolsBarefoot Luxury - Earth-inspired rooms feature wooden decor, organic cottons and soft colour palette, complemented by breaktaking viewsOrganic food - Many of the produce comes from the hotel's 7,000 sqm Organic GardenKids Club - Take advantage of the kid's playroom, a fun educational programme including water elements, a climbing wall and daily activites
A beautiful family friendly resort set by a bay on Hvar Island. Interiors ooze authentic Mediterranean style, with plenty of boho-chic vibes. Think neutral colours, modern finishings and plenty of wooden accents. The restaurant serves Mediterranean dishes and there's an outstanding spa. Superb! See More