The 20 Best Hotels on the Dalmatian Coast, Croatia
The Dalmatian Coast is best known for its climate: Mediterranean on the coastline, but quickly changing to alpine just inland in mountains which roll right down to the sea in a particularly picturesque way. There are a number of lovely towns and cities lining the coast, many containing the best hotels on the Dalmatian Coast, and all of which seem to have their best side facing out to sea.
Northern Dalmatia stretches from the Kvarner Riviera to Split, including Zadar and Trogir. Split is the largest city in the region, so makes an easy base. The Old Town, built around a vast Roman palace, is exceptionally beautiful. Zadar is the other large town in the region, again with an impressive Old Town littered with Roman ruins, medieval churches and excellent museums. But Northern Dalmatia is probably better known for the scenery, with some breathtakingly lovely National Parks and some of the least built up islands along the Dalmatian Coast.
The southerly part of the Dalmatian Coast is where you'll see palm trees and olive groves along the ribbon of Adriatic blue, but the grey cliffs and peaks are still right behind the coast. This is also where you'll find Dubrovnik. A favourite of famous aesthete Elizabeth Taylor, Dubrovnik's sheltered, emerald harbour, 13th century walled town and its Stradun, said to be one of the world's most beautiful main streets, are endlessly enchanting. It sounds over the top, but you'll see...
Whether you fancy the north or the sounth, if you're going to visit during the busy summer months, the 20 best hotels on the Dalmatian Coast will get booked up well in advance. So either get organised and plan ahead, or come in the quieter months when this beautiful region is far less crowded!
For a romantic stay
- Hotel Adriatic Orebic is a wonderful adults-only hideaway on the Peljesac Peninsula. It offers just six spacious, luxurious rooms in a beautifully restored heritage building overlooking the sea. The waterfront restaurant is ideal for candlelit dinners (accompanied by wines from the owner's vineyard) and there's even a little private beach.
- The Villa Dubrovnik is certainly luxurious enough for Elizabeth Taylor. With private beach, private ocean view balconies, excellent Mediterranean restaurant and the possibility of having a hot tub on your balcony means it's probably luxurious enough for anyone!
- The Grand Villa Argentina is a stunning villa turned 127 room hotel positioned right on Dubrovnik’s waterfront. It’s has a private beach as well as a full service spa and three excellent restaurants, two pools and lush gardens.
- The Judita Palace is a gorgeous, romantic property near Diocletian's Mausoleum in Split's main square. Beautiful rooms have exposed stone walls and classic decor and some boast wonderful Old Town views.
For a boutique hotel
- Once a castle holiday home, now a 13 room boutique hotel, the Boutique Hotel Kazbek is on the bay of Lapad and has stunning rooms and suites benefitting from the castle’s original features. There’s also a fantastic restaurant and pool.
- The Almayer Art and Heritage Hotel is an historic property turned boutique hotel in the centre of Zadar. This chic spot has just nine rooms which are up to the minute modern, and you've easy access to both sea and sights!
The Best Waterfront Hotels on the Dalmatian Coast
- For a top notch stay on Trogir's waterfront, we recommend the Brown Beach House. Its 25 rooms and suites are light and bright, plus you'll find a huge pool and excellent Mediterranean restaurant.
- For a Dubrovnik property that's right on the sea, we'd recommend the Hotel Kompas. Slightly out of town, it's an ultra modern property with chic rooms, state of the art spa, plus choice of bars and restaurants.
- Traditional and elegant, the Hotel Bastion is just a few minutes from Zadar's old town and built into the city's ramparts. And with some of its traditionally elegant rooms sleeping up to four, this is also a great option for families.
- Just outside Zadar is the family friendly Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Iadera, a superb contemporary property with gorgeous ocean views, a state of the art spa and activities for all ages.
- The Stradun Apartments are a collection of boutique style apartments in Dubrovnik’s Old Town. Light and airy, with contemporary decor, each apartment sleeps up to four, and offers all the mod. cons. plus the measure of staying in a 17th century townhouse.
- Split’s Divota Apartment Hotel is a stylish collection of rooms, apartments and a three bedroom house, it is perfectly situated for exploring the city.
For an Escape!
- Just outside Trogir, the adults only Hotel Ola is a romantic treat with rejuvenating spa and epic sea views. Plus there's a good restaurant and activities aplenty.
- To the south of Dubrovnik, Cavtat is a good choice if you want to escape the crowds and have easy airport access. Villa Pattiera is a traditional property offering simple but spacious accommodation within walking distance of the beach.
Chic Hotels on the Dalmatian Coast
- Glass fronted, state of the art Hotel Bellevue has fresh and neutral interiors with spectacular views and an excellent spa.
- The Excelsior Hotel is situated a stone's throw from Dubrovnik's Old Town. It's a modern property with exceptional views both over the Adriatic and Dubrovnik's Old Town. Plus there's an excellent spa and seafront restaurant.
- The Hotel Vestibul Palace is situated in the heart of Split’s Diocletian Palace. Luxury combined with contemporary interiors located bang in the centre of the Old Town.
- Heritage Hotel 19 offers seven beautifully renovated rooms with plenty of original features, yet a fresh contemporary feel, right in the heart of Split.
- The Byron is a stunning property situated right beside Dubrovnik Cathedral. Its four rooms offer chic minimal decor that effortlessly blend period and contemporary features. All also provide little kitchenettes for those who'd prefer to stay in!
For a B&B
- St Joseph's is a gorgeous property set within the walls of Dubrovnik's Old Town. Luxurious rooms ooze elegance and sophistication - perfect for a romantic break.
- The Villa Allure of Dubrovnik is a stunning little guesthouse hotel with nine contemporary rooms with elegant decor and wonderful sea views from sprawling terraces. There is a pool and you’re only a short walk from the beach.
- Grgur Ninski Rooms is a smart B&B situated inside Split's Diocletian Palace. Rooms are a lovely mix of period and contemporary features and breakfast is served at a cafe down the road.
For great value
- Split’s Hotel Marmont is close to both the seafront and the heart of the Old Town. It boasts contemporary chic rooms encased in a beautiful 15th century shell, plus outside terrace and busy cocktail bar.
- The Amoret Apartments are a collection of traditional apartments located just five minutes walk from Buza Beach with wonderful views over Dubrovnik’s Old Town. Each apartment has a kitchenette, wi-fi and extra beds. From around £65 per night.
- Who says cheap accommodation has to be grotty? At Split’s Design Hostel Goli + Bosi you'll find a range of incredibly inexpensive yet stylish rooms. Plus a fantastic pizzeria! Prices start from just €20 per person if you're in one of the dorms.
- Split's Vida Boutique Hotel is also fantastic value. It offers a handful of individually designed rooms with prices starting from as little as €50 per night in low season.
If you haven't found your perfect property on our Guru's list of the Best Hotels on the Dalmatian Coast you could:
- Or consider our Gurus recommendations for the best places to stay in Dubrovnik? or on Hvar? or Split? or Zadar?
- Or you might want to consider the Best Hotels on the Dalmatian Islands?
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The 20 Best Hotels on the Dalmatian Coast
Hotel Adriatic Orebic Orebic 6 rooms from £82Romantic Break - With only six luxurious rooms, fab sea views, a great restaurant and no children allowed it's ideal for couplesBeach Life - With its sea views, waterfront restaurant and little private beach this is an intimate beach getawayLocal exploring - As well as exploring the immediate area, you are well placed for a quick hop over to KorculaRestaurant - The waterfront restaurant serves delicious dishes made from the freshest local seafood and organic produce
A beautifully restored seafront heritage hotel in the centre of Orebic. Six spacious individually designed rooms are a charming blend of original features and luxurious creature comforts. The Stari Kapetan restaurant comes highly recommended and there's even a little private beach. Adult only heaven See More
Villa Dubrovnik Dubrovnik 56 rooms from £115Views - Fabulous views over the Adriatic and of the old city.Families - 2 villas sleep 6 each.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach LifeRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A beautiful Five Star hotel crafted by local architects from the rock face in Dubrovnik. Designer rooms, suites, and villas are contemporary with sea facing balconies, some with private hot tubs. Excellent restaurant, pool, spa, private rocky beach, and lots of privacy. Romantic luxury. See More
Grand Villa Argentina Dubrovnik 127 rooms from £231Spa breaks - A full service garden-view spa.Views - Fabulous views from all angles.Foodies - Three excellent restaurants.Romantic Break
A stunning Dalmatian villa sits on the waterfront with breathtaking views, its own private beach, and a full service spa. Rooms and suites, slightly traditional, but very luxurious with private balconies. Three excellent restaurants, beauty salon, spa treatments, two pools, and picturesque gardens. See More
Almayer Art and Heritage Hotel 23000 Zadar 9 rooms from £83Beach Life - Located on a sea-port, swimming spots and sea views are endless plus ferries run from a nearby port to neighbouring islandsLocal exploring - A perfect location in the heart of Zadar means cathedrals, Roman forums, restaurants and nightlife is all on your doorstepSailing - Hop on one of the ferries that run from nearby ports and spend a day exploring the surrounding islandsSights nearby - Visit Zadar's famous sea-front art installations Greetings to the Sun and Sea Organ
This intimate hotel of just nine rooms is in a beautifully renovated 19th-century building. The classical exterior is juxtaposed with stylish, contemporary design. Chic rooms are decorated in earthy hues and feature polished concrete floors and large oil paintings. An undeniably cool spot. See More
Brown Beach House Trogir 25 rooms from £184Local exploring - Ideally placed on the coast and just a short distance from Trogir's medieval old town.Sailing - Charter a boat and explore the coastline stopping for swims along the way.Diving - Explore the numerous diving sites full of coral, sponge and sealife.Sights nearby - Visit the stunning UNESCO World Heritage Site, Trogir Cathedral.
A boutique hotel offering chic accommodation and glorious sea views. The rooms and suites are light and bright with pale wooden floors, large windows and luxurious marble bathrooms. The terrace restaurant serves up exemplary Mediterranean dishes and there's an enormous pool overlooking the sea. See More
Hotel Kompas Dubrovnik 173 rooms from £144Local exploring - Ideally placed for exploring the enchanting city of Dubrovnik and the stunning surrounding Dalmatian Coast.Beach Life - A romantic hotel in a sheltered bay on the Lapad peninsular, perfect for a seaside escape.Fishing - The hotel can organise sea fishing trips for guests.Sights nearby - Fifteen minutes bus ride from Dubrovnik old town.
A stylish ultra modern hotel, with a spectacular seaside positioning. Hotel Kompas offers guests a first-class staying experience from chic rooms, to superb vistas, atmospheric bars, an excellent restaurant and a deluxe spa. Perfect for simply relaxing or exploring Dubrovnik. See More
Hotel Bellevue, Dubrovnik Dubrovnik 77 rooms from £141Beach LifeFamiliesRestaurant - Fine dining restaurant and beach restaurantSights nearby - Easy walking distance of the Old TownRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Tablet, CN Traveller
State of the art glass hotel set in the cliff face in central Dubrovnik. Contemporary designer rooms, family suites, and suites have neutral tones, all the high techery and private balconies. Two restaurants, excellent spa, and immediate access to all the sights. A luxury spot, very family friendly. See More
Hotel Bastion Zadar 28 rooms from £108Sights nearby - Located on the peninsula close to all major attractionsLively - Zadar is know for its nightlife and bar sceneRestaurant - Serves Mediterranean cuisineLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Falkensteiner Hotel & Spa Iadera Zadar 110 rooms from £189Foodies - Dalmatian specialities in two restaurants.Spa breaks - A two floor state of the art spa.Families - Plenty of children's activities.Views - Great views from hotel
A fabulous contemporary spa hotel on the Petrcane peninsula. Panoramic ocean views, a state of the art spa covering two floors, fantastic Dalmatian cuisine, and charming nautical themed rooms and suites with all the mod cons. A sophisticated choice for a spa and beach holiday, family friendly too. See More
Judita Palace Hotel Split 8 rooms from £227Sights nearby - Diocletian’s Palace, Peristyle and Diocletian’s Mausoleum.Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Boutique Hotel Kazbek Dubrovnik 13 rooms from £185Sights nearby - Dubrovnik old city - take the cable car to the view point above Dubrovnik - a must!Short break - 30 mins from Dubrovnik airport- beautiful viewsTraditional - The summer house of a Croatian noble family.Sea Views - From the terrace of the marinaRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
The Byron Dubrovnik 4 rooms from £252Local exploring - This prime location in Dubrovnik's Old Town is a great choice for guests interested in discovering the city's many attractionsGreat walks - Walk the city walls- the easiest and most popular itinerary for visitors to Dubrovnik is the stroll around its fortificationsSights nearby - Of all the Old Town treasures, the Franciscan Monastery and its Old Pharmacy Museum are the real gemsLocal markets - The oldest market in Dubrovnik is located in the prominent, baroque square of Gundulićeva poljanaRecommended by - I Escape
A lovely 17th century guesthouse in the heart of the Old Town set just by the cathedral. Rooms are bright with chic minimal decor, an up-cycled feel and have little kitchenettes for self-catering. Hosts are hands-on and very welcoming, providing guests with indulgent breakfasts and top local tips! See More
Hotel Vestibul Palace Split 11 rooms from £233Local exploring - From Split you are able to explore the Croatian islands, such as Korcula, Hvar, Vis.Sights nearby - St Domnius Cathedral, ruins at Saloma, the capital of the Roman province of Dalmatia.Restaurant - Mediterranean cuisine with strong Dalmatian influences.TraditionalRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
A traditional Dalmatian house with chic minimal interiors in central Split. Rooms and suites have original stone walls, big sky lights, white walls, and sparse furnishings. Good Mediterranean restaurant and walking distance to all the attractions. A stylish spot for Split. See More
Heritage Hotel 19 Split 7 rooms from £142Local exploring - Ideally placed on a quiet cobblestreet just a short walk from the town's main attractions.Great walks - Take long walks through the cypress and Mediterranean pine tree forest just outside Split.Sights nearby - Wander through the Diocletian's Palace and view the St Domnius Cathedral.Full of character
A charming boutique property in the centre of historic Split. Beautifully renovated rooms keep their original charm yet have a fresh contemporary feel. Indulgent breakfasts are served in the lobby overlooking the courtyard which later turns into an honesty bar. A delightful base to explore the town. See More
Villa Pattiera Cavtat 12 rooms from £98Traditional - All rooms are furnished with antiques and have oak floors.Restaurant - Traditional Dalmation and Mediterranean specialitiesSights nearby - 40 mins to Dubrovnik by boat taxiSailing - Can be booked nearby.
A good choice for a less touristic holiday on the Dalmatian coastline. A traditional hotel in the town of Cavtat within striking distance of the beach. Simple, but very spacious, rooms have parquet floors and mahogany furnishings. A bit off the beaten track, but better value. See More
Stradun Apartments Dubrovnik from £87Families - Each apartment sleeps up to 4.Beach LifeHoneymoonsSailing - Take a boat to Elaphiti islands - Kolocep, Lopud or Sipan - for walking, swimming, sunbathing.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
A boutique collection of apartments in the Old Town. Light, airy, and contemporary decoration within a 17th century townhouse. Each suite has all the mod cons, including DVD players, and a kitchenette. A great option for a family or a couple for a summer beach holiday or a winter retreat. See More
Divota Apartment Hotel Split 24 rooms from £103Private Hot Tub - Book the three bed villa and get your own private terrace with hot tubSights nearby - Unesco-listed Diocletian's Palace, Cathedral of St. Duje.Sailing - Catch a boat to Hvar, Vis, or Pag.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Recommended by - I Escape
A renovated stone town house with a collection of contemporary chic rooms, studio apartments and one house. Interiors are all white with wooden floors, kitchens, sitting rooms and all the mod cons. Superb location in the thick of all the attractions. Stylish and family friendly. See More
St Joseph's Dubrovnik 6 rooms from £173Local exploring - Right in the heart the UNESCO-protected Walls of Old Town Dubrovnik, and only minutes from the Stradun Promenade.Romantic Break - An enchanting escape for two- the elegant and stylish suites are steeped in romance and history.Sights nearby - The old walls of Dubrovnik, Onofrio's Fountain and the Franciscan Monastery Dubrovnik are all with two minutes walk.Sailing - This hotel serves as a perfect stopping point on a sailing trip around the Dalmatian coast.Recommended by - I Escape, Great Small Hotels
A stunning 16th century guesthouse set within the walls of Dubrovnik's old town. The luxurious rooms are appointed with style and elegance, fittingly paying tribute to the city's rich culture and heritage. Surrounded by the old town's enchanting streets, it's the perfect place for a romantic break. See More
Hotel Ola Trogir (Seget Donji) 50 rooms from £126Beach Life - Located just a couple of hundred metres from the sea plus sea taxis are accessible to transport you to nearby secluded spotsRomantic Break - This adult-only hotel offers chic rooms with breathtaking sea-views, infinity pool and terraced diningActive Holiday - One-day sailing trips on the hotel's own boat can be arranged, as can hikes, biking and guided toursFoodies - Black Pepper restaurant offers a range of fresh, local ingredients as well as paleo diet recipes
A stylish adult-only hotel offering a rejuvenating retreat with spa, sauna and multitude of in-house treatments. Located on a beautiful stretch of Croatian coast, rooms boast breathtaking sea-views. This stunning ocean spot provides activities ranging from sailing to local village exploration. See More
Hotel Marmont Split 20 rooms from £116Historic - Mediterranean side streets and the Sveti Duje CathedralRomantic Break - Situated in the UNESCO-listed old town of SplitDesigner - Minimalist furniture and bathroomsSailing - Ultra SailingRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Design Hostel Goli + Bosi Split from £17Groups - Three and four person dorm-style rooms perfect for groups of friends.Contemporary - Superbly contemporary and minimal rooms all in white.Value chicTraditional - An old 19th century warehouse conversion.
Grgur Ninski Rooms Split (Dioklecijanova ul. 8) 4 rooms from £52Local exploring - Located within the Palace, it's in the heart of the Old Town with tourist attractions, restaurants and cafes around.Value chic - Great value for money considering its cool interiors and superb location inside a UNESCO world heritage monument.Writing a novel - Be inspired by all the history around you! Writing desks in rooms.Sights nearby - Gregory of Nin and the Cathedral of St. Domnius are both moments away from the hotel.
A chic bed and breakfast located inside Diocletian's Palace in Split. Rooms contrast old and new with exposed stone walls, minimalist white-on-white décor, and contemporary furnishings. Breakfast is served at a nearby cafe. The perfect place to soak up the city's history and architecture. See More
Villa Allure of Dubrovnik Dubrovnik 9 rooms from £173Views - Stuning views over the Mediterranean and Dubrovnik Old TownBeach LifeSights nearby - Close to Dubrovnik's historic old townSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Amoret Apartments Dubrovnik from £63Views - Stunning views over the Old Town.Value chicSights nearby - Dubrovnik's Old Town is a highlight.Kayaking - Adriatic Kayak Tours.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
Traditional apartments, excellent value, just a five minute walk from Buza beach. Apartments have kitchenettes, extra beds, wifi, and wonderful city views over the Old Town. Rooms are rather antique but offer unbeatable rates. Ideal for anyone on a budget, very convenient too. See More