Search the best hotels in Sibenik
Shining white against a backdrop of mountains and walled in by limestone rocks, Sibenik is a beautiful medieval city in Croatia. The oldest Croat-inhabited city in the country, its stony-faced labyrinthine streets and breathtaking historic sites make it the ideal destination for history-lovers. Lined by clean and pleasant beaches, and with access to the Krka National Park, Sibenik lies in an enviable location and has the benefit of being fairly unknown on the tourist map. Don't miss out! Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Sibenik to find out more.
Founded by the Croats in the 9th century, Sibenik has long been the object of imperial ambitions, wrestled over by the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, Venetian republic and Byzantines; indeed, the Venetians ruled Sibenik, along with much of the Dalmatian Coast, for the best part of 400 years. The architecture is a testament to this Venetian presence, whose untold wealth was poured into beautifying the city. The Cathedral of Saint Jacob is one such example: a UNESCO-listed site, it was constructed in the 15th century, and is a hodgepodge of various Renaissance styles, and is full of spellbinding mosaics and sculptures.
The Bunari wells, built in the fifteenth century to supply the town with water, have now become a museum, gallery and cafe and host many live music events. And don't forget to visit the St. Laurence’s monastery garden which has been recently restored. For gorgeous views, be sure to head to the Fortress of St. Michael, which boasts enchanting views of the Bay and town itself, from where you can scan your eyes over the red-tiled limestone houses, the ancient palaces of the aristocracy and the countless churches scattered about. The Church of Saint Barbara, a beautiful 15th century church, is well worth checking out, and now houses the Museum of Church Art.
What not to miss
- Enjoy the many beaches surrounding the town - aside from the Bay, they are clean and fun.
- Take a boat out to one of the nearby islands of Krapanj and Zlarin and buy some coral souvenirs.
- Explore the Cathedral of St. Jacob, a UNESCO-listed heritage site built in the 15th century.
- Walk around the beautiful medieval garden of the Monastery of St. Laurence.
- Drink in the breathtaking views from the Fortress of St. Michael.
- Trek through the Krka National Park, passed the waterfalls and archaeological remains.
Picturesque and steeped in history, Sibenik is the perfect place for history-lovers looking for an authentic Adriatic experience. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Sibenik to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Sibenik
For Chic Romance
- D Resort is an opulent and elegant hotel complex, situated just outside the medieval town. It offers uber stylish accommodation. Rooms and balconies enjoy breathtaking views and there are a range of restaurants and bars, plus a wonderful spa. For that ultimate treat take a sunset yacht tour from the private marina!
- Life Palace Heritage Hotel is set in a 15th century palace, offering cool and contemporary rooms marrying modern styles with Croatian heritage: think exposed stone walls, rustic furnishings and modern luxuries. There is a patisserie and a hot tub to enjoy. Absolutely divine!
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Split and get the airport shuttle bus to Sibenik, taking 1 hour approx.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the springtime - the summers in Croatia can reach highs of up to 35 degrees, while in the spring, it remains clement at an average of 19 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sibenik
D Resort 63 rooms from £114Sibenik (Šibenik)
An opulent and elegant resort, just outside the medieval port town of Šibenik. Chic contemporary suites boast private balconies, original artworks and stunning views of the coast. With a range of restaurants and bars, an extensive spa and a private marina, they have everything covered.Total relaxation - Spend a relaxing few days being pampered and preened in this opulent resort with excellent services, spa and gardens.Romantic Break - A luxury retreat for two, with a range of romantic dining and drinking options, and private sunset yacht tours.Sights nearby - History buffs should head down to Šibenik town to see the medieval architecture and splendid Unesco-listed Cathedral.Great walks - Take a stroll through the national parkland, olive groves, and vineyards.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels , Tablet
Life Palace Heritage Hotel 17 rooms from £126Sibenik
This beautiful heritage hotel sits within 15th-century Palace Marenci, on the edge of a lively town square. Rooms pay tribute to the building's history with soft, traditional décor and exposed stone walls. Take a dip in the hotel hot tub or relax with a coffee at the patisserie. A charming getaway.City Style - Explore Šibenik's historic buildings from this hotel's excellent location in the town centreRomantic Break - Couples love the location of this hotel, sitting on the edge of a picturesque town squareHoneymoons - Book the Executive Suite for a plush and romantic honeymoon experienceSights nearby - Visit the 15th-century stone Cathedral of St. James, decorated with 71 sculpted faces