Search the best hotels in Amboise
Just ninety minutes from Paris on the TGV, Amboise is a popular pick for a long weekend in the glorious Loire Valley. Home to the famous Château d'Amboise, the town also hosts a superb weekend market, and is surrounded by beautiful châteaux and vineyards. Catering to a trendy Parisian crowd, as well as couples and families from further afield, accommodation options are wide-ranging: you can expect everything from townhouse B&Bs to luxurious châteaux-turned-hotels. Many of the best places to stay in Amboise are within a short distance of the town centre, making on-foot explorations a breeze, but our picks also include lovely rural hideaways for those dreaming of a tranquil French escape.
A charming market town, Amboise sits between the Château d'Amboise and the Loire River. Expect delightful eateries, buzzing farmers’ and flea markets at weekends, and lots of quirky boutiques to peruse as you stroll along meandering streets. The town has an appealingly trendy feel, and an especially lively vibe during the weekends, when it’s worth booking your table for dinner (and your accommodation) in advance.
The Château d'Amboise is one of the Loire's best-known. Originally built to serve as a fortress, the château was used as a weekend retreat, until it became the 15th-century home, of King Charles VIII. Reputedly boasting France’s first formal gardens, the imposing Italianate residence is also the final resting place of Leonardo da Vinci. Le Clos Lucé, the nearby manor where da Vinci lived, is also open for fascinating tours.
Don’t miss vineyard tours and tastings, or catching a glimpse of the whimsical Pagode de Chanteloup and the Parc Mini-Châteaux, an amusing collection of scale models of the Loire’s famed historic buildings. Outdoorsy travellers will find ample opportunities to try cycling, horse riding and hiking. The ultimate adventure is a striking hot air balloon ride over the Loire Valley!
Close to Tours and within easy reach of the Loire Valley’s many treasures, the best places to stay in Amboise are the perfect base for discovering the region.
The Best Places to Stay in Amboise
For a Central Stay
- Le Clos d'Amboise is a beautiful 17th-century château alongside the Château d'Amboise. A sensitive restoration has yielded expansive rooms with period furnishings, a swimming pool, gourmet eatery and extensive gardens. Well-located for exploring Amboise and also offering wine tastings. For couples or families.
- Le Pavillon des Lys is a superb sandstone manor house close to the Château d'Amboise. Expect eight elegant rooms — some with huge private terraces — and delicious breakfasts. Ideal for romantic couples and in-town explorers.
- Le Manoir les Minimes is right on the Loire River in old Amboise. Pick this place for the stunning location and sophisticated interiors, which fuse classic charm with all the mod-cons. Breakfasts are a highlight! A real treat.
For a Rural Escape
- Château de Nazelles is a charming 16th-century residence surrounded by vineyards, perfect for a romantic getaway or a fun family trip. Understated rooms and cottages feature exposed stone walls, contemporary furnishings and original beams. The pool and three hectares of gardens will be a big hit with the kids, and the largest self-catering cottage sleeps up to five people.
- Château de Perreux offers a quiet escape for families, groups or couples in tranquil surroundings. Particular highlights include the seasonal fare at the table d'hôtes, and the spacious family suites, with a classic, pared-back elegance.
- Le Fleuray is an ivy-clad country house hotel with a top-notch restaurant. Families will love the big suites (some with space for up to six), the relaxed atmosphere and the pool, whilst golfers will find themselves right next door to a great course. In the countryside north of Amboise.
- Château des Arpentis promises a peaceful, secluded stay in 30 hectares of gardens within easy reach of Amboise. The château boasts a fascinating history, as well as twelve luxurious rooms with attractive original features. A laid-back B&B for quiet couples, friends or families in a striking building.
- Château de Pray dates back to the 13th Century. The impressive building is now home to 19 rooms and suites, a stunning collection of antiques, and a gorgeous Michelin-starred restaurant. Chef Arnaud Philippon crafts punchy dishes in an unusual restaurant space carved into the rock. One for foodies and history buffs.
- Le Choiseul sits in a picturesque riverside spot in Amboise, and is well-suited to families or couples looking to explore the town. Rooms and suites feature patterned wallpaper and joyful pops of colour. Savour gourmet fare in 'Restaurant Le 36', under expert Chef Hervé Lussault, who specialises in adding an exotic twist to traditional fare. Book a table overlooking the Loire!
For Boutique Luxury
- Domaine les Hauts de Loire is an enchanting former hunting lodge-turned-boutique-hotel in Onzain, between Amboise and Blois. The ivy-covered house features pretty bedrooms with floral wallpaper, as well as a two-Michelin-starred restaurant headed by Chef Rémy Giraud. An indulgent French escape for families, friends or couples. Also a foodie favourite.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tours Val de Loire Airport, located 24km from Amboise. You can then travel to your hotel by bus, train or car. There are also regular 90-minute trains from Paris to Amboise.
- The Loire Valley is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- You can expect the warmest weather between June and September. For a quieter trip and great hotel deals, come in the spring (April - May).
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Tours.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Loire Valley.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Amboise
Best Hotels in Amboise
Le Clos d'Amboise Amboise 20 rooms from £90Fishing - For zander, bream, perch, catfish and carp in the Loire river.Sights nearby - Visit the Amboise Royal Château, a former royal residence.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Sitting alongside the Royal Castle is this 17th century chateau. Having been renovated in 2011 all efforts have been made to maintain its original charm. Rooms are decorated with antique French pieces; some have balconies. There is a pool, extensive gardens, gourmet restaurant and wine tasting. See More
Le Fleuray Amboise, Loire Valley 20 rooms from £85FamiliesSights nearby - Borrow one of the free bikes and explore the area on two wheelsSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated pool available from spring to autumnRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Picturesque country hotel with an excellent restaurant. A variety of charming rooms from bedroom, to family suite, to suite, sleeping as many as six. Swimming pool, hot tub, and massage too. A great spot for families, groups of friends, and avid golfers - the course is next door! See More
Chateau de Pray Amboise, Loire Valley 17 rooms from £110Foodies - Chef Frédéric Brisset's Michelin-starred restaurantGarden - 12 acres of gardenSights nearby - Castle of Chenonceau, Da Vinci House and Chambord CastleViews - Loire RiverRecommended by - Fodors
Le Manoir les Minimes Amboise, Loire Valley 13 rooms from £110Wine tasting - Loire valley vinyards nearbyRiverside - Situated on the Loire RiverSights nearby - Chateau d'Amboise, Clos-Luce, Mini-Chateaux Park, Pagoda of ChanteloupRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Fodors
Chateau des Arpentis Loire Valley 12 rooms from £104Sights nearby - Few kilometers from the Chateau Renaissance d’AmboiseArchitectural - The chateau was renovated in 2008CastleWine tasting
Le Pavillon des Lys Amboise, Loire Valley 8 rooms from £128Sights nearby - Right next door to Amboise chateau and ideally placed for exploring the sights of the Loire ValleyKayaking - On the rivers Loire and CherLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Fodors
Le Choiseul Amboise, Loire Valley 32 rooms from £151Country House - The chateau accommodation is spread across 5 housesArchitectural - A beautiful 18th century building.Wine tasting - Loire valley vinyards in vicinityRiverside - Loire riversideRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A stunning chateau in the Loire valley. Rooms are light and traditionally styled with toile de jouy wallpaper. Restaurant dining room overlooking the River Loire. Wine tasting, ballooning and chateaux on the doorstep. A romantic and relaxed choice for couples or families. See More
Chateau de Nazelles Amboise (Nazelles-Négron) 5 rooms from £139Local exploring - Perfectly situated to see the Loire's chateaus, wine caves and boat trips on the river, all with this very chic baseSights nearby - Day trip to nearby AmboiseKayaking - Kayaks rides on the LoireCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Perreux Amboise (Loire Valley) 11 rooms from £143Local exploring - Situated in Nazelles-Négron, at the heart of the Loire Valley, this is the perfect base for exploring this UNESCO heritage area.Total relaxation - Plush rooms, great pool surrounded by lovely gardens and forests, plus awrd winning cuisine and roaring fires.Kayaking - Grab a kayak and head off to explore the Loire, admire the lovely villages, chateaus and countryside.Great walks - There are lovely walks through the property's manicured gardens and wooded parklands.
An elegant Chateau dating back to the 1700s offering a quiet escape in peaceful surroundings. Tasteful bedrooms that combine contemporary comfort with the unique Chateau style. The in house chef focuses on locally sourced, seasonal produce. An outdoor pool is reached by a secret underground passage. See More
Domaine des Hauts de Loire Onzain, Loire Valley 31 rooms from £208Families - Not only are there activities galore here, but during school holidays they also run a kids clubFoodies - The restaurant has two Michelin starsRestaurant - Run by well-known French chef Remy GiraudGreat walks - 3 walking trails on the estateRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Classic luxury in a 19th century former hunting lodge and a two Michelin starred chef, plus happy and charming staff! Rooms and suites are traditionally dressed and luxuriously appointed with beautiful linen and Clarins smellies. Plus there's a pool, tennis & petanque. Simply wonderful! See More