Search the best hotels in Autun
Once a bustling Roman city of up to 100,000 people, Autun now only has a population of 15,000 but that certainly hasn't diminished the charm of this Burgundy town. There is still plenty of evidence of its Roman origins making it fascinating from a historical perspective and the small size ensures that most of the top sights are easily accessible from the best places to stay in Autun. There's also a great selection of restaurants and bars for visitors to sample the fabulous local cuisine in beautiful surroundings.
What Not To Miss
- The Roman Amphitheatre remains are indicative of the size of the town historically. Once considered amongst the largest theatres in Europe, it had a capacity of approximately 20,000 people and it is still easy to imagine thousands of people watching shows in ancient times.
- Continuing on the Roman theme, the Cathedrale St-Lazare has strong Roman architectural influences, featuring numerous intricate carvings that will captivate visitors. There are a number of restaurants surrounding the Cathedral which make it a great place for a spot of people-watching.
- To find out more about the history of the area, visit the Musee Rolin featuring numerous artefacts and art works giving a fascinating glimpse into the rich cultural heritage of the town.
- For something a bit different, take a stroll to the Briscou Cascade - an impressive waterfall located in a delightful country setting. It's a great chance to get out of the town and experience the region's natural assets.
- A visit to the Burgundy region wouldn't be complete without sampling some of its world-famous local produce. There's numerous vineyards across the region and visitors will be able to find out more about the historic process along with sampling some of the local vintages.
It's understandable that Autun is one of the most popular towns to visit in the region given the wide array of impressive and historic sights, blended with the quaint charm typical of many towns in the area. Autun makes a great base for exploring the famous Burgundy region and our selection of the best places to stay in Autun afford visitors the chance to unwind and explore everything the town has to offer.
The best places to stay in Autun
For rustic relaxation
- Moulin Renaudiots is a beautiful country house with gorgeous rooms and an excellent table d'hote. Contemporary comforts and classic-chic design combine for sophisticated effect. Wooden beams, stand alone bath tubs, subtle lighting and huge comfy beds.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a great selection of centrally-located properties perfect for exploring everything Autun has to offer.
- Fly to Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport located 128 miles (206km) from Autun with direct flights across Europe and to the UK.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the town and wonderful Burgundy region, visit our partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - either the summer months from June to August for hot weather, or visit in Autumn from September to November when the weather is cooler and the vineyards are colourful.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our selection of the best places to stay in Autun.
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in the Burgundy region.
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Autun
Best Hotels in Autun
Moulin Renaudiots Autun 5 rooms from £121Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.BoutiqueRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith