Search the best hotels in Cluny
Perched northeast of Macon, in the sweeping green heart of Burgundy, lies the charming and picturesque town of Cluny. Founded by Benedictine friars in the 10th century, it is home to one of France's most important religious sites, Cluny Abbey, whose cloisters, murals and intricate carvings attract throngs of tourists every year. Its church, the Basiica of St. Peter and St. Paul, was once the largest in the Western world, before the consecration of St. Peter's in Rome, and though much of it lies in ruin, there is still plenty to explore. The streets are old and beautiful, lined with small independent shops, and the town is also the home of Haras National, France's national centre for breeding and training horses. The ideal place for history-lovers and culture vultures, our pick of the best places to stay in Cluny are perfectly located to access all of its highlights.
What not to miss
- Explore Cluny Abbey, a cloistered and muraled Benedictine monastery founded in 910, and one of France's most important religious sites.
- Visit the Museum of Archaeology and Art, which is included in the price of your abbey ticket.
- Browse the stalls of the Saturday market.
- Book a guided tour around Haras National.
- Head 14km out of town to the Chateau de Cormatin, a 17th century Renaissance-style country house.
- Don't forget that you're in the heart of wine country, so there are plenty of opportunites for vineyard visits and tastings!
Burgundy is a busy region in the peak summer months, so if you want to be sure of a room in one of the best places to stay in Cluny in July or August, we recommend you plan well ahead.
The best places to stay in Cluny
- Le Potin Gourmand: a charming former pottery offering quirky and contemporary rooms that occasionally host art exhibitions. With a restaurant serving the best of regional cuisine, a beautiful garden terrace and miles and miles of countryside to explore, it's ideal for families looking for authenticity.
For a chic base
- Maison Tandem is a smart guest house in the centre of Cluny. Its four rooms are individually designed, and contemporary decor sits beautifully beside period features. Plus there's a lovely garden with outdoor pool for lazy days.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to visit is during the summer, when the temperature averages at around 24 degrees celsius.
- Fly to Lyon-Saint-Exupery International Airport, and get a train to Cluny-Ville-Porte-Paris, a roughly 1.5 hour journey.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cluny
Maison Tandem 4 rooms from £86Cluny
A warm and inviting family-run guest-house in Cluny. All four guest rooms are spacious with wooden floors and private bathrooms. Room four has a balcony with a view overlooking the luscious garden with a seasonal outdoor pool. A range of great restaurants are within walking distance.Families - Maison Tandem has children's games, a playground and large rooms suitable for families as well as an outdoor pool with toysLocal exploring - Cluny has plenty of rich cultural and natural offerings from art galleries to 12th century architecture to idyllic lakesSights nearby - Nestled a short walk from the centre of Cluny, the towns of Mâcon and Tournus are also a short drive awayGreat walks - There are some beautiful walks in the surrounding region - don't miss Lac de Saint Point
Le Potin Gourmand 12 rooms from £95Cluny
This charming former pottery factory offers a convivial atmosphere complete with a cosy dining room and warm garden terrace during the summer months. Rooms are querky and contemporary whilst the lounge occasionally hosts art exhibitions. The restaurant serves authentic regional cuisine.Families - With spacious family rooms, board games and free breakfast for children under 6, this is the perfect property for familiesSpa breaks - A fully-equipped spa complete with hammam offers a range of massage therapies in this charming settingLocal exploring - Discover the artistic and cultural delights of Cluny - from galleries to 12th century architectureSights nearby - Explore the traditional architecture of this quaint French town - start with Cluny Abbey and Cluny gardens