Search the best hotels in Auxerre
The charming riverside town of Auxerre traces its origins back to Roman times when it blossomed and became a provincial capital. Much of these historic roots are still visible today. It's still every inch the postcard-worthy town featuring grand architecture set back from the river linked by elegant arching bridges. Upon strolling through the maze of historic streets, visitors will find themselves surrounded by colourful historic timber-clad buildings containing delightful local shops and cafes and the best places to stay in Auxerre provide a great base for visitors to explore these. Set against the towering classical spires, there is an un-missable ancient fairytale feel to the town epitomised by the magnificent cathedral and abbey.
Visitors to Auxerre will undoubtedly enjoy the impressive town, but the surrounding Burgundy countryside is equally gorgeous featuring everything from vineyards to breathtaking Chateaux and the best places to stay in Auxerre are well-positioned to make the most of both of these.
What Not To Miss
- Epitomising the historic beauty of Auxerre, a visit to the clock tower is a must-do. Set amongst charming buildings and cobbled streets - the clock is especially elegant and the lighting at night is magical.
- One of the most prominent features of the town is the Abbaye de Saint-Germain d'Auxerre, an historic abbey looming over the town and forming a prominent part of the skyline. Inside, visitors can explore the crypt and see a variety of archaeological digs.
- Equally majestic inside and out, the Cathedrale Saint-Etienne shouldn't be missed. Set just back from the river, the enormous cathedral contains beautiful stained-glass windows and towering columns along with historic pieces of artwork.
- Take a tour of the Les Caves Bailly Lapierre - the town's wine caves containing numerous bottles of wine from 71 different wine growers. The caves are kept at a cool temperature and feature various intricate carvings making it an unique experience.
- Alternatively, for an even more in-depth wine experience, visit one of the region's vineyards to learn more about the winemaking process and to sample some of the best of the local vintage.
Whatever the reason for your visit to Auxerre, our guru's recommendations of the best places to stay in Auxerre will cater to holidays of all types and allow visitors to completely unwind.
The best places to stay in Auxerre
- Ideal for relaxing, the luxurious Chateau de la Resle is a stunning chateau in Burgundy filled with contemporary works of art. Beautiful classic rooms and suites with elegant furnishings and all the mod cons. Sophisticated living areas, an excellent 'table d'hotes' restaurant, spa and pool. An idyllic spot to explore the region from.
For rural elegance
- Le Petit Manoir des Bruyeres is a beautiful Burgundian house with eccentricity akin to Hansel and Gretel. Wooden-beamed ceilings, tapestry chairs, carved fireplaces and velvetine fabrics. There's an excellent Table d'hôtes. Great for a weekend in Burgundy.
For great value
- Le Puits d'athie is a charming 18th century Burgundian mansion cum guesthouse close to Auxerre. Beautiful rooms and suites have white washed walls, wooden floors and boutique furnishings. Featuring a pretty flower garden, terrace and great regional dishes. Great for a quiet and authentic country weekend in Burgundy.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a great selection of centrally-located properties ideal for exploring the town.
- Fly to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport located 191km (118 miles) from Auxerre with a wide selection of International flights.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Auxerre with regular rail links to Dijon and Paris.
- If you want to explore the beautiful region further, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to August for warm weather, alternatively visit between September and November for cooler temperatures and beautiful autumn colours.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our selection of the best places to stay in Auxerre.
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in Dijon or Paris
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Auxerre
Best Hotels in Auxerre
Le Puits d'athie Auxerre (Appoigny) 4 rooms from £69Country Escape - Very quiet location, pretty gardens, local walks and eateriesSights nearby - 10km from AuxerreGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A charming 18th century Burgundian mansion come guesthouse close to Auxerre. Beautiful rooms and suites have white washed walls, wooden floors and boutique furnishings. A pretty flower garden, terrace and great regional dishes. Great for a quiet and authentic country weekend in Burgundy. See More
Le Petit Manoir des Bruyeres Auxerre 2 rooms from £130TraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de la Resle Auxerre (Rue des Buttes) 6 rooms from £218Foodies - Le Jardin Gourmand is a fine dining restaurant.Views - Stunning views of Montigny la Resle.LuxuryElegantRecommended by - Design Hotels
A stunning chateau in Burgundy filled with contemporary works of art. Beautiful classic rooms and suites with elegant furnishings and all the mod cons. Sophisticated living areas, excellent 'table d'hotes' restaurant, spa and pool. An idyllic spot to explore the region from, and in high style. See More