Search the best hotels in Barneville Carteret
About Barneville Carteret
Two seaside resort towns merged into one, the Barneville section was originally the bit on the hill and Carteret the port bit - right opposite the island of Jersey. Our pick of the best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret are mainly situated close to the beach and port.
Barneville dates back to the Middle Ages, so there are some interesting medieval ruins about town, including the old protecting walls and a motte-and-bailey castle behind the church on the hill. The other fortifications you'll see are those of the German Atlantic Wall, built in 1940.
During the Belle Epoque, when seaside holidays really came into vogue, Barneville and Carteret became bustling resort towns. In part because of beautiful Barneville beach - now a Blue Flag beach - and pretty fishing port. They were officially joined in 1965.
The Saturday market is in old Barneville, and this is also where you can find the city's main shops and services.
What Not To Miss
- As well as being an easy place to visit the Channel Islands from, Barneville-Carteret is also close to the wonderful cliffs of Cap de Carteret. On a clear day you can see the islands of Sark and Jersey from this beautiful, natural spot.
- For something a bit different, a visit to La Maison du Biscuit should not be missed. This traditional biscuit factory dates back five-generations and the local delicacies there are worth the trip!
- Enjoy the gorgeous beach, perfect for unwinding and soaking up some summer sun.
- Alternatively, hop on the Train Touristique du Cotentin, a vintage train travelling through the region, complete with an informative tour guide providing visitors with fascinating information about the area.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret are really charming properties that will suit a diverse range of holidays and allow guests to make the most of the coast.
The best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret
- The Hotel Restaurant Les Ormes is one of the best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret if you're looking for a property with charm. Ivy covered and decorated with a chic farmhouse style, Hotel des Ormes is supremely comfortable. It's also got an excellent restaurant, and with a Michelin starred restaurant only a short stroll away, this has to be one of the best hotels in Barneville-Carteret for foodies.
- La Marine is a bright hotel overlooking the bay. Contemporary rooms feature modern bathrooms, subtle colour schemes, most with gorgeous sea views, and a few with private balconies. Excellent Michelin starred seafood cuisine, terrace, and bar. A relaxing spot, great for couples and local exploring.
- If you're bringing your family, the Hotel des Isles is a great option. Scandinavian in style, this beach house has wonderful sea views from its generous decks, plus a pool and big-windowed restaurant. If you're interested in fishing this is also a good choice: they have plenty of gear you can borrow.
For the location
- Chateau du Rozel stands tall beside several charming cottages. The rooms within the Chateau are tastefully decorated with lovely attention to detail. The cottages have their own facilities, some with views out to sea. All perfectly situated in a great location 5 minutes from the coast. Delightful!
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a quaint selection of properties to suit holidays of all types.
- Fly to Caen Airport located 114km (70 miles) from Barneville-Carteret. It receives a number of direct flights from across Europe.
- Alternatively, if you want to rent a car to explore the lovely coastline, visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to September for warm weather, ideal for making the most of the beach and coastline.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Barneville-Carteret,
- Expand your search to include our recommendations Jersey or Caen
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Barneville Carteret
Best Hotels in Barneville Carteret
Hotel des Isles Barneville Carteret 31 rooms from £95Views - Views over either the English Channel or Cape CarteretFishing - Fishing equipment may be borrowed from the hotelSwimming Pool - Heated Outdoor poolSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
La Marine Barneville Carteret 28 rooms from £102Foodies - Michelin star food from an acclaimed chef.Sights nearby - Boat trips to the Channel Islands of Jersey and GuernseySailing - Aboard the Long John Silver.Views - Great views from hotel
A bright hotel overlooking the bay. Contemporary rooms feature modern bathrooms, subtle colour schemes, most with gorgeous sea views, and a few with private balconies. Excellent Michelin starred seafood cuisine, terrace, and bar. A relaxing spot, great for couples and local exploring. See More
Hotel Restaurant Les Ormes Barneville Carteret 12 rooms from £131Local exploring - A tranquil coastal property ideally located to explore Normandy's countrside and attractions.Great walks - Embark on long walks through the picturesque Cotentin marshlands and woodlands.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Normandy landing beaches and Mont Saint Michel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
A charming coastal property set in a tranquil spot. Individually styled rooms are traditionally dressed with floor to ceiling sash windows, intricately carved white furniture and well placed artworks. A fine dining restaurant serves French cuisine with a modern twist and is worthy of a visit alone. See More