- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Bayonne
Bayonne is a city in the Nouvelle Aquitaine region of South West France, and it has long been the economic and cultural capital of the area. The best places to stay in Bayonne provide an ideal base from which to discover all that this part of France has to offer.
Bayonne lies close to the Spanish border in the foothills of the Pyrenees. The town has Roman origins, was under English rule from the twelfth to the fifteenth centuries and grew to become a major port and centre for trade during the eighteenth century. These influences remain, although the advent of the railway in 1854 and the lure of the Atlantic beaches at Biarritz have made Bayonne far more of a holiday destination.
There is much for the visitor to enjoy. The city has a rich historic past with both Basque and Gascon themes, and there is wonderful architecture to admire, fascinating museums and gastronomic delights galore. Those of a more energetic disposition can take advantage of the free bicycles that the city provides and explore the network of cycle paths along the left banks of both the Nive and Adour rivers.
What not to miss
- Twelfth century gothic Cathedrale Sainte-Marie with its charming cloisters.
- Chateaux Vieux - originally the governor’s house.
- Musee Basque - one of the finest in France.
- Musee Bonnat - a very large collection of the local artist’s work but also paintings by Degas and El Greco (among others).
- Botanic Gardens.
- Basque half timbered houses lining the river Nive.
Don't forget that this is a very busy destination during the peak summer months. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Bayonne you'll either need to book well ahead or else plan to come during the quieter months.
The best places to stay in Bayonne
For Good Value
- La Villa Hotel is an elegant white house a mere fifteen minute walk from the historic city centre, with ten classically decorated bedrooms. The hotel sits up on a hill with views over the river, and breakfast is served on a terrace overlooking secluded gardens. Family rooms are available.
For an apartment or villa
- If you are travelling in a group or with the whole family, then you might prefer a self catering option. For a wide range of accommodation for all budgets, we recommend you check the properties on Booking.com.
- Bayonne is easily accessible by road (A63 Bordeaux to Spain/ A64 Toulouse), rail (via TGV) or by plane to the international airport at Biarritz.
- The city has a typically Atlantic climate (which means that it can be wet), but during the summer months the weather is generally warm and sunny with average daily highs of around 23 degrees celcius.
- If wish to hire a car to see more of the surrounding area, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Bayonne
La Villa Hotel 10 rooms from £66Bayonne
An elegant white painted house a near the historic centre. Ten classic-contemporary bedrooms decorated in soft pastels. Breakfast on a lovely Italian-esque terrace overlooking secluded gardens. A tranquil spot on a hill above the Nive.Local exploring - Just a 15 minute walk into the historic town of Bayonne. Well positioned to explore the Basque country.Less £ - You can book this property for as little as €80 per night.Families - Family friendly rooms which can sleep up to four.Sights nearby - Visit the d Château Vieux castle in Bayonne.