Search the best hotels in Bonnieux
A small village that tumbles down the side of a hill, Bonnieux may be less developed for tourism than other Provencal towns, but therein lies its charm: authentic, dusty, old, it is a labyrinthine sprawl of cobbled winding alleyways and passages, lined with independent shops and cute cafes. Crowning the hill with spellbinding panoramic views of the fields of Luberon, stands a small 12th century church, while at the bottom of the hill, the newer church holds some beautiful 16th century oil paintings. A great place for couples and families alike, this is a truly hidden gem of Provence, complete with a Friday market, ruined 12th century ramparts, a museum and a two thousand year old Roman bridge lying out-of-town. Whether you're cycling through the nearby cedar forest, learning about bread-making at the Boulangerie Museum or marvelling at the 425m high church tower, you will feel submerged in the beauty of Provence. Our pick of the best places to stay in Bonnieux offer a choice of either rural retreat or smart B&B in the centre of town.
What not to miss
- Marvel at the 16th century oil paintings held in the lower church.
- Head northeast, towards Pont Julien, a stone bridge with three arches built for Julius Caesar.
- Hire some bikes and journey through the cedar forest, down the marked botanical trails.
- Visit the Boulangerie Museum and learn about the history of breadmaking.
- Walk along the 13th century ramparts, and lose yourelf in the pretty streets and passageways.
- Browse the Friday morning market.
- Explore the 13th century Romanesque-Gothic church crowning the hill!
Picturesque, authentic and charming, Bonnieux is the ideal holiday destination for those who want to see the real Provence. However it's always busy during the peak summer months, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Bonnieux during July or August, you'll need to book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Bonnieux
For a central location
- Les Clos du Buis: a beautiful farmhouse offering colourful cottage-style rooms, suites and apartments marrying traditional decor with a chic regard for furnishing, all with gorgeous terraced views. Guests can enjoy cooking classes, tennis and lounging by the swimming pool.
- La Bastide de Capelongue: a gorgeous countryside hotel, offering some rooms decorated in a traditional Provencal style, others with more modern features. There is an outdoor pool, terrace and an outstanding two Michelin starred restaurant serving French cuisine.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to visit is during the summer, when the temperature can reach highs of 29 degrees celcius.
- Fly to Marseille, and get a train to Aix-en-Provence, from where you can get a taxi to Bonnieux. The journey is 50 miles.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Check out our recommendations in nearby Gordes or Isle sur la Sorgue,
- expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Provence
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Bonnieux
Best Hotels in Bonnieux
Le Clos du Buis Bonnieux 8 rooms from £95Value chicFamiliesGroupsCooking classes - Available on requestRecommended by - Sawdays
An attractive farmhouse-style property in a hilltop village. Varying accommodation - rooms, suites, and self-catering apartments - all in cottage style are perfect for couples, friends and families. Terraces with stunning views of the valley and gardens. Excellent value too. See More
Maison Valvert Bonnieux 5 rooms from £148Country Escape - A beautiful and secluded country house, complete with swimming pool, offering direct access to gorgeous Provencial countrysideRomantic Break - The Treehouse room offers privacy to couples on a romantic breakGreat walks - Take long walks through picturesque vineyards and countryside starting straight from the hotel's front doorSights nearby - The renowned and historical villages of villages as Lourmarin, Gordes and Ménerbes are a short drive away
A chic country house B&B set in a beautiful and secluded spot dotted with cherry and olive trees. Four lovingly restored rooms are the epitome of rural chic with exposed stone, crisp white linen and doors opening onto the garden. The treehouse room is ideal for couples on a romantic break. Superb! See More
Les Terrasses du Luberon Bonnieux (Provence) 5 rooms from £156Country Escape - Set in a traditional Provençal house with views over bucolic Bonnieux, this hotel makes an idyllic escape to the countryLocal exploring - Bonnieux is a good base for local exploring in Provence; head out after breakfast to visit the renowned regional marketsHideaway - With a secret garden and pool exclusively for the use of guests, this hotel makes a great hideaway holiday destinationLocal markets - On Sundays, head to the Coustellet Market at Isle sur la Sorgue, a beautiful neighbouring town
A charming country B&B on the outskirts of a medieval village and set within a verdant garden. The five bright, airy guestrooms have a clean and contemporary feel and stunning views. Enjoy breakfast on the sunny terrace before exploring the sights of Provence, or simply relax by the outdoor pool. See More
Le Clos Les Eydins Bonnieux (Provence) 6 rooms from £156Country Escape - Set in a former farmhouse in the rolling lavender fields of Provence, this hotel makes an authentic escape to the countryHideaway - With a chic outdoor pool and charming country kitchen at guests' disposable, this hotel makes a great hideaway holidayRomantic Break - Couples love the idyllic location of this B&B and the friendly, attentive hosts; explore the area on a romantic walkGreat walks - Explore the beautiful natural landscape of the region on a long walk; head to the Cedar Forest for an enchanting shaded route
This B&B is nestled in Bonnieux, an idyllic village surrounded by lavender fields in the heart of Provence. Sitting in a fairytale garden with a pool, the heritage property offers elegant suites and a sitting room set under original beams with a cosy fireplace - the perfect escape to the country. See More
La Bastide de Capelongue Bonnieux 27 rooms from £252Country Escape - In lavender fields within Provence countryside, enjoy the outdoor pool, wonderful food or simply just the fragrant breezeFoodies - Restaurant Edouard Loubet has been awarded two Michelin stars and is unmissableViews - Luberon mountainsLocal markets - Pottery marketsRecommended by - Tablet, Michelin Travel