Search the best hotels in Guethary
Situated in the Basque country, just south of Biarritz and only minutes from Spain, Guethary is a quaint and beautiful fishing village. The perfect place for surfers and sunbathers alike, it boasts four fantastic beaches, a vibrant nightlife, a fascinating municipal contemporary art museum and all the trappings of a typical seaside village - delectable seafood, in particular, cuttlefish. Sprawling on a hill facing the dark and wild Atlantic Sea, surrounded by clifftops, heathland and forests, it proves to be a great place for coastal walking and is exceedingly popular with surfers. Whether you're hanging out with locals at the pelota court, admiring the 19th century art deco villas or just kicking back at Parlementia Beach, you are bound to be enchanted by this beautiful village. The best places to stay in Guethary seamlessly blend Basque traditions with contemporary comforts.
What not to miss
- Surf against the great Atlantic rollers!
- Sunbathe or build sandcastles on Parlementia Beach.
- Explore the heathland, forests and clifftops surrounding the village.
- Visit the municipal contemporary art museum.
- Hang out with locals at the pelota court.
- Dine on the local speciality, cuttlefish.
Quaint, beautiful and full of sand and sunshine, Guethary is the Cote d'Azur without the crowds. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Guethary to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Guethary
- Briketenia Hotel: a chic restaurant with rooms, offering rooms with trendy interiors, exposed stonework and whitewashed walls, and unbelievably brilliant cuisine. Miles and miles of white sand beaches are only a stone's throw away.
- Hotel Villa Catarie: a beautiful Basque townhouse, (whitewashed and red shuttered) in the centre of the village, offering romantic-rustic rooms with lovely fabrics and antiques. Guests can enjoy lounging in the garden, pool and terrace. Perfect for surfers.
- Arguibel: a modern neo-Basque villa, boasting high-tech designer rooms with private balconies. Walking distance to Michelin-star restaurants and the beach. A chic and charming stay!
- Villa L'Arche: offering large, modern rooms with sea views and lots of colour, and roomy apartments that are ideal for families. Enjoy the shade of the terrace and the garden, that directly links to the beach. Trendy, chilled and full of sunshine.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Biarritz Airport, and get a train or taxi to Guethary.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer, when the temperature ranges between 14 and 25 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Pyrenees-Atlantiques
- or France
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Guethary
Best Hotels in Guethary
Briketenia Hotel Guethary 14 rooms from £82Foodies - Owned by the Ibarboure family who harbour generations of restaurantier experience and are littered with Michelin Stars.Surfing - Long swathes of sandy beaches with excellent surf conditions.Restaurant - The restaurant boasts one Michelin StarGreat walks - Miles of coastline to be explored.
A chic boutique restaurant with rooms owned by renowned restauranteurs the Ibarboure family. Undeniably brilliant cuisine. Trendy interiors with simple white-washed walls, exposed stonework and small balconies to take your gourmet breakfast on. Miles of sandy beaches nearby. French paradise. See More
Hotel Villa Catarie Guethary 16 rooms from £95Full of character - The property dates back to the 18th century and all the rooms are furnished with antiquesSights nearby - You're bang in between Biarritz and St Jean de Luz so there's plenty to see close byLocal markets - Explore the traditaional french market in Guethary and those further afieldSurfing - This coastline is renowned for its great surfingRecommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Le Madrid Guethary 5 rooms from £108Foodies - The restaurant at the guesthouse is a central hub in this quaint seaside town and makes the hotel popular with foodiesBeach Life - Set on the seafront in the pretty town of Guéthary, this hotel is great for a relaxing seaside breakRomantic Break - With sea views and spacious, well-appointed rooms, this hotel is popular with couplesSurfing - This seaside town has great waves, making it popular with surfers; enquire at the hotel for local board hire
This historic restaurant with rooms is located in the heart of the village of Guéthary on the Basque coast. Rooms are bright and spacious, featuring mid-century furniture and vintage pelota posters; book a cosy suite for a rolltop bath with ocean views. A Biarritz classic ideal for a romatic break. See More
Arguibel Guethary 5 rooms from £113Beach Life - With swathes of golden sand just a short drive away this is a seriously chic spot for a beach holidayFoodies - The hotel is within walking distance of 2 michelin star restaurants.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Michelin Travel
Villa L'Arche Guethary (Bidart) 8 rooms from £130Beach Life - You can hear the sea from rooms and coastal walks are just a stone's throw away. Unwind in the seaside-chic atmosphereSurfing - In nearby Biarritz, there are many surf schools for all abilitiesOn the beach - There's a path from the garden directly on to a soft sandy beachSights nearby - Close to the Spanish border, for the Bilbao GuggenhiemRecommended by - Michelin Travel