Ile de Noirmoutier
Search the best hotels in Ile de Noirmoutier
About Ile de Noirmoutier
Off the Vendee coast lies Ile de Noirmoutier, an island of high dunes, long secluded beaches, forests and salt mashes, connected to the mainland by both a bridge and a causeway that can only be accessed at low tide. The ideal family holiday destination, there is something for everyone on this beautiful island: from folk and nautical museums, medieval castles, 7th century tombs and 11th century crypts, an ancient forest that was once the "Mecca of druidism", as well as pristine beaches and the chance to enjoy a massive range of watersports. So, whether you're horseriding across the Plage des Dames, cycling through the Woods of Chaize, booking a session with the sailing school or visiting the 12th century Noirmoutier Castle, you will feel echanted by this majestic, timeless world. Use our guide to the best places to stay in Ile de Noirmoutier and start to plan your idyllic holiday!
What not to miss
- Visit the 12th century Noirmoutier Castle and its excellent museum.
- Take in a session at the sailing school.
- Explore the salt marshes by foot.
- Sunbathe on the pristine Plage des Dames.
- Check out the Museum of Shipbuilding.
- Head to the Church of St. Philbert, boasting an 11th century crypt and the 7th century tomb of its patron saint.
- Enjoy any number of activities, ranging from horseriding and mask-making to pottery and fishing.
Steeped in natural beauty and history, this is the ideal destination for a family holiday, which means that it is extremely busy during the peak summer months. So if you want to be sure of a room in one of the best places to stay in the Ile de Noirmoutier in July or August, get organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Ile de Noirmoutier
- Le General d'Elbee is a fantastic 4* set in a gorgeously restored mansion on the waterfront, offering upscale, individually-styled rooms and suites, a swimming pool and spa - all just a stone's throw from the beach. Divine. Great for couples on a romantic break or honeymoon.
- Blanc Marine is typical of Noirmoutier - a whitewashed and blue-shuttered house - and offers individually-decorated rooms and a spacious suite ideal for families, plus a flower-filled garden and a heated pool. Just a stone's throw from the beach - it's perfect for a family seaside holiday!
- The Corner is a charming, contemporary B&B offering beautiful and bright rooms decorated in muted colours and adorned with artworks. Enjoy the indulgent breakfasts or hiring a bike to explore the wider area.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- During August, the small population swells from 10,000 to 100,000, so best visit in July or September. The summer average high is in the mid twenties celsius.
- Fly to Nantes Atlantique Airport, and get a train to Ile de Noirmoutier: the journey roughly takes 1.45 hours.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars. Few use cars on the island, so be sure to hire a bike instead!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include Brittany's Belle Ile en Mer
- or all the best places to stay in Vendee.
- Alternatively contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ile de Noirmoutier
Best Hotels in Ile de Noirmoutier
Blanc Marine Ile de Noirmoutier 5 rooms from £74Outstanding location - Just 5 minutes from sandy beaches and downtownSailing - Sailing and yacht racing nearbySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Sawdays
Your home-from-home on lovely Ile de Nourmoutier. Five smart B&B rooms individually decorated in a comfortable modern house. Charming independent suite, flower-filled garden, and heated pool. Just 5 minutes walk to beaches or downtown. Activities for all ages nearby. Perfect for family holidays. See More
The Corner, Ile de Noirmoutier 85330 Noirmoutier-en-l'lle, Ile de Noirmoutier 5 rooms from £101Beach Life - Only 1 mile from the beautiful Plage des Dames.Local markets - The outdoor market in the town centre, every Tuesday and Friday, sells fruit & veg, meats, seafood and art.Sights nearby - The 9th century Castle of Noirmutier is nearby.Restaurant - Table d'hotes is available on request.
Le General d'Elbee NOIRMOUTIER-EN-L’ÎLE, Normandy, Ile de Noirmoutier 25 rooms from £157Sights nearby - 12th-century Château de Noirmoutier castle, Sealand Aquarium, St. Philbert Church - a mix of Romanesque and Gothic stylesOutstanding location - Located on a beautiful island in the Bay of Biscay and just 100 m from the centre of Noirmoutier-en-l’ÎleSpa - Spa offers a multi-sensory shower, steam room, sauna, and a relaxation areaSwimming Pool - Heated pool available April to October
Fabulous 4* hotel in a beautifully restored 18th-century mansion with 25 individually designed rooms and suites. Décor is upscale, contemporary, sophisticated. Unbeatable location on an island with vast sandy beaches. An idyllic spot for family holidays. Splash in the pool or relax in the spa. See More