Search the best hotels in The Vendée
About The Vendée
Bordering the Atlantic Ocean to one side and the Loire Valley on the other, the Vendée is a hugely picturesque region with a fascinating history and marvellously varied landscapes. Named for the Vendée River which winds its way through the region, this is an area dotted with owner-run B&Bs and gorgeous restored châteaux, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Whether perched on a laid-back island or set within verdant parkland, the best places to stay in the Vendée are brilliant for outdoorsy trips as a couple or with family and friends.
Most of the Vendée’s 200kms of beaches are fringed by undulating sand dunes or pine forests. Gentler than some of France’s dramatic Atlantic coastline, this is a wonderful destination for keen sailors, as well as sandcastle-builders and cyclists. The Vendée is, in fact, criss-crossed with more biking and walking trails than any other part of France. Resort towns such as Les Sables-d'Olonne or Saint-Jean-de-Monts are ideal for beach holidays. Charming Ile de Noirmoutier, too, has become a firm family favourite. Back on the mainland, the marshes and forests of the Marais Poitevin will delight nature lovers and birdwatchers. Hike, horse ride or bike your way through the tranquil countryside, feasting on fresh seafood or flavoursome seasonal produce paired with rich French cheeses, meat and wine.
For a sense of the area's turbulent history, venture to the regional capital, La-Roche-sur-Yon, or visit the Vendée Miniature. A model village in Bretignolles-sur-Mer, this impressive offering depicts 19th-century Vendée life in detail. The Château de Talmont-Saint-Hilaire, once home to Richard the Lionheart, hosts activities which will delight guests of all ages, whilst the acclaimed Puy du Fou theme park offers spectacular special effects shows — including Viking attacks on a reconstructed 1000-year-old fortress. Close to myriad outdoor activities, historic attractions and terrific cuisine, the best places to stay in the Vendée won’t disappoint.
The Best Places to Stay in the Vendée
For an Island B&B
- Blanc Marine is a whitewashed house with blue shutters — typical of Noirmoutier — set a few minutes from the island's Plage des Dames. Kick back in one of five characterful bedrooms, or unwind in the garden gîte as a family. The flower-filled gardens and heated outdoor pool add to the appeal of this charming B&B.
- The Corner has contemporary rooms with a fresh blue and white palette, set inside a 200-year-old house on the Ile de Noirmoutier. Expect indulgent breakfasts, bicycles for hire, a friendly welcome and the option of evening meals or picnic boxes if arranged in advance. A very relaxed island escape.
For Families or Groups
- Château du Boisniard sits within its own leafy parkland, and boasts a striking round turret. Some of the 26 individually decorated rooms have space for families, who will also adore the tennis court and swimming pool. Gourmet dining at the La Table du Boisniard is not to be missed. A lovely spa and highly regarded cookery courses complete the picture.
- Château de la Flocellière has three rooms, two suites and three larger gîtes for families or groups. Take refreshing dips in the saltwater swimming pool, stroll through the extensive landscaped gardens or curl up with a good book in rooms clad in toile de jouy wallpapers. Perfect for groups.
- Manoir de L'Eolière is a striking, family-run B&B with just three bedrooms. The three hectares of gardens make it an appealing pick for families, as does the proximity to the beaches of Brétignolles sur Mer. Relaxed and intimate. Book the whole place for a trip with friends.
- Le Manoir du Moulin is a beautiful seven-bedroom B&B in a renovated 17th-century manor house and additional wing. Two of the rooms share a bathroom, creating a lovely family suite. Expect exposed stone walls and wooden beams, beds topped with crisp white linens and modern bathrooms with free-standing tubs. Cooking lessons and wine tours are superb. Hide away as a couple, or book the whole place for a fabulous holiday with friends and family.
- Manoir de Ponsay can trace its origins back to the 15th Century. Now, this gorgeous château invites guests to relax in one of six spacious, characterful rooms, with chintz fabrics and antique furniture. The table d'hôte dinners are superb — as is the wine list. A couples' retreat close to Chantonnay.
- Maison de la Landerie offers three elegant bedrooms clad in white linens and featuring owner Annie's carefully selected vintage pieces. Just 3km from the market town of Sainte Hermine, this pretty farmhouse is the perfect rural escape. Annie's dinners are famously delicious — foodies will be thrilled.
- Château de la Marronnière is an elegant 18th-century gem, surrounded by its own 15 hectare park. Book one of four classic guest rooms with pretty wallpaper, fireplaces and large bathrooms. Lovely communal spaces, an outdoor pool, library and gardens add to the romantic appeal. There is a family room for those travelling with little ones.
- Château de L'Abbaye de Moreille, a former Cistercian abbey just 30 minutes from La Rochelle, is a romantic retreat with just five guestrooms. Sumptuous textiles and antique furniture add to the sophisticated sense of occasion —and the in-room whirlpool tubs (in the best rooms) are a nice touch. Savour French or Thai cuisine at the restaurant, or sip local wine at the characterful bar.
FOR Waterfront Luxury
- The Atlantic Hotel is a trendy seaside spot with retro rooms offering private balconies and ocean views in Les Sables-d'Olonne. Highlights include the refreshing indoor pool, spoiling spa and fantastic seafood restaurant. Le Sloop is a destination in itself! A favourite for couples, friends or families.
- Le General d'Elbée is a fantastic 4* hotel, housed in a restored waterfront mansion on Noirmoutier. Individually appointed rooms and suites are bright, elegant and contemporary — some have private terraces for soaking up the sunshine. The atmospheric bar, library and terrace are ideal for evening drinks after visits to the refreshing swimming pool and spa. Very romantic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nantes Atlantique Airport or to La Rochelle-Ile de Ré Airport. La-Roche-sur-Yon, the capital of the Vendée, is an easy train ride from either airport. Travel by bus or taxi to your destination, or arrange an airport pickup in advance through your hotel.
- The wider Vendée region is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures ranging between 20 and 26°C from June to September. May or September are ideal for quieter trips.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Noirmoutier
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the nearby Charente-Maritime.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in The Vendée
Best Hotels in The Vendée
Manoir de Ponsay The Vendée 6 rooms from £56Full of characterFoodiesSights nearby - Close to the abbeys of La Venise Verte and Nieul sur l’AutiseBack to Nature - The forest of Mervent and the Marais Poitevin are nearbyRecommended by - Sawdays
Romantic chateau set in parkland has six dreamy rooms with beautiful antiques and chintz fabrics, plus all modern comforts. Excellent table d'hôte and fine wines available. Close to Puy du Fou theme park and Marais Poitevin and close to the sea. Perfect for families, nature lovers and honeymooners. See More
La Maison de Landerie Vendée, The Vendée 3 rooms from £61Local exploring - Situated a stone's throw from historic cities La Rochelle and Sainte Hermine, this is a great base for local exploringCountry Escape - Located in the village of Sud Vendée, this charming farmhouse is a country idyll, perfect for escaping the cityRomantic Break - With delicious home-cooked French meals available on request, this is a perfect romantic getaway destinationGreat walks - Follow a forest trail on a day out in the rich natural landscape of the Vendée coastRecommended by - Sawdays
This charming farmhouse sits within an idyllic village on the Vendée coast. Decorated with crisp French linens, the homely bedrooms lead down into a traditional country living room and dining area, where the owner serves outstanding home-cooked cuisine. An intimate location, perfect for couples. See More
Blanc Marine Ile de Noirmoutier 5 rooms from £74Outstanding location - Just 5 minutes from sandy beaches and downtownSailing - Sailing and yacht racing nearbySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Sawdays
Your home-from-home on lovely Ile de Nourmoutier. Five smart B&B rooms individually decorated in a comfortable modern house. Charming independent suite, flower-filled garden, and heated pool. Just 5 minutes walk to beaches or downtown. Activities for all ages nearby. Perfect for family holidays. See More
Chateau du Boisniard Chambretaud, The Vendée 26 rooms from £95Families - Larger suites are ideal for families, spa treatments for the adults, pool and tennis court for all the familyFoodies - Cookery classes at the hotel can specialise in molecular cooking, poultry, fish and sushiCooking classes - With Sébastien from the La Table du Boisniard gourmet restaurantRestaurant - The restaurant boasts a Michelin StarRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Manoir de L'Eoliere Landevieille, The Vendée 3 rooms from £92Outstanding location - Perfect for accessing the Vendee coast and local restaurants and shopsHideaway - A great place for getting away from it allGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Stunning B&B accommodation in the outbuildings of a lovely 19th-century manor house. Each of the three rooms is different, elegantly furnished with family antiques and original artworks, plus all modern comforts. Nestled in a wooded park with the beaches of Brétignolles sur Mer just minutes away. See More
Atlantic Hotel Les Sables-d'Olonne 138 rooms from £95Beach Life - A perfect beach-chic property with a nautical theme and positioned right on Les Sables-d'Olonne coastline.Total relaxation - With an excellent spa, fine dining and fresh sea air - this property is meant for unwinding!Great walks - Start your day on the right note and head off for a walk along the Bay of Les Sables d’Olonne.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool
A trendy beachside hotel including an indoor pool and spoiling spa. Interiors have a nautical theme with a retro twist, all feature private balconies and some, private hot-tubs. Le Sloop restaurant is a local favourite and boasts sea views and seafood dishes. Pets and children welcome! See More
The Corner, Ile de Noirmoutier 85330 Noirmoutier-en-l'lle, Ile de Noirmoutier 5 rooms from £101Beach Life - Only 1 mile from the beautiful Plage des Dames.Local markets - The outdoor market in the town centre, every Tuesday and Friday, sells fruit & veg, meats, seafood and art.Sights nearby - The 9th century Castle of Noirmutier is nearby.Restaurant - Table d'hotes is available on request.
Chateau de L'abbaye de Moreilles Moreilles, The Vendée 5 rooms from £103Families - Ideal for families, with lots of board games, a pool and tonnes of space for outdoor activities.Hideaway - Surrounded by acres of lovely parklands, this is the perfect escape from city life.Sights nearby - The Aquarium and the Townhall cannot be missed at La Rochelle.Great walks - Explore the acres of parklands and beautiful private gardens.Recommended by - Sawdays
A former Cistercian abbey, turned homely and sophisticated hotel. Original features, such as draped beds and period furnishings transport you to another time. The pool, sauna and private hot tubs add a contemporary twist. Authentic Thai and French cuisine can be enjoyed in the lounge or dining room. See More
Chateau de la Marronniere The Vendée 4 rooms from £104Country Escape - Set within a large park, but close to town, enjoy cycling, walks and swimming after tea on the terraceGreat walks - Hiking trails for walks or morning jogging to the park gateSights nearby - Abbeys of Mazeilles and Neuil-sur-l’AutiseRomantic - Good for couples.
Le Manoir du Moulin Vendee, The Vendée from £130Local markets - The village square of Ste. Hermine has a Friday morning marketFull of characterTraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape
This 17th century manor house is a French dream: yellowstone walls, pastel blue shutters and hung tiles. Rooms are decorated in a French country style with feature roll top baths. Perfect for foodies and families with organic produce (and several vineyards closeby) plus a list of activities. See More
Le General d'Elbee NOIRMOUTIER-EN-L’ÎLE, Normandy, Ile de Noirmoutier 25 rooms from £157Sights nearby - 12th-century Château de Noirmoutier castle, Sealand Aquarium, St. Philbert Church - a mix of Romanesque and Gothic stylesOutstanding location - Located on a beautiful island in the Bay of Biscay and just 100 m from the centre of Noirmoutier-en-l’ÎleSpa - Spa offers a multi-sensory shower, steam room, sauna, and a relaxation areaSwimming Pool - Heated pool available April to October
Fabulous 4* hotel in a beautifully restored 18th-century mansion with 25 individually designed rooms and suites. Décor is upscale, contemporary, sophisticated. Unbeatable location on an island with vast sandy beaches. An idyllic spot for family holidays. Splash in the pool or relax in the spa. See More
Chateau de la Flocelliere La Flocellière, The Vendée 3 rooms from £169Groups - Accommodation of outbuildings are located 8 km is ideal for a big group of people, though they are dormitories.Views - The castle is surrounded by a beautiful landscape of Upper Bocage Vendeen (hills, woods and meadows).Romantic Break - Stunning interiors and a magnificent setting.Garden - Beautifully landscaped gardens.Recommended by - Sawdays
A glorious castle in magnificent surroundings of landscaped parklands. Large stunning rooms and suites, all in traditional elegance with toile de jouy wallpapers and pretty fabrics. Large salt water swimming pool, occasional tables d'hotes, and plenty to do in the surroundings. See More