Search the best hotels in Mâcon
Nestled on the banks of the Saone River in the south of Burgundy, Mâcon is a picturesque city with a charming medieval Old Town and over two thousand years of history. It also produces some of the top wine in the region, making it an ideal destination for foodies and wine lovers, as well as culture buffs and active explorers. Ranging from simple guesthouses to luxurious rural châteaux, accommodation options cater to a whole array of tastes and budgets. Our list of the best places to stay in Mâcon is the perfect starting point for planning your trip.
A charming maze of cobbled streets lined with medieval houses, Mâcon’s Old Town is a wonderful area for a wander. Marvel at quirky Maison de Bois, the oldest building in the city, step into the Old Cathedral of St. Vincent, and stroll along the Quai Lamartine, named after the 19th-century poet. For a glimpse into the history of the region, visit the Museum of the Ursulines, housed in a 17th-century convent, the Memorial Citoyen and the intriguing Apothecary. Beyond the city, the castle of Berzé-le-Châtel and the frescoed Chapelle des Moines are very special.
The lush pastures and vineyards which surround Mâcon offer walking, horse riding and cycling trails, as well as world-class winery tours and tastings. Follow the picturesque Route des Vins Maconnais, discover the lovely village of Solutré-Pouilly, and kayak along the Saone River. Retreat to one of the best places to stay in Mâcon for relaxed evenings in a lovely historic setting.
The Best Places to Stay in Mâcon
For a Rural Escape
- Auberge du Paradis is surrounded by vineyards and fields, promising a tranquil rural escape. The classic exterior belies a contemporary makeover: chic rooms have modern furniture, pale wood floors and a pared-back feel. Highlights include the swimming pool, wine tastings and the innovative restaurant's gourmet cuisine. One for couples or friends.
- Vers La Croix is a lovely country house B&B with minimalist white-on-white guestrooms featuring stand-out artwork and big bathrooms with free-standing tubs. Families and groups will appreciate the self-catering options, and guests share access to the pool and garden. Perfectly placed for Beaujolais and Burgundy vineyard wine tastings, and for cyclists.
- Château de Pierreclos sits within manicured gardens, alongside its own working vineyard. The five rooms have exposed wooden beams and indulgent bathrooms. Two of the larger spaces can accommodate families, and little ones will adore exploring the vast estate, swimming in the pool or carrying picnics into the gardens. Relaxing and understated.
For Great Value
- La Courtille de Solutré is a charming little guesthouse in the pretty village of Solutré-Pouilly. Pick this place for the bright, simple rooms, delicious regional restaurant and exceptional wine list. A great value choice for keen foodies.
FOR A self catering APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Lyon-Saint Exupéry International Airport, an hour's drive — or a 1.5 hour train ride — from Mâcon. Alternatively, take the high-speed train from Paris to Lyon and back up to Mâcon from there. The journey should take around 3 hours.
- Burgundy is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between May and September for warm weather (with temperatures peaking around 33°C), although this is the most popular time to visit. Spring or autumn visitors can expect cooler temperatures and fewer crowds — though this will not be the case during popular harvest season; this is also a more pleasant time for cycling or walking trips.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Cluny.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Burgundy.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Mâcon
Best Hotels in Mâcon
La Courtille de Solutre Mâcon (Solutré) 6 rooms from £82Value chic - With contemporary interiors, gourmet dining, and a central Pouilly-Fuissé location — you are getting a lot for your money hereWine tasting - Take a tour of the surrounding vineyards of the Pouilly-Fuissé appellation and sample the produce along the wayLocal exploring - A charming guesthouse and restaurant ideally located to explore the vineyards and sights of the regionFoodies - Sample local produce (including foie gras) and wines in the hotel's very good restaurant
Vers La Croix Mâcon 5 rooms from £121Self catering - There is the option of renting a separate self-catering cottage that sleeps up to nine people — ideal for groups or familiesWine tasting - Set between the crossroads of the Beaujolais and Burgundy vineyards, there is plenty to choose from on a tasting tripLocal exploring - Boasting a tranquil rural location yet still within easy access of Mâcon, Cluny, Lyon, Tournus and BeauneArtworks - The hotel holds a permanent exhibition of street-art from the Mathgoth Gallery
A charming country house set in a picturesque part of rural Burgundy. Rooms mix contemporary and traditional styles with exposed beams, crisp white linen, simple modern furniture and soft hues. The best bathrooms have free standing tubs. There's a pretty garden and swimming pool too. See More
Auberge du Paradis Mâcon 9 rooms from £148Quirky - From the funky design to the innovative cuisine, this hotel is something a little different to your classic Burgundy stayContemporary - A traditional house that has hade a contemporary makeover; expect modern furniture and eclectic décorCycling - The quiet roads and picturesque countryside make this a great base for a cycling holidayLocal exploring - Well placed to explore Tournus and the vineyards of southern Burgundy
A lovely country house hotel surrounded by vineyards and flower fields. Contemporary chic interiors feature modern furniture and pale wood floors. An innovative restaurant uses lots of spice with traditional ingredients. Complete with a swimming pool, wine tasting, and lovely gardens. A chic stay. See More
Château de Pierreclos Mâcon 5 rooms from £165Wine tasting - The hotel has been making wine for generations. Take a guided tour of the vineyards & cellar before enjoying a sampling sessionFamilies - There are two family suites, the larger of which comfortably sleeps five across two rooms — an easy base for familiesCountry Escape - An elegant chateau set within beautifully kept grounds and vineyards, a classic rural French escapeCycling - The quiet lanes and off road tracks are ideal for cycling enthusiasts
A striking château and working vineyard set in beautifully manicured gardens. Five immaculately styled rooms mix traditional and contemporary design, think: soft hues, exposed beams, minimalist furniture and seriously luxurious bathrooms. Sample the estate's wines and explore the glorious landscape. See More