I love your site btw! Alex Slater.
Search the best hotels in Mougins
Far, far from your average medieval French town of winding cobbled streets and dusty peasant buildings: the streets of Mougins are sprinkled with stardust. Only a few kilometres from Cannes, the host of the international film festival, it has attracted visitors as famous as Winston Churchill and Elizabeth Taylor. A haven for artists, Picasso spent the last years of his life in this picturesque town, there are numerous art galleries within her narrow alleyways. A place of flowers blooming in pretty gardens, Michelin-star restaurants, cute boutique cafes and ancient fountains sitting side-by-side modern statues, it is a place that will blow you away, and our collection of the best places to stay in Mougins will also do just that.
It is unsurprising that Mougins attracts so many artists. Perched on a hilltop, it has spectacular views of the Bay of Cannes and if you go to the table d'orientation, you will marvel at the breadth of what you can see. There are countless art galleries and photography museums both big and small, the best of which is probably the Museum of Classical Art, featuring everything from Egyptian coffins and sculptures of the Emperor Hadrian to paintings by Picasso and Damien Hirst.
Infamous for its gastonomic establishments, Mougins boasts a plethora of Michelin-star restaurants like La Place des Mougins and L'Amandier, and if that doesn't tickle your tastebuds there is a festival of gastonomy every year.
What Not to miss
- Museums: there are so many art galleries, from the Photography Museum featuring photos of Picasso and others, and the Museum of Classical Art houses sculptures, artefacts and works of art from classical times to modernity: from Egyptian coffins to the paintings of Picasso and Matisse.
- Churches: the Chapel Saint-Bartholomew is a 10th century chapel with a quirky twist, for it is octagonal - a rarity. The Chapel Notre-Dame-de-Vie is a wonderful 16th century chapel built on the site of an ancient temple and is next door to where Picasso lived.
- Old Town: the historic centre is a beautiful labyrinthine mass of cobbled streets adorned with gorgeous gardens and boutique galleries, fabulous Michelin-star restaurants and charming cafes. If you walk to the table d'orientation, you can see the Bay of Cannes sweep before you.
If you're after art and stardust, then you will love this town and the best places to stay in Mougins all prize good food and chic accommodation above all else.
The best places to stay in Mougins
- Le Manoir de L'Etang: a charming hilltop manor house with gorgeous views of the countryside, offering 24 rooms with a restaurant, garden and swimming pool.
- Les Rosees: a gorgeous boutique guesthouse offering 5 elegant rooms. A great romantic nest far from the madding crowds.
- Mougins Luxury Retreats: a stunning hotel with amazing views of the Bay of Cannes, offering 11 rooms, suites and apartments. It has a cafe, bar, spa and an outdoor pool. Within walking distance of Michelin-star restaurants.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments.
- The nearest airport is Nice Cote d'Azur and is 26km away.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer months, when the temperature averages at about 24 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Mougins
Maison Nounette 3 rooms from £88Mougins
A charming house surrounded by pretty gardens with a pool and terrace area. The homely interiors are rustic featuring terracotta tiles, wooden beams and hardwood furniture; rooms are feminine with pretty headboards and floral fabrics. Home cooked food is served by the talented host. Fabulous.Country Escape - Located in idyllic countryside, not far from the beautiful French Riviera beaches as well, a great base for a quiet escapeLocal exploring - An ideal base for exploring both the Cote d'Azur and its inland villages and townsGreat walks - There are lovely marked trails to avail of and enjoy the picturesque countrysideSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
Le Manoir de L'Etang 24 rooms from £110Mougins
Rustic hilltop manor house with gorgeous views on the outskirts of Mougins, 15 minutes from Cannes. Tasteful and authentic interior with spacious rooms and an expansive surrounding countryside that's great for walks. Ideal for groups.Sights nearby - Visit the disarming Massif de l'Esterel, eleven miles from the hotel.Great walks - Beautiful walking routes in the surrounding countryside.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Le Mas de Mougins 5 rooms from £141Mougins
A lovely villa surrounded by pretty gardens and a relaxing pool with a terrace. Expect chic, unfussy furnishings and attractive artwork; rooms have lovely hardwood furniture, fine linens and handsome headboards. A classic Mediterranean base.Local exploring - A lovely little countryside bolthole, a short distance from Cote d'Azur beaches and a short drive from CannesGreat walks - There are lots of picturesque hiking opportunities in the areaSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolBack to NatureRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
Les Rosées 5 rooms from £193Mougins (Cote d'Azur)
Gorgeous French guest house in the hills above Cannes. Honeysuckle terraces, aqua marine pool, and rambling gardens. Elegant rooms in neutral tones and lots of natural light. Fantastic home-cooked food and Michelin star restaurants a short walk away. A romantic retreat away from the crowds.Foodies - Michelin two-star Le Moulin de Mougins a short walk away.Swimming Pool - Small Plunge PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Le Mas Candille 45 rooms from £20406250 Mougins
A luxury hotel in a lush estate set in pretty gardens with a great pool and sunbathing terrace. Expect high-quality gourmet cuisine, and impressive marble-clad interiors have a classic elegance with modern twists. Large rooms are bright with high-end fittings, tasteful artwork and classy furniture.Country Escape - This idyllic spot nestled among gardens is great for country relaxation, with the glitz of the French Riviera in easy reachFoodies - The food at the Michelin starred Le Mas Candille restaurant is simply stunning!Local markets - Visit Cannes' Forville Market from where the chef sources many of his ingredients.Sights nearby - You are just 5 minutes wallk from the Medieval centre of Mougins
Mougins Luxury Retreats 11 rooms from £21906250 Mougins
Stunning hotel standing above the Bay of Cannes in the heart of Mougins, offering suites, apartments and villas decorated in a light, modern style with artworks and sprinklings of rustic furnishings. There is a cafe, outdoor pool, spa and Michelin-star restaurants within walking distance.Foodies - There are many Michelin-star restaurants in this tiny, picturesque village.Beach Life - Within easy reach of the beaches at Cannes, Antibes and Juan les PinsSwimming Pool - Outdoor swimming pool.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith