Search the best hotels in Orléans
Elegant Orléans, on the north bank of the Loire river just 100kms south of Paris, is a buzzing, cosmopolitan city with a wonderfully preserved - and pedestrianised - medieval heart. Orléans has been an important settlement since before the Romans arrived. Many of the best places to stay in Orleans are within easy walking distance of these beautiful remains of the past.
It is probably most famous for Jeanne d’ Arc who had one of her great successes here. Orléans is littered with monuments keeping her memory and importance alive.
Many of the city’s great monuments and landmarks were built in the middle ages, including the grandly Gothic Cathédrale Ste-Croix - where Joan prayed in May 1429. The building has been added to and modified by subsequent kings, including Louix XVI who added the stained glass depicting Joan’s life.
What Not To Miss
- If that’s not enough detail on Joan of Arc, get a further overview at the Maison de Jeanne d’Arc, a museum in the reconstructed house where she stayed during April and May 1429.
- Orléans also has an impressive fine arts museum with an excellent collection by well known painters, a Museum of History and Archaeology - which also has several depictions of Joan.
- Pay a visit to the spectacular Cathedrale Ste-Croix - with magnificent stained glass windows depicting the story of Joan of Arc.
- Stroll around the tranquil Parc Floral Orleans, with a fantastic family-friendly atmosphere including pedal carts and a butterfly enclosure.
- Wander around the Place du Martroi, or sit and enjoy a drink in the abundance of cafes and restaurants whilst people-watching in this delightful large square.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Orleans are ideal bases whether you're simply passing through or are planning to stay and explore the wider area.
For central location
- The Hotel de L'Abeille is a unique hotel, now run by the fourth generation of the family and is located in a pedestrianised area of Orleans. Each room is decorated in Louis XIV style with vibrant wallpapers and furnishings. Some rooms have balconies, for those that don't there is a roof terrace. An organic breakfast is served.
Just out of town
- Just outside of Orléans, the Relais Louis XI is a 14 room hotel converted from former stables. Despite the exterior, rooms are modern with wooden floors, wrought iron furniture and lovely bathrooms. The hotel is surrounded by a quiet, pretty garden and the restaurant has a good seasonal menu. With rooms starting from £64 this is also a great value spot in the Loire.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a variety of properties located both centrally and out of town
- Fly to Paris Charles de Gaulle located 160km (100 miles) from Orleans with a huge range of flight options from other destinations.
- Orleans is will served by trains, especially from Paris - taking anywhere between 50 mins to 1hr 25 mins
- If you'd prefer to rent a car to explore Orleans and it's beautiful surroundings, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - whilst Orleans' beautiful sights can be viewed year-round, the summer months from June to September provide the warmest weather, and visitors in mid-September will see the city's famous Festival de la Loire.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Orléans
Hotel de L'Abeille Orléans 26 rooms from £71Sights nearby - Visit the famous Cathedrale Ste-CroixGreat walks - Through the Parc Floral OrleansTraditionalLocal markets - Good for local colour.
This unique hotel, now in its fourth generation of the family is located in a pedestrian area of Orleans. Each room is decorated in Louis XIV style with vibrant wallpapers and furnishings. Some rooms have balconies and for those that don't there is a roof terrace. An organic breakfast is served. See More
Relais Louis XI Orléans (Meung-sur-Loire) 16 rooms from £65Country Escape - Historic converted stables on the riverside.Great walks - Take a relaxing stroll along the river.Sights nearby - Visit the lovely Chateau de Meung.TraditionalRecommended by - Fodors
Les Trois Maillets Orléans 2 rooms from £74Sights nearby - Five minutes walk from the Maison de Jeanne d'Arc.
Moulin St Julien Orléans 3 rooms from £100Fishing - Fishing trips on the nearby river can be organised by the hotel.Sights nearby - Take a trip to the fantastic Botanical Gardens of Orléans.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
La Feuillaie Orléans 5 rooms from £128Country Escape - A picturesque rural house complete with superb food and surrounded by excellent walking country.Cooking classes - Take a cooking class with the host and learn to make regional dishes.Sights nearby - Visit the majestic Chateaux of Meung-sur-Loire.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Sawdays
An 18th century home set in extensive grounds. Traditionally dressed rooms are atmospheric and luxurious with antiques, patterned wallpaper and claw-foot baths. Fabulous dinners are served by the host in the candlelit dining room and there are billiards and a piano for after dinner entertainment. See More
Chateau La Touanne Orléans (Baccon) 5 rooms from £113Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Orleans and explore its famous sights.Great walks - The surrounding 20 hectare park is great for walking.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
Empreinte Hotel Orléans 33 rooms from £130Local exploring - Set in the heart of the historic city, ideal for those wanting to explore by footGreat walks - Stroll along the banks of Le Loire or head to the 70 hector Ile de CharlemagnePrivate Hot TubSpa
This boutique hotel situated on the banks of the Loire is ideally situated within the historic centre of Orleans. Individually designed rooms have a grown-up feel with rich dark hues and contemporary bathrooms. Featuring a well equipped spa and stylish lounge this a luxurious city stay. See More