- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Saintes
Saintes, with a population of around 26,000, is a city in the Charente Maritime department of South West France and is a significant economic and cultural centre. The best places to stay in Saintes are ideal for exploring its attractions and also the surrounding area.
The town has a rich Gallo-Roman history. Founded on the left bank of the river Charente, it was the first Roman capital of Aquitaine and remained the judicial centre of the region until the nineteenth century. Since 1990 it has been a member of the ‘French towns and lands of Art and History’ group. There are many museums, a theatre, cinemas and festivals to enjoy. The centre (left bank) of Saintes is a conservation area covering some 65 hectares. Its pedestrian alleys are a great way to discover many historic monuments and buildings from a variety of eras. There is the magnificent Cathedrale St. Pierre, the Basilica St. Eutrope, the Roman amphitheatre, Thermes de St. Saloine (Roman baths), the Column of Liberty - the list goes on!
Saintes lies in the heart of ‘Appellation Cognac Controlee’. The surrounding countryside is gently rolling with fields of sunflowers and vineyards. This is a paradise for ramblers. And for those who like the coast, the beaches of the Atlantic are a mere 30 kilometres away.
What not to miss
- The Triumphal Arch of Germanicus
- The remains of the Romans baths and aqueduct
- Abbaye aux Dames - now a cultural centre
- Cathedrale St. Pierre
- Basilica St Eutrope
The city is a busy destination throughout the year. So if you want to be sure of a room in one of the best places to stay in Saintes, do yourself a favour and plan ahead.
The best places to stay in Saintes
For A peaceful spot on the outskirts
- Relais du Bois St Georges is an elegant hotel set in gorgeous lush gardens. The rooms are all unique, with contemporary furniture, beamed ceilings and beautiful bathrooms. There is an indoor pool. Enjoy the piano lounge and fine gourmet dining. A very grown up getaway!
For an apartment or holiday villa
- If you've decided that you'd prefer a self catering opton, then check out the wide range with our partner, booking.com.
- Fly to La Rochelle (around an hour to the north west) or Bordeaux, just over 150km to the south.
- Saintes is a rail hub with good connections to the rest of France
- If you are planning to hire a car, we recommend you check out the range with Rentalcars.
Best Hotels in Saintes
Relais du Bois St Georges 30 rooms from £145Saintes (132 Cours Genet)
The elegant Relais du Bois St Georges is set in a gorgeous garden. Unique rooms with contemporary furniture, exposed beam ceilings and lovely bathrooms. Indoor pool, garden, terrace and piano lounge. Excellent dining with locally sourced produce. Quiet, grown up and a little different!Back to Nature - Feel a million miles away from your worries at this peaceful spot, located in a beautiful seven hectare parkRomantic Break - Characterful interiors, indoor pool and spa treatments, a trip to the beach and gourmet diningFoodies - Enjoy superb meals in a lovely setting at their excellent restaurant!Great walks - Head off on a leisurely stroll through the lush garden