The Hotel Guru is my “go to” site for hotel recommendations Rebecca Terrazas.
Search the best hotels in Sancerre
The namesake wine is well known internationally, but Sancerre itself is quite a small medieval hilltop town with a cobweb of streets leading down the bean shaped hill and out into the vineyards. It has beautiful views over the Loire River and its light, pale, airy beauty leads many people to liken it to the famous wine. The best places to stay in Sancerre can be found both in amongst the winding streets of town, and out in the vineyards and surrounding countryside.
Things not to miss:
- Visit the beautiful Belfry of St. Jean.
- Maison des Sancerre is worth an afternoon's browsing with an ecletic mix of local history and heritage.
- Walk up to the historic Tours des Fiefs.
- This is wine country, so a trip to region wouldn't be complete without taking in a tour. The Cave Eric Louis - Vins de Sancerre is a particularly good one.
Whether you want to be close to the significant local sights - the Belfry of St. Jean and the numerous grand hotels and maisons dating from the middle ages - or closer to the rows of Sauvignon grapes, which mark out the easternmost border of the Loire’s main growing region, our pick of the best places to stay in Sancerre offer spectacular views and excellent wine lists.
For excellent value
- La Cote des Monts Damnés is a simple, homely hotel with 12 rooms with both a gastronomic restaurant and bistro. Very reasonably priced too.
For a chateau experience
- The Chateau de Beaujeu is a peaceful, beautiful chateau B&B with rambling gardens and a charming dining room used for breakfast. The five rooms are large and uniquely decorated with pretty wallpapers and parquet floors.
For a private apartment or villa
- Browse through the selection at our online partner Booking.com.
- The closest airports to Sancerre are Tours (99 miles) and Paris-Orly (99 miles).
- For those interested in hiring a car, which we would recommend if you want to make the most of the area, visit our online car hire partner Rentalcars.
- Sancerre is at it's most beautiful in early summer (May to June) and Autumn (September to November).
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sancerre
Le Moulin de Vrin 4 rooms from £79Sancerre
A delightful bungalow set in acres of mature gardens just two hours from Paris. Spacious rooms are light and airy with floor to ceiling french doors leading onto a quiet patio, simple contemporary furniture and wooden floors. A tranquil retreat from which to explore the Loire Valley.Short fly break - Surrounded by attractions and just two hours from Paris, this is the ideal weekend escape.Sights nearby - Visit the church of Sainte-Croix-Notre-Dame, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.Kayaking - Take a canoe tour on the Loire for a half or full day.Secluded setting - For escaping.
La Cote des Monts Damnés 12 rooms from £95Sancerre
A simple and homely hotel, fantastic for those looking to explore and to sample Sancerre's best. Bedrooms are comfortable and smartly decorated. Plus there's a gastronomic restaurant and a bistro for more casual dining. Explore the countryside forests and picturesque lakes on the hotel's doorstep.Wine tasting - The perfect base for exploring the vineyards of Sancerre and tasting their produce.Sights nearby - Explore the medieval town of SancerreGreat walks - Explore the local countrysideBack to Nature
Le Prieure de Sant Agnan 5 rooms from £124Sancerre
A boutique B&B located just steps from the Loire. Charming traditional rooms feature antique furniture, rich hues, dark wooden polished floors and crisp white linen. Boasting a large outdoor pool, cosy lounge and sumptuous breakfasts. A luxury pad from which to explore the region.Local exploring - A charming base ideally located to explore the region.Great walks - Stroll along the Loire, the last wild river in Europe.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Beaujeu 5 rooms from £109Sancerre
Peaceful chateau B&B. Large unique rooms feature draped curtains, pretty wallpapers and parquet floors. Independent cottage is contemporary in style. Rambling gardens and charming dining room for breakfast. A perfect base for wine tasting, delicious Sancerre and Pouilly-Sur-Loire amongst others.Country Escape - A short drive from Loire River, and surrounded by quiet countryside, enjoy wine tasting and the atmosphere of historic ChateauKayaking - On the Loire RiverSights nearby - Town of BourgesRomantic - Good for couples.