Search the best hotels in Sancerre
Famed around the globe for its wine, Sancerre is a small medieval hilltop village with beautiful views over the surrounding vineyards. A Loire Valley gem for foodies and wine lovers, the Sancerre area offers some lovely accommodation options, including everything from simple guesthouses to elegantly restored châteaux. Near the left bank of the Loire River, many of the best places to stay in Sancerre are intimate and historic, encouraging travellers to kick back, slow down and soak up all that the region has to offer.
Amble around Sancerre to spot striking old buildings, popping into small bars, boutiques and eateries as you wander. Cultural highlights include the Belfry of St. Jean and the Tour des Fiefs — both well worth visiting. The Maison des Sancerre is also a brilliant place to delve into intriguing local history.
Beyond the village lie bountiful vineyards and marvellous châteaux: do take the time to explore both! Tours and tastings of world-class wineries are a delight, and the Cave Eric Louis - Vins de Sancerre, comes highly recommended. There’s also cycling, hiking, horse riding and kayaking on offer for outdoorsy travellers and active families. For lively evenings out and still more heritage sites, take a day trip to nearby Orléans.
Many of the best places to stay in Sancerre fill up fast during the harvest months due to their small size — book your trip well in advance to avoid missing out!
The Best Places to Stay in Sancerre
For an intimate hideaway
- Château de Beaujeu is an enchanting 16th-century residence close to the Sauldre River. Pick this place for the tranquil feel, the four elegant rooms with period furnishings, and the lovely rambling gardens. A charming B&B for couples looking to explore the nearby village and vineyards of Sancerre.
- Le Prieuré Saint-Agnan is a gorgeous Benedictine priory, built right up against a Romanesque church close to Sancerre. Expect five beautifully-appointed rooms, a heated outdoor pool and breakfasts of local produce. Although this is mainly a B&B, the hosts also offer a super table d'hôtes, perfect for tasting regional specialities. Charming and luxurious.
- La Côte des Monts Damnés boasts an acclaimed gastronomic restaurant, headed by Chef Jean-Marc Bourgeois. Stay here for the fabulous regional fare, the pretty Chavignol location and the comfortable contemporary rooms. A friendly, family-run hotel for foodies, families and couples.
For great value
- Le Moulin de Vrin is a well-priced B&B in leafy parkland. The property's three guestrooms are light and airy, and the communal area is great for big breakfasts, games and a glass of wine with your hosts after a day of cycling, kayaking or visiting the surrounding châteaux and vineyards. Very relaxed.
For an apartment or holiday villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tours Val de Loire Airport or to Paris-Orly Airport and travel by bus, train or car from there. Most routes to Sancerre are via nearby Orléans.
- The Loire Valley is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- You can expect the warmest weather from June to September. For a quieter trip and especially beautiful scenery, come in the spring (April - May) or the autumn (October - early November).
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Orléans.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Loire Valley.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sancerre
Best Hotels in Sancerre
Le Moulin de Vrin Sancerre 3 rooms from £78Short fly break - Surrounded by attractions and just two hours from Paris, this is the ideal weekend escape.Sights nearby - Visit the church of Sainte-Croix-Notre-Dame, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.Kayaking - Take a canoe tour on the Loire for a half or full day.Secluded setting - For escaping.
A delightful bungalow set in acres of mature gardens just two hours from Paris. Spacious rooms are light and airy with floor to ceiling french doors leading onto a quiet patio, simple contemporary furniture and wooden floors. A tranquil retreat from which to explore the Loire Valley. See More
La Cote des Monts Damnés Sancerre 12 rooms from £94Wine tasting - The perfect base for exploring the vineyards of Sancerre and tasting their produce.Sights nearby - Explore the medieval town of SancerreGreat walks - Explore the local countrysideBack to Nature
A simple and homely hotel, fantastic for those looking to explore and to sample Sancerre's best. Bedrooms are comfortable and smartly decorated. Plus there's a gastronomic restaurant and a bistro for more casual dining. Explore the countryside forests and picturesque lakes on the hotel's doorstep. See More
Château de Beaujeu Sancerre 4 rooms from £104Country Escape - A short drive from Loire River, and surrounded by quiet countryside, enjoy wine tasting and the atmosphere of historic ChateauRestaurant - Breakfast is served and dinner by arrangementKayaking - On the Loire RiverSights nearby - Town of Bourges
Peaceful château B&B. Large unique rooms feature draped curtains, pretty wallpapers and parquet floors. Independent cottage is contemporary in style. Rambling gardens and charming dining room for breakfast. A perfect base for wine tasting, delicious Sancerre and Pouilly-Sur-Loire amongst others. See More
Le Prieuré Saint-Agnan Sancerre 5 rooms from £124Local exploring - A charming base ideally located to explore the region.Great walks - Stroll along the Loire, the last wild river in Europe.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
A boutique B&B located just steps from the Loire. Charming traditional rooms feature antique furniture, rich hues, dark wooden polished floors and crisp white linen. Boasting a large outdoor pool, cosy lounge and sumptuous breakfasts. A luxury pad from which to explore the region. See More