Search the best hotels in Sare
A beautiful Basque hilltop village in the heart of Labourd, near the Spanish border, Sare is the perfect place to go for a rural escape. A typical Basque village, dominated by traditional Basque houses with red and green shutters, many of which date back to the 15th century, it boasts a great many attractions that allow the visitor to immerse themselves in Basque culture: whether you're playing a game of "pelote" in the Place du Fronton, admiring the frescoed altar inside the Church of St. Martin, walking across the medieval bridge or taking a guided tour of Ortillopitz House, you will never be at a loss for something to do. Families will love taking the kids to the prehistoric caves of Cuevas de Sare, while hikers will enjoy conquering Larrun Mountain. As for evening entertainment there are a great selection of restaurants lining the main square to sample the local cuisine in. The best places to stay in Sare are all set in traditional Basque dwellings and boast the best of Basque hospitality.
What not to miss
- Stroll along the medieval bridge, a 15 minute walk from the centre of town in the direction of the prehistoric caves.
- Admire the frescoed altar in the Church of St. Martin.
- Play a game of "pelote" with locals in the Place du Fronton.
- Go hiking up Larrun Mountain.
- Take a guided tour of Ortillopitz House, a 17th century typical Basque dwelling.
- Enjoy a cooking lesson in Basque cuisine at the Museum of Basque Cake.
- Explore the prehistoric caves of Cuevas de Sare.
Picturesque and jam-packed full of culture, Sare is the perfect place to go if you want to immerse yourself in all things Basque, but it's also a quintessential rural escape. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Sare to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Sare
- Olhabidea: a charming restaurant with five individually-styled traditional rooms. The cuisine is local and delicious with much of the produce coming from the garden.
- Arraya: a stylish family-run hotel in the heart of Sare. Blending the comforts of modernity with the charm of Basque tradition. It boasts an excellent restaurant too.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Biarritz, 20km from Sare, and get a taxi or shuttle bus to Sare.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 14 and 25 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Pyrenees-Atlantiques
- or France
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sare
Best Hotels in Sare
Olhabidea Sare 5 rooms from £74Foodies - Mouthwatering, simple, regional cuisine using only the finest local ingrediants, most straight from the garden.Country Escape - A lovely rural property, cosy and quiet, at the foothills of the Pyrenees.Sights nearby - Visit the late-Romanesque church and wander the streets of Sare with it's quaint whitewashed houses.Great walks - Spend a day at the coast and find stunning rugged walks.
A restaurant with rooms that provides wonderful hospitality and food in a beautiful home. Five individually styled, traditional, rooms. Chintz fabrics, beamed ceilings and local art give a quaint feel. A delightful menu with much of the produce coming from the garden. A charming rural stay. See More
Arraya Sare 20 rooms from £83Country Escape - A gorgeous property, set in one of France's prettiest villages, at the foothills of the Pyrénées.Sights nearby - Visit the storybook pretty hamlet of Ihalar.Tennis - Offsite courts.Views - Great views from hotel
Delightful, family-run hotel in the centre of lovely Sare. It combines the comfort of a modern hotel with the charm of a quintessentially Basque residence - wooden beams, colourful country fabrics, pretty objets d'art and quaint bed spreads. An excellent restaurant too. A charming country abode. See More