Search the best hotels in Sarlat
The beautiful capital of Périgord Noir, medieval Sarlat-la-Canéda boasts one of the highest concentrations of historic monuments per square metre in the world. Often known simply as ‘Sarlat’, this gem sits close to Les Eyzies in the forested part of the Dordogne, brilliant for hikes, cycle rides and all manner of outdoorsy explorations. Heritage buffs will be thrilled by the number of striking landmarks; some of which now house the town’s intimate hotels and guesthouses. Chosen for their location, amenities and charming design, our list of the best places to stay in Sarlat offers the perfect guide to kick-start your holiday planning.
Winding lanes snake between the sand-coloured stone buildings of the old town, where you’ll find shops, cafés and eateries aplenty. Journey up the 27-metre glass lift in the ruined Old Church of Sainte Marie — renovated by architect Jean Nouvel, and now containing a buzzing covered market — for panoramic views, fill your shopping bags with local produce at the Wednesday and Saturday market. Other highlights include the almost-thousand-year-old Saint-Sacerdos Cathedral and the Lantern of the Dead stone tower.
Venture slightly further afield to see the Prehistoric Grottoes of Lascaux, decorated with ancient cave paintings, take a guided tour of the Châteaux Puymartin, or amble through the Jardins d’Eau. Cycle from Sarlat to Souillac along the Voie Verte, visit nut farms and wineries, or hunt for truffles in the autumn. You can also expect terrific cuisine at the best places to stay in Sarlat.
The Best Places to Stay in Sarlat
For a Central Stay
- Maison des Peyrat is a characterful stone house surrounded by rambling gardens. Traditional rooms have antique furnishings, exposed stone walls and soft-hued textiles. Sarlat's town centre is a 10 minute walk away. Tranquil, central and well-priced.
- La Villa des Consuls offers a super-central stay in a yellow-stone building with smart, simple rooms featuring big French windows and private terraces. Pick this place for its excellent location and fresh breakfasts. Lovely.
For a Romantic B&B
- L'Ombrière is a beautiful B&B set in an 18th-century residence. The four romantic guestrooms have beamed ceilings, soothing cream colour palettes with antique wooden furnishings, and Dordogne Valley views. Breakfasts feature organic produce from local suppliers and homemade bread or cakes, served either on the terrace or in the wood-pannelled dining room. A delight for couples.
- La Belle Plane is appealingly close to town — accessed along a shady footpath — yet offers a wonderful sense of calm due to its generous 2.5-acre hillside garden. A former winery, the 19th-century building has undergone a sensitive restoration. Families will appreciate the space for extra beds, the friendly welcome and the ample grounds for little ones to play in. Hike, cycle, swim in the pool or use the nearby tennis courts.
- Hotel Meysset has 30 rooms and suites, some of which offer sofa beds or roll-away beds for children. There's a heated outdoor pool and a lovely terrace restaurant with expansive views, too. Just two kilometres from Sarlat, and well-suited to families who will appreciate the air-conditioned modern interiors.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Bergerac Dordogne Périgord Airport or to Brive-Souillac Airport, both just an hour's drive from Sarlat.
- The Dordogne is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect a mild climate, with cool winters and warm, sunny summers. Travel between April and October for balmy weather (with temperatures peaking around 28°C) and pleasant evenings. Truffle enthusiasts should look to visit between December and March.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Les Eyzies.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Dordogne.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sarlat
Best Hotels in Sarlat
Hotel Meysset Sarlat 30 rooms from £65Local exploring - Well placed in a scenic spot in the heart of Dordogne with numerous historical sites and villages in the regionGreat walks - Take long walks straight from the property through the valleysSights nearby - Make a trip to see the famous Lascaux CavesSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A quaint rural hotel boasting a spectacular location in the heart of historic Dordogne. Rustic exteriors open on to bright fresh interiors with fresh contemporary rooms offering a luxurious nights sleep. The restaurant, complete with terrace dining, serves superb regional dishes. A charming stay. See More
La Maison des Peyrat Sarlat 10 rooms from £71Local exploring - Ideally positioned just a 10 minute walk from Sarlat town centre and with easy access to the region's main attractions.Sights nearby - Discover the fascinating prehistoric cave art in the Vézère Valley.Local markets - Sarlat’s food market is a must visit.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
L'Ombrière Sarlat (Dordogne) 4 rooms from £81Country Escape - Located in the beautiful countryside of Montfort, a stone's throw from the Dordogne River, escape the city to this hotelLocal exploring - This hotel has an excellent location for exploring the local sights of the Dordogne ValleyRomantic Break - The quiet rural setting and pretty outdoor pool mean this hotel scores highly with couplesGreat walks - Discover walking trails through the chestnut and oak woods in the surrounding countrysideRecommended by - Chambres dâ€™hÃ´tes de Charme CHC
This charming B&B is set in Montfort in the Dordogne Valley. Dating from the 18th-century, the residence offers spacious rooms with original wooden beams and period furnishings; rooms look out over the beautiful natural landscape of the valley. Dine at the hosts' table at this elegant country hotel. See More
La Belle Plane Sarlat (Dordogne) 4 rooms from £94Country Escape - The pretty hillside setting in the idyllic town of Sarlat makes this hotel a great escape to the countryFamilies - The suites are adapted for family use and cots are available; kids will love the outdoor pool tooRomantic Break - Couples will love the cosy, romantic rooms and the beautiful natural surroundingsTennis - The hotel has tennis facilities in the nearby village; enquire for more details and to book a session on the courtRecommended by - Chambres dâ€™hÃ´tes de Charme CHC
This picturesque B&B is housed in a former winery in the medieval town of Sarlat. The individually designed rooms are modern with some period touches; the family suites offer ample living space and a private sun terrace. Relax in the cosy living room or by the outdoor pool. A charming country B&B. See More
La Villa des Consuls Sarlat 11 rooms from £129Local exploring - Set in the heart of the historic town of Sarlat-la-Canéda.Local markets - The town's weekly food markets are a must visit.Kayaking - Hire a kayak and paddle down the Dordogne river.Full of character