Search the best hotels in St Émilion
About St Émilion
Set 45 minutes east of Bordeaux on the edge of the Dordogne region, Saint-Émilion has become synonymous with some of the finest wines in the world. A highly regarded UNESCO World Heritage Site, the town — home to just 2000 people — is also a cultural and foodie hotspot, perfect for romantic honeymoons or special trips with friends and family. The region’s popularity means that there’s an excellent array of B&Bs, hotels and converted châteaux to choose as your base. Some of the best places to stay in Saint-Émilion even boast their own vineyards: a wine-lover’s dream.
Discover Saint-Émilion’s ancient roots at the Place de l’Eglise Monolithique, named for an iconic 12th-century church hewn from limestone, and soak up the sunshine with a coffee on the square. Guided walking tours reveal subterranean labyrinths hidden under winding streets, beautiful Romanesque churches, and the grotto where Saint Émilion reputedly lived. The Bell Tower is a local landmark, as is the Maison du Vin.
Explore the town on two wheels, or venture into the surrounding vineyards for tours, tastings, bicycle excursions and horse riding before returning for epic dinners at some of the best places to stay in Saint-Émilion. Particularly popular during the summer months, our top spots are well worth booking in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in Saint-Emilion
- Hostellerie de la Plaisance is an elegant luxury hotel with 17 rooms and four suites overlooking picturesque vineyards. Award-winning French chef Philippe Etchebest crafts Michelin-starred cuisine, paired with some of the cellar's 700+ bottles, half of which are from local vineyards. A gastronomic gem.
- Logis de la Cadène boasts one of the oldest restaurants in Saint-Emilion. Chef Alexandre Baumard now specialises in inventive takes on classical French dishes. The four welcoming rooms are a brilliant place to lay your head after dinner. A foodie favourite.
For a Vineyard Escape
- Les Clefs de Troplong Mondot is tucked within its own vineyards, known for producing particularly highly-regarded wines. Book a private two-bedroom house or one of two romantic suites to hide away in utter bliss. For wine lovers, foodies and romantics looking to stay at a classic winery.
- Le Relais de Franc Mayne, a working vineyard and upmarket B&B, is an oenophile's dream. Set amid the vines just outside St Emilion, the hotel has individually themed rooms — think 'Out of Africa' or 'Pop Art' — a natural, chlorine-free pool and acres of vineyards. Indulge in free wine tastings from the extenive cellars; also perfect for a nightcap after dinner in town.
- Château de Pitray has just four traditional B&B rooms in a remarkable castle. Set in a 200-acre estate, the property offers a swimming pool, tennis, horse riding and walking trails. The big draw for wine connoisseurs is the château's vineyard, producing 240,000 bottles per year and offering terrific tours and tastings.
- Château de Castelneau has been owned by the same family for nine generations. Book one of three guestrooms, and spend your days touring the onsite winery, tasting superb vintages and exploring the region. A wine-focused stay.
- 5 Lasserre promises a hip, adults-only stay in the Saint-Emilion region. The four suites and one duplex apartment have exposed brick walls, contemporary design pieces and expansive rural views. Kick back by the pool, savour farm-to-table fare and explore the wine country. A trendy bolthole for stylish couples.
- Château Grand Barrail sits in a seven-acre park in the heart of Bordeaux's wine-producing region. This opulent, 46-room hotel has a gourmet restaurant, indulgent spa and lavish guestrooms with four-poster beds. A romantic choice for a classic French escape.
- Clos 1906 is a chic B&B with an antiques gallery, close to a number of top-notch wineries. An 18th century manor house for well-heeled couples with four smart, understated rooms, a two-bedroom flat and a swimming pool. Ideal for couples or friends.
- Château du Palanquey is a romantic couples' base, with a soothing spa, swimming pool and modern and vintage design pieces in spacious guestrooms. A relaxing countryside château, east of Saint-Emilion.
- Château de Courtebotte is an imposing 17th-century castle on the banks of the Dordogne River. Pick this place for the comfortable, family-friendly rooms and multi-bedroom cottages, the proximity to popular wineries and activities, and the laid-back feel.
- Le Pavillion, St Emilion sleeps up to 10 people in five sophisticated double bedrooms. The ultimate private villa rental for wine lovers, it's perfectly placed for Saint-Emilion winery visits and overlooks rows of vines. Dominated by an elegant spiral staircase, this heritage mansion has a well-equipped kitchen, wine club-style sitting room, library and pretty courtyard garden. Ideal for a dream celebration with friends or family.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Bordeaux-Mérignac Airport, 45 minutes from Saint-Emilion by car. Alternatively, take the TGV from Paris via Bordeaux, arriving in just under four hours.
- Gironde is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between May and September for warm weather (with temperatures peaking around 27°C). Spring or autumn visitors can expect cooler temperatures. The harvest season is inevitably busy, but very appealing.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Bordeaux.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Gironde.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in St Émilion
Best Hotels in St Émilion
Chateau de Courtebotte St Émilion 5 rooms from £91Sights nearby - The Château Rauzan and the Tower of Montaigne are close by.Kayaking - On the Dordogne River.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Sawdays
With panoramic views of the Dordogne River, this 17th century castle is perfect for exploring the vineyards. All rooms are decorated in a country style with exposed wood floors and modern bathrooms. There is a hot tub, pool and large grounds. A continental breakfast and dinner are served. See More
Clos 1906 St Émilion 5 rooms from £86Local exploring - Discover the historic sites, wineries and boutiques in the area surrounding the hotel, with plenty to explore locallyFoodies - The region where this hotel is located is great for foodies, with a number of Michelin-starred eateries in the areaCountry Escape - Set amidst the beautiful vineyards of Saint-Émilion, this hotel makes a stylish escape to the countrySights nearby - Visit the Monolithic Church of Saint-Émilion, an underground church carved from limestone starting in the 12th centuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This hotel is set in an 18th-century manor house nestled between some of the best vineyards in Saint-Émilion. Having undergone a full renovation, the bright guestrooms contrast contemporary concept headboards with selected antiques. A cosy sitting room and outdoor pool complete this chic bolt-hole. See More
5 Lasserre St Émilion 3 rooms from £117Country Escape - With only three bedrooms, miles of vineyards, gothic castles nearby and jazz concerts, enjoy getting away from it all hereSights nearby - 12km from Saint Emilion, listed as World Heritage by the UnescoViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Chateau Grand Barrail St Émilion 46 rooms from £175Foodies - Fantastic fine dining restaurant and excellent wine lists.Views - Stunning views over the vines and landscaped gardens.Romantic Break - Opulent rooms have silk drapes and four poster beds.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa facilities.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
An opulent chateau just outside Saint-Emilion. Four star luxury, though it feels more, includes lavish bedrooms with four poster beds, a top of the range spa with all the facilities, and a fantastic fine dining restaurant. Bikes, golf, tennis on site. Utterly gourmet, luxurious, and sophisticated. See More
Château de Pitray St Émilion (Gardegan) 4 rooms from £156Country Escape - A whimsical chateau in stunning parklands and vinyards will take you miles away from it all.Great walks - The estate has 200 acres of woodlands, fields and vineyards to be explored.Tennis - Court in nearby Castillon.Swimming Pool - Garden Pool.
Logis de la Cadene St Émilion (33330 Saint-Émilion) 8 rooms from £161Foodies - Houses one of the oldest restaurants in Saint-Emilion which is now a true institution, with young inventive chefs at the helmSights nearby - Climb the King’s Keep or the bell tower of the monolithic church for views of the townDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Romantic - Good for couples.
A charming hotel, in a medieval square, housing a celebrated restaurant. Elegant rooms are the epitome of french rustic-chic, with distressed wood, muted cream-grey palettes and sash windows. Its wisteria bedecked terrace, floaty pale fabrics and classical furniture create a soft romantic feel. See More
Hostellerie de la Plaisance St Émilion (Saint Emilion) 17 rooms from £205Foodies - Foodies will enjoy the exquisite food, which has been awarded 2 Michelin stars, and wine inspired by the surrounding produce.Great walks - This old stone monastery boasts lovely gardens for an after dinner stroll.Sights nearby - Visit the Monolith church about the Catacombs.Restaurant - Award-winning cuisineRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Gastronomic treats are in store at this luxury five-star country retreat. The interiors exude understated elegance with beautiful furniture, paintings, and neutral tones. The surrounding vineyards produce wonderful wines to go with award-winning cuisine. A spoiling retreat. See More
Le Relais de Franc Mayne St Émilion (Saint Emilion) 12 rooms from £191Country Escape - A gorgeous country house and working winery turned boutique hotel, set on a seven acre vineyard.Sights nearby - Enjoy the Romanesque churches and mediaeval ruins in St-Emilion, walking distance from the hotel.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Le Pavillon, St Émilion St Émilion 5 rooms from £217City Style - Set in a charming heritage townhouse with stylish rooms and a sit-out terrace, this hotel has lots of local Saint-Émilion styleRomantic Break - Couples love the relaxed atmosphere at this sophisticated wine hotel; book a couples' wine tasting at a local vineyardLocal exploring - Saint-Émilion is a great base for local exploring in the Bordeaux region, offering easy access to the best wineriesSights nearby - Stroll into town and visit the Church of Saint-Émilion, an underground limestone church dating back to the 12th century
This luxury B&B is nestled in Saint-Émilion, a wine rich region in southwest France. The lobby of the heritage property features a pretty spiral staircase, leading to well-appointed rooms with comfortable beds and cast-iron baths. Book a vineyard tour and wine tasting for an authentic experience. See More
Château du Palanquey St Émilion (Gironde) 5 rooms from £234Spa breaks - With an extensive and luxurious spa onsite and a tranquil countryside setting, book this hotel to unwind on your next holidayCountry Escape - Set within beautiful vineyards in the south of France, this hotel makes an idyllic escape to the countryRomantic Break - Couples rate this heritage hotel highly; book a couples' massage for a romantic evening inCooking classes - Take a cooking class at the hotel and learn how to prepare a range of gourmet dishes; enquire with your room reservationRecommended by - Tablet
This beautiful château hotel is nestled in the heart of the Saint Emilion vineyards. Boutique interiors have a blend of modern and vintage design pieces set against preserved heritage details. Indulge in a treatment at the spa after lunch by the pool for total relaxation in a spectacular setting. See More
Les Clefs de Troplong Mondot St Émilion 2 rooms from £321Romantic Break - Sumptuous rooms, pool, views of the vineyards, and their spoils.Wine tasting - Famous St. Emilion vineyard to taste from.LuxuryGreat walks - Walks through the vineyards.