Search the best hotels in St Émilion
About St Émilion
St.Emilion lies on the western limits of the Dordogne some 35k northeast of Bordeaux. The town (population 2000) traces its origins back to prehistory. Today it is most remarkable for and synonymous with some of the finest wines in the world.
It is now a UNESCO world heritage site and the best places to stay in St. Emilion offer the traveller a perfect base to soak in all of the diverse history and culture of the area.
What not to miss:
- The town is full of history. Starting from the town square and the Place de l’Eglise Monolithique one can enjoy coffee in the sunshine or wander the narrow streets that criss-cross the town – delve into the shops, boutiques and restaurants.
- For sightseers there is the Maison du Vin, the Bell Tower – with spectacular vistas over the town and surrounding vineyards, various Romanesque churches…
- Still much remains hidden from view; there are subterranean labyrinths of passages and rooms, a buried monolithic church and the grotto where St. Emilion lived.
- St. Emilion is also a great centre for exploring by bicycle, for those interested in their oenology and for a range of general culture vulturing activities.
The region is very busy during the peak summer months of July and August, so if you want to bag a bed in one of the best places to stay in St Emilion, you'll either have to book early or else plan your visit during the quieter periods, when you can really appreciate the place.
For a vineyard experience
- Chateau de Pitray is a picture-book chateau with a superb vineyard and delicious wines produced on site. There are four B&B rooms, each done in traditionally luxurious style with wooden floors and plenty of antiques. Plus you'll find a lovely outdoor pool and very helpful hosts.
- Les Clefs de Troplong Mondot is set in the heart of the extensive vineyards of the Chateau Troplong Mondot. Its two rooms each have their own unique and stylish décor with all mod cons. Wine tasting is available.
- Le Relais de Franc Mayne is a wine lover's dream. Set amid the vines just outside St Emilion. Rooms are individually themed from "Out of Africa" to "Pop Art". Don't forget to indulge in some free tasting!
For a chateau experience
- Chateau Grand Barrail is a beautiful 19th century chateau situated in a seven acre park and in the ‘right bank’ area of Bordeaux – in the heart of the wine producing area. This 46 room, four star hotel comes with gourmet restaurant and spa with an extensive array of ‘cinq mondes’ treatments. It is also pet friendly.
- Chateau de Castelneau is a serene spot just a couple of miles outside St. Émilion. Brimming with rustic charm and character, the chateau offers comfortable rooms, wine tours and beautiful rolling landscape.
- On the banks of the Dordogne, Chateau de Courtebotte is a stunning 17th century castle. Awash with historic charm, it features comfortable rooms, excellent dining and an outdoor pool and hot tub.
- Located in the centre of town, Hostellerie de la Plaisance is a unique and exceptional place where ‘beauty and gourmandise are like one’. Enjoy the hanging terrace and its wonderful views. Experience the epicurean delights of the stylish restaurant.
For Rural Charm
- Nestled amidst rolling vineyards, La Pignarderie is charming, intimate guesthouse. The individually decorated rooms are lovely and the hotel's pool is the perfect place to while away an afternoon. Sample the farms wine and enjoy the gorgeous rural surounds.
- 5 Lasserre is a contemporary B&B in the St Emilion region. Here you'll find three spacious rooms or a self catering apartment for those who prefer more independence. A chic, grown up spot just 12km from the town itself.
For an apartment or villa
- For those looking for somewhere to themselves, we recommend visiting our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to St. Émilion is Bordeaux (31 miles).
- A car is really useful when visiting St. Émilion and the surrounding countryside so we recommend visting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit St. Émilion is from May to October when the weather will be nice and the region looking beautiful.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in St Emilion.
- Or feel free to call or email one of our gurus for advice.
- Alternatively widen your search and check out all our properties in Bordeaux or the whole Dordogne region.
Monthly Weather in St Émilion
Best Hotels in St Émilion
Château de Pitray St Émilion (Gardegan) 4 rooms from £156Country Escape - A whimsical chateau in stunning parklands and vinyards will take you miles away from it all.Great walks - The estate has 200 acres of woodlands, fields and vineyards to be explored.Swimming Pool - Garden Pool.Views - Great views from hotel
Chateau de Courtebotte St Émilion 5 rooms from £91Sights nearby - The Château Rauzan and the Tower of Montaigne are close by.Kayaking - On the Dordogne River.Full of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
With panoramic views of the Dordogne River this 17th century castle is perfect for exploring the vineyards. All rooms are decorated in a country style with exposed wood floors and modern bathrooms. There is a hot tub, hot tub and pool and large grounds. A continental breakfast and dinner are served. See More
Clos 1906 St Émilion 5 rooms from £86Local exploring - Discover the historic sites, wineries and boutiques in the area surrounding the hotel, with plenty to explore locallyFoodies - The region where this hotel is located is great for foodies, with a number of Michelin-starred eateries in the areaCountry Escape - Set amidst the beautiful vineyards of Saint-Émilion, this hotel makes a stylish escape to the countrySights nearby - Visit the Monolithic Church of Saint-Émilion, an underground church carved from limestone starting in the 12th centuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This hotel is set in an 18th-century manor house nestled between some of the best vineyards in Saint-Émilion. Having undergone a full renovation, the bright guestrooms contrast contemporary concept headboards with selected antiques. A cosy sitting room and outdoor pool complete this chic bolt-hole. See More
La Pignarderie St Émilion 3 rooms from £117Total relaxation - Perfect for a relaxed holiday in Bordeaux, chill by the pool or head out on the wine trail!Local markets - Explore the local markets in Saint-Emilion and pick up some of the yummy regional produce!Sights nearby - Explore the medieval beauty of the nearby Saint-Emilion.Secluded setting - For escaping.
La Pignarderie is a charming historic guesthouse nestled amidst rolling vineyards. The individually decorated rooms are full of character and style, with ornate beds and classical artwork. Enjoy wine tasting at the hotel or relax by the pool. Perfect for a quiet, relaxing holiday in rural France. See More
5 Lasserre St Émilion 3 rooms from £117Country Escape - With only three bedrooms, miles of vineyards, gothic castles nearby and jazz concerts, enjoy getting away from it all hereSights nearby - 12km from Saint Emilion, listed as World Heritage by the UnescoViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Château du Palanquey St Émilion (Gironde) 5 rooms from £148Spa breaks - With an extensive and luxurious spa onsite and a tranquil countryside setting, book this hotel to unwind on your next holidayCountry Escape - Set within beautiful vineyards in the south of France, this hotel makes an idyllic escape to the countryRomantic Break - Couples rate this heritage hotel highly; book a couples' massage for a romantic evening inCooking classes - Take a cooking class at the hotel and learn how to prepare a range of gourmet dishes; enquire with your room reservationRecommended by - Tablet
This beautiful château hotel is nestled in the heart of the Saint Emilion vineyards. Boutique interiors have a blend of modern and vintage design pieces set against preserved heritage details. Indulge in a treatment at the spa after lunch by the pool for total relaxation in a spectacular setting. See More
Chateau Grand Barrail St Émilion 46 rooms from £175Foodies - Fantastic fine dining restaurant and excellent wine lists.Views - Stunning views over the vines and landscaped gardens.Romantic Break - Opulent rooms have silk drapes and four poster beds.Spa breaks - Top of the range spa facilities.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
An opulent chateau just outside Saint-Emilion. Four star luxury, though it feels more, includes lavish bedrooms with four poster beds, a top of the range spa with all the facilities, and a fantastic fine dining restaurant. Bikes, golf, tennis on site. Utterly gourmet, luxurious, and sophisticated. See More
Logis de la Cadene St Émilion (33330 Saint-Émilion) 8 rooms from £161Foodies - Houses one of the oldest restaurants in Saint-Emilion which is now a true institution, with young inventive chefs at the helmSights nearby - Climb the King’s Keep or the bell tower of the monolithic church for views of the townHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Local markets - Good for local colour.
A charming hotel, in a medieval square, housing a celebrated restaurant. Elegant rooms are the epitome of french rustic-chic, with distressed wood, muted cream-grey palettes and sash windows. Its wisteria bedecked terrace, floaty pale fabrics and classical furniture create a soft romantic feel. See More
Hostellerie de la Plaisance St Émilion (Saint Emilion) 17 rooms from £205Foodies - Foodies will enjoy the exquisite food, which has been awarded 2 Michelin stars, and wine inspired by the surrounding produce.Great walks - This old stone monastery boasts lovely gardens for an after dinner stroll.Sights nearby - Visit the Monolith church about the Catacombs.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Gastronomic treats are in store at this luxury five-star country retreat. The interiors exude understated elegance with beautiful furniture, paintings, and neutral tones. The surrounding vineyards produce wonderful wines to go with award-winning cuisine. A spoiling retreat. See More
Le Relais de Franc Mayne St Émilion (Saint Emilion) 12 rooms from £191Country Escape - A gorgeous country house and working winery turned boutique hotel, set on a seven acre vineyard.Sights nearby - Enjoy the Romanesque churches and mediaeval ruins in St-Emilion, walking distance from the hotel.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Le Pavillon St Émilion 5 rooms from £217City Style - Set in a charming heritage townhouse with stylish rooms and a sit-out terrace, this hotel has lots of local Saint-Émilion styleRomantic Break - Couples love the relaxed atmosphere at this sophisticated wine hotel; book a couples' wine tasting at a local vineyardLocal exploring - Saint-Émilion is a great base for local exploring in the Bordeaux region, offering easy access to the best wineriesSights nearby - Stroll into town and visit the Church of Saint-Émilion, an underground limestone church dating back to the 12th century
This luxury B&B is nestled in Saint-Émilion, a wine rich region in southwest France. The lobby of the heritage property features a pretty spiral staircase, leading to well-appointed rooms with comfortable beds and cast-iron baths. Book a vineyard tour and wine tasting for an authentic experience. See More
Les Clefs de Troplong Mondot St Émilion 2 rooms from £321Romantic Break - Sumptuous rooms, pool, views of the vineyards, and their spoils.Wine tasting - Famous St. Emilion vineyard to taste from.LuxuryGreat walks - Walks through the vineyards.