Search the best hotels in Lindau
Lindau is an island (and mainland city) on east Lake Constance in Germany's picturesque Bavaria. It lies very close to the German borders with both Switzerland and Austria. The best places to stay in Lindau make an ideal base for exploring the island, Lake Constance and the surrounding area.
Sat on the Lake in front of Austria’s Pfander mountain, Lindau is a big draw with sightseers and holidaymakers for its medieval town centre and picturesque position. Its pretty narrow streets and squares are perfect for strolling (and even losing yourself), and the harbour entrance is not to be missed with its iconic lighthouse which is open to visitors, and huge lion statue. Climb the 139 steps to the top of the lighthouse and you'll be rewarded with breathtaking views of Lake Constance, Lindau island and the alps beyond..
Lindau is at its best in spring and summer when the gardens are blooming. There's a dedicated garden culture trail which enables you to discover the best parks and gardens whilst soaking up some culture too.
What not to miss:
Visit the old churches of St Stephan (1180) or St Peter (c.1000).
Browse the many shops and restaurants on Maximilianstrasse, Lindau's main street
Try your hand in the Casino.
Enjoy a boat trip on the Lake.
Walk or cycle along the lake side
The best places to stay in Lindau get booked up well in adveance during the peak summer months, so if you want to be sure of a room, get organised and plan well ahead.
For a Gourmet Experience
- Villino is a luxury boutique hotel on the mainland just opposite the island. The place oozes style and sophistication and the restaurant is award winning. Cookery lessons and wine tastings with the sommelier are available. Perfect for foodies or simply those who want to explore the region from a sumptuous base.
- The Hotel Spiegel Garni is a charming, family-run hotel in the heart of Lindau with just seven smart, comfortable rooms - some of them family suites - plus a wonderful sit-out terrace with beautiful lake views. Rooms start from around £100 per night.
For an apartment or holiday home
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Lindau has direct rail Eurocity connections from Munich and Zurich, as well as regional rail services from Austria, other parts of Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. By air, fly to Friedrichshafen Airport which is easily accessible by rail.
- Best time to visit is during the summer months (May - September) when temperatures average around 20°C.
- If you plan to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Lindau
Hotel Spiegel Garni 7 rooms from £105Lindau
Charming family-run hotel in the heart of Lindau's island. The seven smart rooms are traditionally styled, most are spacious and comfortable with some offering seating areas where guests can relax. An excellent base for exploring Lindau and Lake Constance. Great value too.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Lindau Lighthouse.Local markets - Two minutes walk from Lindau Markt.Full of characterTraditional
Hotel Montfort Schlossle 5 rooms from £135Lindau
Overlooking Lindau and the surrounding lake, Montfort Schlossle is a tranquil, countryside hotel. Surrounded by leafy green trees and beautiful vistas, it's a great spot for a relaxing, romantic retreat.Sights nearby - Visit the interesting Lighthouse Lindau.Outstanding locationViews - Great views from hotel
Hotel Adara 16 rooms from £155Lindau
In the charming old town of Lindau, Hotel Adara is a boutique hotel and restaurant offering smartly designed, comfortable rooms which seamlessly blend period features and modern style. A great base from which to explore Lindau's historic town and the wider Lake Constance area.Local exploring - Right in the heart of Lindau, it's perfect for exploring the old town and the surrounding lake.Sights nearby - Visit the town's lighthouse as well as its town hall.Romantic - Good for couples.
Villino 16 rooms from £140Lindau
Fabulously located on the border of Austria, Germany and Switzerland, this is a luxury stop off point. Award-winning cuisine, boutique rooms and suites decorated with flair, cooking lessons, wine tasting, and a rejuvenating spa. Not far from the lake for all sorts of activities. Gourmet, romantic.Outstanding location - An amazing spot for travelling the region as Lindau sits at the crossroads of Germany, Austria and Switzerland.Foodies - Award-winning cuisine, cooking classes, and wine tasting from the sommelier.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.SpaRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel