Search the best hotels in Munich
With its carefully restored Bavarian architecture, pretty setting on a river-crossed plain in Upper Bavaria, high quality of life and reputation for producing great beer and sausages, Munich has a lot going for it. The city has a vast selection of hotels to suit all budgets, and our pick of the best places to stay in Munich features great value B&Bs and guesthouses as well as five star luxury properties which can claim to be amongst the finest in Europe.
Where To Stay - which neighbourhood?
- If you're here for the culture then most of Munich's museums are in the centre of town, the Altstadt. Accommodation may be fairly pricey though so consider staying nearby in Schwabing-West or the city's West End, Schwanthalerhöhe.
- Schwabing is the ideal base for those wanting to get stuck into the city's bustling nightlife.
- The Alstadt is where most of Munich's business takes place, so stay near here if you're visiting on work.
If you’re more interested in the beer and sausage fuelled nightlife, be sure to come for Oktoberfest in September and October.
If on the other hand you enjoy architecture, museums and less raucous entertainments, come at any other time! The city’s motto is ‘München mag dich’ (Munich Loves You.).
What Not To Miss
- Spend an afternoon wandering around the English Garden (or Englischer Garten), a 900-acre park with 78km of hiking and cycling trails as well as a Greek temple, Chinese pagoda and Japanese tea house. Plus, there's even a beer garden - the perfect place to stop off for a refreshing libation or two!
- Take in the stunning architecture at Marienplatz and watch the various street performers as you grab a coffee in a bustling cafe or sit down for lunch at a restaurant. One of the city's main spots, this is a great base from which to start your explorations.
- Germany is well known for its automobile industry, and perhaps no company is more emblematic than BMW. Head over to the BMW Museum and learn all about the technical developments of its cars and motorbikes. With a wide range of vehicles on show (including Minis and Rolls-Royces amongst the BMWs), this is a super spot even if you're not a petrol head!
- Sports fans will love a trip around the Allianz Arena, home to the city's famous FC Bayern Munich. Their tour guides all speak English and they'll take you round the locker room, trophy cabinet, press room and tunnel entrance. Or, even better, head along and watch a match - you'll be truly blown away by the atmosphere!
- Nymphenburg Palace is brimming with architectural splendour (from a variety of classical periods) and breathtakingly ornate interiors. This magnificent palace also boasts extensive gardens, a lovely spot in which to enjoy a picnic.
- Come in December and get into the Christmas spirit. Munich hosts not just one, but several atmospheric Christmas markets, spread throughout the city centre.
This city is a popular destination year round, both with business and leisure travellers. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Munich, don't leave it till the last minute.
The Best Places to Stay in Munich
For top end luxury
- Book a room at the Mandarin Oriental Munich for guaranteed luxury, superb service, wonderful food and a fabulous location. The attention to detail here is second to none - it offers a truly five star experience.
- Hotel Splendid Dollmann is a townhouse turned chic hotel, with elegantly traditional accommodation harking back to another era. This charming property is also superbly located for exploring all that the city has to offer.
- The Hotel Munchen Palace combines classical style with contemporary features, and has lovely rooms with creamy furnishings and private balconies, as well as a good restaurant. Subtle yet luxurious.
- Hotel Konigshof is a sumptuous stay, offering romantic traditional accommodation, a Michelin starred restaurant and a wonderfully central location. A divine city spot.
- The opulent Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski is a stunning 5* stay complete with elegant accommodation, a splendid spa, private butlers and limousines if you so wish!
For those on a budget
If you're feeling the pinch, we think that the best places to stay in Munich are our choices slightly out of the centre of town.
- The Laimer Hof is a charming 19th century villa turned B&B in the heart of a quiet residential district, which has been welcoming guests since 1937. Family run, it offers twenty-three fresh, simply decorated bedrooms, each slightly different.
- The Hotel Schrenkhof is a modern alpine style chalet with 17 bedrooms - all decked out in Tyrolean style. The welcome is very warm and it offers accommodation at excellent value.
For sleek and contemporary styling
- Anna Hotel is perfect for those who appreciate good design. Its interiors are sophisticated, there's an excellent restaurant and a trendy bar. Some of the suites have a private balcony.
- Flushing Meadows is a chic, boutique property with large loft suites. The interior design is stylishly eclectic, whilst you can take in the wonderful Alpine views from the private balconies.
- The Cortiina Hotel offers chic sophistication with parquet floors, killim rugs and faux fireplaces. Plus, there's a lively bar that's one of the city's hotspots - what's not to love?
- The Louis Hotel offers homely accommodation with pine floors, killim rugs and earthy tones. Their Japanese restaurant is to die for, whilst the bar has a daily changing cocktail menu for you to enjoy.
For Business Trips
- Hotel La Maison is a contemporary spot offering simple yet chic accommodation. With its own extensive business centre and well located in the north of the city, it's a great option for those in Munich on business.
- Charles Hotel, Munich is a contemporary 5* property. With elegant accommodation and an extensive spa, there's also an excellent Italian restaurant that you'll fall in love with.
- The Bayerischer Hof Munich is a truly fabulous stay. The rooms are luxurious, there's a rooftop spa, a private cinema and a nightclub. What's more, there are no less than six restaurants to choose from, including the Michelin-starred Atelier.
For An Apartment
- If you think you'd prefer a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Munich Airport, is 29 km northeast of the city. A number of airlines fly directly from London, Dublin, Edinburgh and Cardiff including, among others: Easyjet, Lufthansa, KLM, British Airways, Ryanair, Air France and Vueling. From the airport, you can easily hop on a train or a bus to the city centre.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Whilst the weather is nicest during the summer months, this is peak tourist season and so expect there to be many tourists and for accommodation to be on the pricier side of things. Visiting between March and May may be your best bet if you want to avoid the crowds, though it's quite a bit chillier at this time of year. Low season is technically the winter months, but December and January can still be fairly busy and the temperature hovers around 0°C - so remember to pack a warm coat!
Still Not Sure Where To Book?
Best Hotels in Munich
Hotel Laimer Hof Munich (Nymphenburg) 23 rooms from £56Value chicCity StyleFamiliesSights nearby - A short walk from the Nymphenburg PalaceRecommended by - Frommers
Hotel M120 Munich (D-85774 Unterföhring) 20 rooms from £77Families - With spacious apartments and family suites kitted out with a kitchenette, this is a great choice for a family with kidsLocal markets - Wander around the enticing Viktualienmarkt, Munich's main food marketSights nearby - Visit the ornate Asam Church and the Neues Rathaus town hallRomantic - Good for couples.
A smart, attractive aparthotel with self-catering units. Bright rooms have large windows, soft grey hues, light wooden floors and simple contemporary furniture. Suites offer a well-equipped kitchenette and there's a traditional Bavarian restaurant belonging to the property down the road. See More
25 Hours Royal Bavarian Munich (Ludwigsvorstadt) 165 rooms from £90Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Frauenkirche and Marienplatz & Town Hall.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Spa
Smart, modern hotel in the centre of Munich with comfortable rooms, an excellent restaurant and on-site spa facilities. As you'd expect from the 25 Hours brand, interiors are quirky and range from single box rooms to exotic suites. A great affordable choice for a city break in a lively part of town. See More
Hotel La Maison Munich from £99Sights nearby - Muenchner Freiheit, English Garden, and Chinesischer Turm.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
A contemporary hotel with an excellent business centre in Northern Munich. Sophisticated rooms and suites in blacks, whites and chromes have all the mod cons. Cosy bar, conference facilities and well located to get to the attractions. A great choice for business visitors. See More
Cocoon Hauptbahnhof Munich (80336 München) 103 rooms from £86Local exploring - This centrally located hotel is a lovely quirky base from which to enjoy the citySights nearby - There are lovely churches worth visiting such as the Theatine Church, Frauenkirche and the opulent Asam ChurchLocal markets - Wander around the tantalising stalls of Viktualienmarkt, one of the city's main food marketsLively area - In the thick of the action.
Gasthof Neuwirt Munich (85774 Unterföhring) 50 rooms from £86Local exploring - A lovely inn and hotel close to Munich ideal for exploring both the city and the surrounding regionSights nearby - Head to Munich to visit iconic sights such as the Munich Residenz Palace and the Neues Rathaus town hallGreat walks - Go for a walk in the nearby countryside to sample some rustic Bavarian charmLocal markets - Wander around the weekly market and sample some local produce
A charming family-run hotel with a restaurant serving delicious local Bavarian fare. Interiors feature lots of Swiss-pine panelling giving a contemporary yet traditional feel, and this aesthetic continues into the bedrooms. Some rooms have multiple beds, great for families or groups. See More
Ruby Lilly Hotel Munich 174 rooms from £90City Style - Explore Munich in style from this beautiful hotel in a superb central locationRestrictions on children - Adult onlyDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Lively area - In the thick of the action.
A sleek design hotel offering generous breakfasts and boasting a swanky 70's-style 24 hour bar. Cosy rooms feature great city views and a sleek minimal aesthetic, with a pale palette and luxurious wood paneling along the lower walls. A hip city launchpad ideal for the young and sophisticated. See More
Flushing Meadows Munich from £91Roof terrace - Roof top terrace bar with a wood-fired oven and a delicious drinks menu.City StyleDesigner - Spatial industrial style renovated with cutting egde eclecticism.Lively - The bar is a lively spot.Recommended by - Design Hotels, Tablet
A designer chic boutique with spacious loft studio suites. A very cool industrial space conversion decorated with stylish eclecticism. Suites have private balconies, views of the Alps and all the mod cons. A lively roof-top terrace bar is a popular spot. A great choice for a young couple. See More
Bavaria Boutique Hotel Munich (80339 München) 50 rooms from £95Local exploring - This is an ideal spot away from the hustle and bustle yet a short distance from the attractions in the centreGreat walks - Wander around the very large and picturesque Englischer Garten, where you can observe the impressive Eisbach river surfersLocal markets - Browse vintage goods at the Midnightbazar, Munich's buzzing night-time flea marketRomantic - Good for couples.
Schwabinger Wahrheit by Geisel Munich 80 rooms from £111Local exploring - This hotel in its super central location is a great choice for those wanting easy access to the city's sights and attractionsGreat walks - Go for a lovely stroll in the large Englischer Garten just down the roadSights nearby - Head to the iconic Neues Rathaus town hall and the buzzing nearby areaLively area - In the thick of the action.
Das Nikolai Hotel Munich 25 rooms from £121Local exploring - Boasting a prime location this original hotel is an ideal launchpad for exploring the cityGreat walks - Stroll through the Englischer Garten, one of the world’s largest urban parksSights nearby - Visit the Munich Residenz, a magnificent royal palaceLively area - In the thick of the action.
A fine hotel set in a historic building located in a handy central spot. There is a small, cosy bar area ideal for relaxing after an active day sightseeing or for having a tipple before heading out to dinner. Elegant rooms feature mod-cons and comfy beds, with attractive parquet floors. Delightful! See More
Hotel Stadt Rosenheim Munich 51 rooms from £124Local exploring - In a prime central location ideal for exploring the city's attractionsLocal markets - Kick off the day at Munich’s most famous foodie market, the ViktualienmarktGreat walks - Stroll around the Glockenbachviertel, the city’s prettiest districtLively area - In the thick of the action.
A chic hotel offering an individual and stylish stay in a very central location. Rooms, recently renovated, are individually designed offering a perfect mix of traditional and contemporary styles. The honesty bar is a nice personal touch. A handy city launchpad to suit varied tastes. See More
Hotel Splendid Dollmann Munich (Thierschstraße 49) 36 rooms from £130Local exploring - A super central location, right in the heart of the historic old town and within walking distance of restaurants and shops.Sights nearby - The Bavarian State Opera and Munich Kammerspiele, Residenz Palace and Haus der Kunst are all within walking distance.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Cortiina Hotel Munich 75 rooms from £138Lively - The bar is one of Munich's hotspots.City StyleSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Roomers Munich Munich 280 rooms from £139City Style - A luxurious hotel in the centre ideal for stylish city slickersGreat walks - Stroll around the Glockenbachviertel, one of the city’s most picturesque areasLocal markets - Browse the vintage wares at the indoor night-time flea market MidnightbazarViews - Great views from hotel
A luxurious design-led modern hotel boasting a popular fine-dining restaurant and a swanky bar. The decor downstairs is dark and sultry with dim lighting and plush fabrics. While , elegant rooms are classic and timeless with whitewashed walls, high ceilings and modern art. A sophisticated stay. See More
H'Otello B'01 Munich (80469 München) 56 rooms from £140City Style - Stylish accommodation ideal for city slickersLocal markets - Wander around the colourful stalls of Viktualienmarkt, one of the city's main food marketsGreat walks - Stroll around the idyllic and very large Englischer GartenDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
This swish design-led hotel set in the trendy Glockenbach area. Rooms are decorated in soft greys with hip retro-modern furniture and indulgent bathrooms. The equally cool Grey's bar serves cocktails that they boast to be the best in the neighbourhood (we don't disagree!). A chic city launchpad. See More
Hotel Munchen Palace Munich 74 rooms from £141Local exploring - An excellent base for exploring the city. Perfect for a luxury city breakLuxury - A classic luxury hotel with contemporary elements.Roof terraceSights nearby - Close to Prinzregenten Theater and the Munich Philharmonic.Recommended by - Tablet
A beautiful hotel in classical style with contemporary elements. Sumptuous rooms and suites have creamy furnishings, subtle lighting and private balconies. Lovely roof top terrace deck, good restaurant, and a lively bar, plus fitness suite and spa. For those who like subtle luxury. See More
Excelsior by Geisel Munich 114 rooms from £144City Style - A stylish hotel from which to discover this buzzing citySights nearby - Visit the iconic town hall, 'Neues Rathaus' and St Peter’s Church for some great views and artworkGreat walks - Wander around the idyllic and enormous Englischer GartenRomantic - Good for couples.
A smart hotel in a handy central spot with a restaurant and an Alpine-style bar featuring Swiss-pine fittings. The luxurious lounge has classically elegant furniture, sumptuous furnishings and fine artwork. The attractive bedrooms are tastefully simple; a sophisticated choice. See More
Platzl Hotel Munich (80331 München) 167 rooms from £161Local exploring - In an enviable location bang in the centre, a great base from which to explore the city with easeSights nearby - Visit the iconic town hall 'Neues Rathaus', and St Peter’s Church for some great views and artworkLocal markets - Wander around the enticing Viktualienmarkt, Munich's main food marketLively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Fodors
This established hotel has recently undergone a makeover maintaining its traditional style while giving it a fresh contemporary feel. Rooms feature pine furniture, whitewashed walls and steel grey hues. Boasting an excellent fine-dining restaurant serving superb Bavarian fare. See More
Louis Hotel Munich 72 rooms from £161Foodies - Fantastic Japanese restaurant.Local markets - Right next to the Viktualienmarkt, one of Europe's best.Sights nearby - Right in the centre of town.Recommended by - Tablet
Hotel Konigshof Munich 71 rooms from £165Foodies - Michelin restaurant.Good wine list - Famed wine cellar.LuxuryCity Style
Hotel Schrenkhof Munich 17 rooms from £181Local exploring - A traditional styled property just 15 minutes from Munich city centre.Local markets - Visit the enormous farmer's market, Viktualienmarkt.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.TraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Traditional Bavarian charm away from the bustle. A modern Alpine chalet with quintessential decoration - wooden panelled bedrooms with handsomely carved wooden beds. The breakfast room carries on the same theme, plus a pretty a Renaissance tiled stove. A really cosy spot. See More
Andaz Munich Schwabinger Tor Munich (80804 München) 277 rooms from £191City Style - A luxurious central hotel ideal for exploring the city in styleGreat walks - Stroll around the Glockenbachviertel, the city’s prettiest districtLocal markets - Browse the wares at indoor night flea market MidnightbazarSwimming Pool - Indoor poolRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
A gorgeous modern hotel in the heart of the city with a fine-dining restaurant. Downstairs, the bar and lounge combine swanky design and homely modern comforts with retro style furniture and grey hues. Large rooms have blissful sink-into beds and big bathtubs; the indulgent spa seals the deal! See More
Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich 298 rooms from £243Spa breaks5* Luxury - Very high service standards.FoodiesCity Style
Anna Hotel Munich 75 rooms from £266City Style - A contemporary boutique hotel in Karlstor, with chic teak flooring, black granite details and design furnishings.Great walks - Take a stroll down to the nearby Hellabrunn zoo, great for kids.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the imposing Frauenkirche church.SpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Michelin Travel, Tablet
Reasonable rates at a colourful, boutique-esque hotel with sophisticated designer edges. Modern paintings, sculptures and jazzy coloured lights create sleek interior spaces. Fantastic views of the city from the top suites, to be enjoyed from two private balconies. Trendy restaurant and bar too. See More
Charles Hotel, Munich Munich 160 rooms from £351Foodies - Excellent Italian restaurant.City Style5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Short walk or metro ride from all the major attractionsRecommended by - Tablet
Beyond by Geisel Munich 19 rooms from £373Local exploring - Perfectly located for exploring the city on foot, set on the Marienplatz across from the New Town HallGreat walks - Stroll around the picturesque Englischer GartenDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Lively area - In the thick of the action.
Bayerischer Hof Munich 220 rooms from £425Spa breaks - The iconic spa has a 13,000-square-foot rooftop spa offers a pool, saunas, steam bath, sun deck and fitness studio.Foodies - Six restaurants including Michelin-starred Atelier.City Style - One of Munich's most legendary hotels.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Tablet, Michelin Travel
One of Europe's finest hotels. An iconic FIve Star in central Munich. Luxury on a grand scale includes sumptuous rooms and suites (with terraces, spa, views), multiple restaurants including a Michelin starred, roof top spa, private cinema, night club, and lively bars. For the luxury traveller. See More
Mandarin Oriental Munich Munich 73 rooms from £456City StyleSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolSpa - Turkish bathTraditionalRecommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Five stars for luxury, service, location and food at this stunning city hotel. Outstandingly situated next to a hive of cultural activities. Immaculate contemporary, but subtle, decoration with Asian influences. Unrivalled views from the rooftop pool and a Michelin-starred restaurant. Magnificent. See More