Search the best hotels in Trier
A charming city on the banks of the Moselle, Trier is a wonderful destination for a cultural break in Germany. Popular with students and history buffs, this is a lively city with a plethora of museums and galleries, as well as excellent restaurants and bars. There is a range of accommodation options available in Trier, from simple guesthouses and B&Bs to luxurious hotels located in historic buildings and design hotels with gourmet dining. Many of the best places to stay in Trier are close to the city centre, ideal for getting out and exploring on foot.
Trier’s Roman heritage is striking. The imposing Porta Nigra — one of the best preserved Roman city gates in Europe — is a must-see, as are the imposing ruins of the ancient city walls. The huge Cathedral of St Peter dominates the old town, whilst the nearby Basilica of St Constantine is also well worth visiting. The Moselle Valley Wine Route is close by, and there are many vineyards to visit within easy reach of the city — great for a day trip.
For an insight into contemporary German life, head to the bustling market square or take a guided walking tour of the old town with a local expert. There’s also excellent theatre, music and dance at the Kastellet Cultural Centre, which has regular exhibitions and events throughout the year. Families will find plenty to do at the Trier Zoo or at one of the many fun parks in and around Trier.
Whether you’re travelling as a family or as a couple looking to unwind on your own, Trier offers an appealing blend of culture and countryside. Book a room at one of the best places to stay in Trier and start discovering!
The best places to stay in Trier
For a central location
- Hotel Zur Glocke is a charming property in the pedestrianised, historic centre of town. It's a beautiful building (dating back to 1567) which comprises just 18 rooms ranging from doubles to stunning suites with cathedral views, and a pub style restaurant serving local cuisine.
For city views
- Hotel Villa Hugel is perched up in an elevated location and so enjoys fantastic views (especially from the pool terrace where the vista extends from the Imperial Baths to the Constantine Basilica) over the city. As well as the 45 comfortable rooms and suites, book this place for its excellent facilities including gourmet restaurant, indoor and outdoor pools and sauna.
- Any foodie visiting Trier simply has to book Becker's. As well as offering a range of modern rooms and suites, it hosts a two michelin starred restaurant (Trier's only Michelin starred establishment) and a wine bar for more relaxed dining.
- Situated just outside the centre of town, the Eurener Hof offers quality accommodation in a quieter location. Rooms are a good mix of contemporary and traditional features with plenty of wood in evidence, plus three different dining options and a wellness area with saunas, steamroom and indoor pool.
For a holiday apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering property, you'll find a full range with our online partner Booking.com
- Luxembourg Airport is the closest to Trier, but Frankfurt is another good option. From either of these you can arrange a transfer or book train or bus onward. Trier is well connected by train to Saarbrucken, Koblenz and Cologne.
- If you wish to explore further afield we recommend you look into hiring a car with our partner Rentalcars.
- The climate in Trier is mild, but as with many European cities the best time to visit is during the warm summer months when the average daily highs are around 18°C. Winters are chilly, with temperatures around freezing, whilst Spring and Autumn can be very pleasant both in terms of weather and prices!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search and include our recommendations in Rhineland-Palatinate
- Venture across the border and find out about properties in Luxembourg
- Contact one of our friendly gurus for some personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Trier
Best Hotels in Trier
Hotel Eurener Hof Trier 69 rooms from £95Local exploring - Well located in the centre of Germany's oldest city and within striking distance of many of its attractions.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Trier Cathedral or the famed Port Nigra.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Romantic - Good for couples.
A historic building centrally located in an equally historic city. Atmospheric rooms feature French doors leading onto private terraces, parquet flooring and exposed beams. A cosy restaurant serves regional cuisine paired with an exemplary wine list. Great for city exploring. Utterly charming. See More
Hotel Villa Hugel Trier 34 rooms from £115Foodies - The restaurant serves up highly regarded regional cuisine with a contemporary touch, alongside an excellent wine list.Local exploring - Well placed next to Trier's historic city centre and within walking distance of the sights and attractions.Great walks - Scenic nature-paths and rambling routes start straight from outside the hotel.Sailing - Take a romantic cruise along the Moselle or the Saar.
A 4 star luxury hotel with an enviable location perched-a-high above Trier. Art Nouveau style throughout, with elegant rooms boasting large private balconies. The sauna area and pool are perfect for unwinding. Find stunning regional cuisine in the restaurant. A spoiling base for city exploring. See More
Becker's Trier 17 rooms from £130Foodies - Hotel hosts two restaurants - one of which is a 2-Michelin starred spotSights nearby - Trier Roman Amphitheatre is nearbyRestaurant - Two restaurantsRecommended by - Design Hotels
A wonderful fusion of tradition and contemporary design in this hotel. Modern rooms feature dark wood floors, sleek bathrooms and leather accents. Dine in the 2-Michelin starred hotel restaurant or from the relaxed menu in the Weinbar. Wine tasting available. A delicious and chic choice. See More
Hotel Zur Glocke Trier 18 rooms from £174Great walks - Discover the beautiful landscape on one of the award-winning hiking trails e.g. Moselsteig or EifelsteigLocal exploring - Ideal for exploring the treasures of Germany's oldest town including Roman remains and Karl Marx's houseFoodies - The restaurants serve delicious local fare prepared exclusively with fresh regional productsRomantic Break - The perfect ambience for a romantic getaway
This charming 19th-century inn in Trier - Germany's oldest city - offers nine romantic rooms, all different, with antiques, wooden beams and divinely comfortable beds. The ancient town has layers of history to explore. Out of town, the pretty Moselle Valley beckons cyclists, walkers and wine buffs. See More