Search the best hotels in Amorgos
Amorgos has the bright, sparkling waters, whitewashed windmills, labyrinthine villages and pretty fishing ports considered the treasures of the Cyclades. Our pick of the best places to stay in Amorgos are ideally located both close to the beach, yet just outside a quiet village.
But this island is much more than just a great beach holiday destination, it's also got some fascinating historical and archaeological sites, exceptionally beautiful hiking in the mountainous, cloud-scraping interior, a burgeoning rock climbing scene and great diving and snorkelling - this was one of the settings for Luc Besson's film The Big Blue.
Amorgos is a tiny island, around 30kms across at its longest point, but its highest mountains reach over 800metres, and the cliffs on the southeast coast soar steeply over 400metres themselves.
Hora is the capital, a timeless place sitting on a ridge above the main port and town of Katapola below. At the top of town is the 13th-century kastro and a sprinkling of windmills, and along the winding streets you'll discover some quite trendy bars and shops, as well as the beautiful Cycladian village views at every turn.
Between Hora and Katapola is Amorgos's most famous sight, the wonderful Moni Mozoviotissa, a working monastery embedded into the cliff face. Though it seems almost impossible that it's here at all, this monastery was built in the 11th Century. One of the few remaining monks will give you a tour - usually when there's enough people gathered at the tiny green door.
It's wonderful, and free, though donations are appreciated. The monastery's pride and joy is a Virgin Mary icon, which apparently appeared in the sea below the cliffs, miraculously transported in an unmanned boat from Palestine.
The Big Blue was filmed at the nearest beach to Hora and Katapola, Agia Anna, which is actually a string of pebbly beaches.
Amorgos is possibly even more lovely out of season, when the winter sun is less scorching and there's hardly anyone else exploring the trails, or visiting the monastery. But not all of the tavernas or the best places to stay in Amorgos are open all year, so the shoulder seasons are probably your best bet if you like the idea of having the place to yourself.
What Not To Miss
- Hora's Archaeology Museum, housing some of the island's most fascinating historical artefacts, is a great place to spend a few hours.
- The famous Moni Mozoviotissa is an absolute must-visit!
- Wander around the charmingly picturesque village of Chora - be sure to remember your camera.
Don't forget that if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Amorgos in the peak summer months, you'll have to plan well ahead. The Greek islands are always busy at this time of year.
The best places to stay in Amorgos
For a classically Cycladic stay
- Lakki Village is in a wonderful spot, just outside a charming village and above a long sandy, shallow-water beach. Its collection of bungalows and apartments have plenty of charm as well - Cycladic cottages with blue woodwork and whitewashed walls, a lovely pool and flower-filed garden. Perfect for families, and easily one of the best places to stay in Amorgos for people looking for peace and relaxation in an idyllic Cycladic setting.
on a budget
- Emprostiada Guest House oozes Cycladic charm - complete with white walls, blue furnishings, and the sights of Chora on your doorstep. A lovely retreat, with rooms starting from just £44 per night!
- Aegialis Hotel & Spa is a 5* stay boasting stunning ocean views. Tuck into splendid cuisine at their two restaurants or unwind in their extensive spa facilities.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd like the flexibility of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, plan your visit for the summer months - with the average temperature rising to 27°C in July and August.
- This, however, is peak season, so consider coming in the spring or autumn if you fancy a quieter and cheaper alternative.
- You can fly into Naxos Airport before taking a ferry across to Amorgos.
- If you'd like the freedom of having a car then check out the selection available with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Take another look at our list of all the best places to stay on Amorgos
- Alternatively, check out all our Cyclades recommendations
- Or, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice
Monthly Weather in Amorgos
Best Hotels in Amorgos
Emprostiada Guest House Chora, Amorgos 11 rooms from £43Beach Life - Amorgos has an abundance of beaches for you to explore and enjoy at your leisure.Value chic - Traditional Grecian stay in style at a great priceSights nearby - Visit Chora's 13th century castle, or the Byzantine churches.Full of character
In the heart of the Aegean the Emprostiada is the ideal island getaway. The guest house is designed in the classic Cycladic white-wash, adding to the idyllic rooms quiet and calming features. Local restaurants are close by and this quiet island's many beaches are yours to explore as you please. See More
Lakki Village Amorgos 10 rooms from £56Great walks - Up the hills or along the sea front.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolViews - Great views from hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Sand between your toes just outside a gorgeous white island village. Shallow waters and long beaches make it ideal for young families. Enjoy the luxuries of a pool, restaurant and bar on site. Rooms are breezy and comfortable - barefoot seaside fun with its own great taverna. See More
Aegialis Hotel & Spa Aegiali, Amorgos 49 rooms from £108Total relaxation - The ideal island escape for an indulgent holiday, with deluxe suites, yummy food and an extensive spa.Local exploring - A ten minute walk up the cliffs edge from Katapola village and the beach.Diving - The crystal clear waters along this stretch of coast provide ample opportunity for scuba diving.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating Monastery of Hozoviotissa.Recommended by - Tablet
A delightful five-star hotel on the peaceful, picturesque island of Amorgos. The luxurious rooms offer spectacular views across a quiet bay, to the island’s volcanic mountains. With two excellent restaurants and an extensive spa, it's perfect for a relaxing holiday in the sun. See More
Vorina Ktismata Amorgós, Amorgos 5 rooms from £156Families - The self-catering suites can accommodate up to four people and are great for families travelling with childrenRomantic Break - The bright, contemporary rooms and beautiful natural setting make this a perfect couples' getawayCountry Escape - This guesthouse offers panoramic views of the mountains and the coast; a unique country escapeSights nearby - Visit the stunning Monastery of Hozoviotissa, the second oldest monastery in Greece built into a cliffside 300m above sea
This luxury guesthouse is located on Amorgos, the easternmost island in the Cyclades. The accommodation is made up of five apartments including two generously sized suites, all with COCO-MAT beds; the best suite offers a veranda and pergola with panoramic sea views. A unique and tranquil bolt-hole. See More