Search the best hotels in Ithaca
Ithaca is almost two islands - it's two large bodies of land joined by a narrow strip and has sheer cliffs for dramatic views, olive groves for rural ones and plenty of choice when it comes to sea views. Vathi is the island's main town. And if you're looking for a large, possibly swanky, hotel, then this is one of the best places to stay on Ithaca. Vathi is also where you'll find the Archaeological Museum and the Folkloric Museum.
Ithaca has one of the world's largest natural harbours, rocky mountains and a selection of beautiful beaches; ranging from smooth and sandy sweeps to perfectly pebbled paradises you can only reach by boat.
It is most famous for being the home of Odysseus. The lovely island on which his long-suffering wife, Penelope waited for him.
Unfortunately, archaeologists and historians are no longer certain this was Odysseus's home. While the island does a roaring trade off the back of it, offering archaeological tours to sites from the Odyssey, and labelling many products with his name, there's now some debate that the description doesn't quite match up.
Whatever the truth, there's proof that this island has been inhabited for the past 6,000 years, and it has ancient caves, abandoned mountaintop villages and Byzantine churches to prove it and the best places to stay on Ithaca.
Not To Miss
- Explore the mountainous regions, cypress forests and olive groves by hiking or biking.
- Find your very own sandy sanctuary as you sea kayak around the island.
- Or, get under the waves scuba diving or snorkelling around the clean coastal waters.
- For somewhere traditionally picturesque head to Kioni, in the island's north. It is a smaller village, but still well set up for visitors.
- If you like your seafood and your sailing, Frikes is still a fishing village, so the seafood is fresh as can be, and it has good marina facilities.
- Perahori is one of the best places to stay on Ithaca for hikers. This charming little village has wonderful views over the island and is the starting point for some of the island's best walks.
As always, be sure to book ahead in the busy summer months as the best places to stay on Ithaca get quickly filled up.
For romantic chic
- The Perantzada hotel is a sophisticated art hotel situated in Vathi. The all-white rooms and suites ooze class and boast private balconies which have wonderful views over Vathi Bay.
For rustic relaxation
- The Levendis Estate is an ideal choice for families (accommodation is in two bedroom cottages spread around the estate), and is one of the best places to stay in Ithaca for those looking for an eco-friendly yet luxurious holiday away from the madding crowds.
For A Beach Break
- Captain Yiannis Hotel is an unfussy spot offering simple apartments with their own kitchenettes. The property boasts splendid views of the Ionian Sea and you're just minutes from the beach - ideal if you want to spend your days soaking up the sun.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Ithaca's obviously nicest weather-wise in the summer, with the average daily temperature rising to 27°C in August.
- This however is peak tourist season so expect the island to be fairly busy and for accommodation to be on the more expensive side of things.
- For a quieter cheaper alternatives, consider visiting in May, September or October.
- International visitors can fly into Kefalonia Airport before then getting a ferry across to Ithaca.
- Unfortunately there are no direct flights to Kefalonia from the UK so you'll need to changeover at least once, usually in Athens.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ithaca
Captain Yiannis Hotel Vathi, Ithaca 23 rooms from £65Weddings - Their pool side space is an ideal spot for a small wedding celebration or a birthday partyLocal exploring - Ideally located, close by to the beaches and the town areaFamilies - Apartments are ideal for families for long or short staysBeach nearby - A short walk from the Loutsa Beach
This cute, comfortable and cosy property has apartments, rooms and suites offering wonderful views of the Ionian Sea. Decor is simple yet artistic and includes a sitting area, well equipped kitchenettes and private balconies. Breakfast and light snacks by the poolside are available too. See More
Perantzada Hotel Vathi, Ithaca 19 rooms from £100Views - Great views over Vathy BayRomantic BreakHoneymoonsSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Levendis Estate Stavros, Ithaca 4 rooms from £309Back to NatureViews - Great views from hotelHoneymoonsFamiliesRecommended by - I Escape