Search the best hotels in Leros
Traditional home to at least one God, Leros is a wonderful island for worship of all sorts. From religious, in one of its smattering of beautiful Greek Orthodox churches, to sun, on one of its secluded beaches. Our favourite amongst the best places to stay in Leros is a beautiful ten bedroomed villa ideally located to make the most of both the island's sights and beaches.
The god in question is Artemis, who's Goddess of the Hunt, and you can really imagine her against this slightly wild landscape. Riding out on the hillsides, resting in the lush valleys and taking shelter in one of the Mediterranean's best natural harbours.
Lakki is the name of the port town now sitting on this harbour, with its perfectly scooped mouth, closed all but 500metres. The island's capital, Agia Marina, is three kilometres north. A collection of neoclassical buildings, and little white, boxy houses, in amongst narrow alleys leading from the sea to the top of the hill, where there are the remains of a Byzantine castle.
Agia Marina has some quite nice beaches, and a pretty marina, as does Lakki, but to experience the real power of this island it's nice to stay outside of the main towns. There are a number of very charming seaside villages, where you'll find many of the best places to stay in Leros - consider Alinda or Partheni - and the interior, dotted with its windmills and churches, has a number of quite secluded guesthouses and resorts.
Aside from relaxing, and appreciating the relics of the Byzantine era, the crusaders and the Turks, Leros is a great place for walking, fishing, sailing, visiting markets - there are three traditional markets - and eating.
What not to miss
- The Deposito Di Guerra - War Material Museum and the Leros War Museum are both fascinating places to spend a few hours.
- The Virgin of Panteli Castle is a splendid place to visit - be sure to remember your camera!
- Alternatively, check out The Castle of Panagia.
- The island has a number of wonderful beaches, but Dio Liskaria and Agia Kioura are both noteworthy places to go soak up the sun.
Don't forget that Leros will be busy during the peak summer months. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Leros during July or August, you'll need to get organised and book early.
The best places to stay in Leros
For a characterful retreat
- Just outside charming Alinda is the Archontiko Angelou, a beautiful pink and white villa built in 1895, while Leros was under Turkish rule. It was a family holiday home up until the 1970s, when it was converted into a ten-room traditional villa hotel. Not far from some of Leros's best beaches, this is a peaceful getaway in its own extensive grounds.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer the flexibility of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- For the best weather visit Leros during the summer - the average temperature rises to 27°C in July and August.
- You can fly into Athens Airport before catching a connection to Leros Airport.
- If you'd like the freedom of having a car with you then check out the selection available with our partner, Rentalcars.
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay on Leros.
- Alternatively, check out our full list of recommendations in the Dodecanese.
- Or, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Leros
Best Hotels in Leros
Archontiko Angelou Leros 10 rooms from £59Country Escape - A completely charming rural property set in lovely gardens filled with the music of goat bells and cicades.Beach Life - Within easy access of lovely sandy beaches, explore the coast and discover hidden coves and bays.Diving - The B&B can organise great diving opportunities to see both marine life and WW2 underwater wrecks.Great walks - Head out from the hotel and explore the surrounding countryside and villages.Recommended by - I Escape
A charming 1895 country house, set in lovely grounds filled with red, pink and white geraniums. This stunning villa is walking distance to the island's best beaches. Charming rooms with traditional tiled floors and antique furniture and an honesty bar in the garden. A wonderful Grecian rural escape. See More