What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Alghero
A beautiful medieval city in northwestern Sardinia, nestling beside the 90km stretch of the Coral Riviera, Alghero is beloved by families and surfers alike, who flock in droves for its beaches and charming historic centre. A labyrinthine maze of narrow cobbled streets lined with Gothic palazzi, Renaissance churches, terrace bars and restaurants, all wrapped in sturdy and bright golden sea walls. The heart of the Sardinian coral industry, you will find that there is a distinctly Spanish vibe to the city, largely a remnant of its time as a Catalan colony. Spend days sunbathing on the sweeping white sand beaches, surfing in the aquamarine sea, checking out the wealth of Bronze Age sites scattered throughout the hinterland or taking a romantic stroll along the walkway of the ancient walls. The best places to stay in Alghero all jut out into the sea and provide breath-arresting views.
What not to miss
- Take a romantic walk along the old sea walls.
- Head to Le Bombarde, a famous beach, beloved by surfers and families alike.
- Visit the wealth of prehistoric sites scattered throughout the region, from the complexes of Palmavera to the necropolis of Anghelo Ruju.
- See the Cathedral of Santo Maria - a marvellous building of 14th century design.
- Find solace in the Church of San Michele, with its colourful ceramic dome.
- Learn about the local coral industry at the Museo del Corallo.
- Just get lost in the Old Town, amongst the terrace bars and restaurants, the cobbled lanes and medieval townhouses.
Picturesque, romantic and steeped in history - it's no wonder why Alghero draws so many people every year. Find out more by browsing our list of the best places to stay in Alghero.
The best places to stay in Alghero
- Hotel El Faro is a fabulous seaside hotel on a peninsula north of Alghero. Bright rooms and suites in nautical colours have lots of space, private balconies, and sea views. Boasting a top of the range Thalasso Spa, excellent Mediterranean cuisine, and lots of activities on the private beach and surrounding coastline.
- Hotel Villa Las Tronas is a Five Star hotel on a promenade jutting into the sea. Traditionally elegant rooms and suites, not at all modern, excellent sea food restaurant, wellness centre and swimming pool over the water's edge. A romantic setting, but still family friendly.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the spring (8 to 23 degrees) or early autumn (13 to 27 degrees) - to miss the heaving summer crowds!
- Fly to Alghero-Fertilia Airport - Alghero's own airport.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Sardinia
- or Italy
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Alghero
Hotel El Faro Alghero 88 rooms from £83
A fabulous seaside hotel on a peninsula north of Alghero. Beachy rooms and suites in nautical colours have lots of space, private balconies, and sea views. Top of the range Thalasso Spa, excellent Mediterranean cuisine, and lots of activities on the private beach and surrounding coastline.Spa breaks - Fabulou Thalasso Spa and Dead Sea Salt Bath therapies.Beach Life - Miles of coastline and coves to explore and swim in.Views - Stunning seaviews from all angles.Swimming Pool - Three pools.
Hotel Villa Las Tronas Alghero 18 rooms from £175
A Five Star hotel on a promenade jutting into the sea. Traditionally elegant rooms and suites, not at all modern, excellent sea food restaurant, wellness centre and swimming pool over the water's edge. A romantic setting, but still very family friendly.FamiliesRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelPrivate Hot Tub - Some suites have private decks with their own outdoor hot tubsRecommended by - Sawdays