Search the best hotels in Palermo
Sicily's capital promises a bit more adventure than your average island city break. Its wonderfully disheveled buildings on slightly chaotic streets show the architectural marks of this island's many invaders. The residents have a reputation for being colourful characters, many of them rule bending! The Hotel Guru's picks of the best places to stay in Palermo are small B&Bs from where you can explore this fascinating city to the max. Palermo's unpredictability can be a great positive, and may allow you to see more than just your guide book's recommendations.
What Not To Miss
- The Cappella Palatina, a beautiful chapel full of wonderfully detailed mosaics.
- Palermo's giant fountain, the Fontana Pretoria, in the Piazza Pretoria.
- Palermo's palace, the Palazzo dei Normanni, used as a parliament building during the week, but open to visitors to marvel at its wonderful artworks on the weekend.
- The opera house: Teatro Massimo, one of the city's iconic landmarks made even more famous by its appearance in the final scene of The Godfather: Part III.
- The grandeur of Palermo's patterned cathedral, the lovingly ornate detail of the Oratorio del Rosario, the beautiful restoration of La Martorana, a 12th Century church, and the Gothic grace of Chiesa de San Francesco d'Assisi show the importance of religion to Palermo's history.
Such is Palermo's abundance of things to see and do that it's no surprise that the best places to stay in Palermo are in hot demand, especially during the peak season.
For a chic B&B
- For a stylish property in the heart of the town, B&B Delle Vittorie is a chic and contemporary B&B, in the heart of the old city. Elegant and understated interiors, are matched by excellent service and a friendly atmosphere. Perfectly located for explore all the city has to offer, from bars and restaurants to museums and cathedrals. An excellent breakfast is included.
- The Maxim B&B is a sweet, great value B&B in a central location in Palermo. The charming rooms and one suite have parquet floors, creamy tones, four poster beds and occasional modern art. Close to beaches and sights. Family friendly.
- If you're looking for an upmarket stay, Principe di villafranca is a boutique hotel in the heart of Palermo, a short walk from the Politeama and Massimo theatres. Rooms have antique furnishings, marble floors and vaulted ceilings giving an authentic, luxurious feel. A cozy Sicilian restaurant at the hotel and many bars on nearby streets. Ideal for work or pleasure.
- Located centrally and at great value, B&B Il Giardino di Ballaro is a charming, characterful, colourful boutique B&B in the heart of historical Palmero. Rooms with quirky art and furnishings, air conditioning and direct access to lovely outdoor courtyard. Traditional Sicilian breakfast available. Child friendly and great value.
- BB22 is an excellent boutique B&B with attractive bedrooms in Palermo. Rooms and one suite combine contemporary lighting, artwork, and jazzy wallpapers with parquet floors, gilt mirrors and stand alone bathtubs. A great city spot for a romantic holiday.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd rather your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of apartments throughout the town.
- Fly to Palermo Airport located 32km (20 miles) from the town with connections to many destinations throughout Europe
- Catch a ferry to Palermo with regular connections to local and abroad destinations.
- Palermo has train links to Rome and Naples which is quite the experience involving the train boarding a ferry
- If you'd prefer to rent a car to explore the area more, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Rentalcars for prices
- Best time to visit - May to April and September to October as these times offer visitors the most pleasant temperatures for exploring the town.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Palermo
B&B Il Giardino di Ballaro Palermo (75/77) 5 rooms from £69Sights nearby - Moment from cathedral, Cappella Palatina, Tower of San NicolòLocal markets - Close to BallaròGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Palazzo Brunaccini Palermo (Albergaria) 18 rooms from £94Families - The family rooms are a great option for parents travelling with children, offering lots of extra living spaceRomantic Break - The classical interior and cosy restaurant make this hotel a romantic setting for couple's getawayCity Style - Located in the centre of Palermo in a heritage building, this hotel has reams of Sicilian styleLocal markets - Shop like a local with a trip to the Ballarò Market, a fresh fruit and vegetable market close to the hotel
This boutique hotel is located on a pretty piazzetta in central Palermo. Rooms are bright and modern with luxurious linens and quality furniture; the best suites have marble floors, four-poster beds and a private balcony. Have lunch at the stylish Da Carlo restaurant. A stately Sicilian hotel. See More
B&B Delle Vittorie Palermo 5 rooms from £94Romantic Break - A pampering pad in the centre of the city, boasting comfy and stylish suites, four poster beds and excellent views.Local markets - Just a short stroll to the popular markets of Ballarò and Vucciria, head down to pick up some regional specialities.Sights nearby - Within walking distance of the Cathedral, the Quattro Canti, the Teatro Massimo, the Royal Palace.Great walks - Right in the centre of the historic old city, head out and explore her streets on foot.
A chic and contemporary B&B, in the heart of the old city. Elegant and understated interiors, are matched by excellent service and a friendly atmosphere. Perfectly located for explore all the city has to offer, from bars and restaurants to museums and cathedrals. An excellent breakfast is included. See More
Principe di villafranca Palermo 32 rooms from £95Great walks - Walk the city from Via Maqueda and Corso Vittorio EmanuelSights nearby - Explore 16th-century catacombsLocal markets - Explore Ballarò MarketRecommended by - Fodors
Boutique hotel in the heart of Palermo, a short walk from the Politeama and Massimo theatres. Rooms have antique furnishings, marble floors, and vaulted ceilings giving an authentic, luxurious feel. A cozy Sicilian restaurant at the hotel and many bars on nearby streets. Ideal for work or pleasure. See More
BB22 Palermo 6 rooms from £95HoneymoonsRomantic BreakSights nearby - Situated in the heart of historic PalermoRestrictions on children - Children over 8 welcome.Recommended by - I Escape
Maxim B&B Palermo 5 rooms from £95Value chicSights nearby - Central Palermo so easy access to all the sightsLocal markets - Vucciria, Ballarò and del Capo street markets.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - I Escape
BB22 Palace Palermo (Castellammare Vucciria) 5 rooms from £121City Style - Located in a heritage building typical of Palermo, this hotel is a chic and stylish Italian guesthouseLocal exploring - The hotel's central location makes it a great base for local exploring in PalermoRomantic Break - Couples love the hotel's cosy rooms and the pretty outdoor terraceSights nearby - Visit Chiesa di Sant'Agostino, a 13th-century church with an impressive mosaic facade
This hotel is housed in a beautifully renovated palazzo in the centre of Palermo. Rooms boast modern interior design and high-quality linens; book the deluxe room for a feature wall comprised of stone from the original palazzo. Relax with a drink on the hotel's chic terrace; a stylish guesthouse. See More
Palazzo Natoli Palermo 9 rooms from £125Short fly break - Easily accessible European destination with a range of low-cost airlines flying to its airport located 19kms from the cityLocal exploring - Close to the major attractions the city has to offer and organising guided tours tooCity Style - A taste of Sicilian hospitality within easy reach of restaurants and attractionsSights nearby - The crossing of the Cathedral and Quatro Canti is where many of Palermo's major attractions can be seenRecommended by - Sawdays, I Escape