Polignano a Mare
Search the best hotels in Polignano a Mare
About Polignano a Mare
Polignano a Mare is a small and picturesque town of old whitewashed stone houses perched along rugged limestone cliffs at the edge of the Adriatic. Ideal for a holiday with your loved one, it is famed for the quality of its ice cream, charming cobbled streets, old churches and its Blue Flag beach. Spellbinding and steeped in history, the Old Town is guarded by a medieval gate and north of the historic centre is a Roman bridge - Lama Monachile. The main square is a great place to grab an apperitif or cold beer after a hot day soaking in the sunshine on the pebbled beach. Boasting Puglia's only contemporary art museum, a restaurant hidden in the mouth of a sea cave, clifftops where children dive into the crystal-clear waters of the Adriatic and an Old Town that beckons you to get lost in; this must be one of the best-kept secrets in Italy. The best places to stay in Polignano a Mare range from intimate B&Bs to luxurious resorts - all of which are ideal for a romantic break.
What not to miss
- Wander the old cobbled streets, through the medieval gate and see the Roman bridge.
- Find some solace in the Chiesa Matrice, a lovely old church.
- Sunbathe on the Blue-Flag beach, flanked by limestone cliffs, while watching children dive from the top!
- Head to the main square, Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II for a pizza or drink.
- Marvel at the contemporary art on display at the Fondazione Museo Pino Pascali.
- Take the 2 hour walking tour of the town and learn about its fascinating history - from the Romans and Huns to the Normans and the present day.
- If your pockets feel particularly deep, head to the Grotto Palazzese - a restaurant hidden in a sea cave.
Beautiful, romantic and steeped in history, the town is suited to couples looking for a quiet break. Find out more by browsing our list of the best places to stay in Polignano a Mare!
The best places to stay in Polignano a Mare
- Casa Dorsi is a charming bed and breakfast boasting an enviable central location and epic vantage from its clifftop position. Small but perfectly formed rooms are traditional in style with exposed stone walls and antique furniture. Ideally located for exploring the city's sights and reasonably priced too.
- B&B Antico Mondo is a charming little B&B in the picturesque fishing town of Polignano a Mare. The rooms are simply furnished and feature exposed brick walls and wooden ceilings. Explore the charming streets of the town or wander down to the beach. A great value option.
- Borgo Bianco is a 5* resort in the hills overlooking the Adriatic sea. Large contemporary rooms have wooden floors, white furniture and splendid bathrooms. Featuring outdoor and indoor pools, a spa, sauna and hot tub, and the Apulian cuisine is superb. Understated chic and great value.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 17 and 32 degrees.
- Fly to Bari Karol Wojtyla International Airport and take the shuttle bus to Polignano a Mare - the distance between them is 45km.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Puglia
- or Italy
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Polignano a Mare
Casa Dorsi Polignano a Mare (BA) Apulia 8 rooms from £52
A charming bed and breakfast boasting an enviable central location and epic vantage from its cliff top position. Small but perfectly formed rooms are traditional in style with exposed stone walls and antique furniture. Ideally located for exploring the city's sights and reasonably priced too.Local exploring - Situated in the heart of Puglia and within walking distance of many of the main tourist attractions.Sights nearby - Visit the mosaic floor of the 'tree of life' at the 12th century Cathedral, Otranto.Cooking classes - Learn to cook Apulian dishes at the hotel's cookery school.Sailing - Rent a boat and explore the picturesque coastline.
B&B Antico Mondo Polignano a Mare 11 rooms from £73
A charming little B&B in the picturesque fishing town of Polignano a Mare. The rooms are simply furnished and feature exposed brick walls and wooden ceilings. Explore the charming streets of the town or wander down to the beach. A great value option.Local exploring - A cosy B&B set within the ancient walls of Polignano a Mare, just a minute from the beach.Sights nearby - Guests must be sure to check out the incredible Castellana Caves.Spa
Borgo Bianco Polignano a Mare 48 rooms from £163
5* resort in hills overlooking the Adriatic sea. Large contemporary rooms have wooden floors, white furniture and splendid bathrooms. Outdoor and indoor pool, spa, sauna and hot tub. Excellent Apulian cuisine. Understated chic and great value.Romantic Break - Breezy cream coloured suites, superb spa, glamourous outdoor pool and plenty of exploringSights nearby - Basilica di San Nicola and the 13th century Castel del MonteRomantic - Good for couples.Local markets - Good for local colour.