Search the best hotels in Todi
An ancient and beautiful town nestling in the Umbrian hills, Todi is a picturesque place of ornate medieval architecture, soft-hued stone houses, palazzi, belfries, steep backstreets and grand piazzas, all looking out over a valley of vineyards and wildflowers. Encircled by three walls that seem to highlight the town's history - Etruscan, Roman and medieval - Todi is a grand, historically-dense town ideal for culture vultures or just those craving the simplicity of rural Italian life. With gorgeous views of the Tevere Valley below, a range of excellent museums boasting artworks and archaeology, local wineries running guided tours and tastings, several jaw-dropping and ancient churches, not to mention the Roman tunnels snaking beneath the town itself, Todi is truly enchanting. The best places to stay in Todi include several charming B&Bs in the heart of the town and an ancient water tower on the outskirts.
What not to miss
- Climb to the top of Todi and gaze out across the gorgeous Tevere Valley below you.
- Stroll around the beautiful Piazza del Popolo, the photogenic heart of town.
- See the awe-inspiring Santa Maria della Consolazione Renaissance church, find solace in the Cathedral della Santissima Annunziata, a 12th century beauty or marvel at the ancient, sunlit interiors of the Church of San Fortunato.
- Check out the Civic Museum for a range of ancient artefacts, artworks and textiles.
- Take a guided tour of the Roman-built tunnels beneath the town.
- Enjoy a tour and tasting of the local Roccafiore Winery.
- Explore the three walls encircling the town - the innermost being Etruscan, then Roman, then medieval.
A true Umbrian gem, Todi may be small but it punches well above its size in terms of history and culture. Why not browse through our list of the best places to stay in Todi to start planning your trip?
The best places to stay in Todi
- San Lorenzo Tre is an elegant family run B&B in Todi's main Piazza. Charm and tradition decorate the walls of six bedrooms and faded living areas. Very friendly service, excellent value, a low key base to explore the surroundings from.
- Il Ghiottone Umbro is a pretty B&B located in a former mill at the foot of historic Todi. The three individually styled rooms are bright and modern, with rustic touches adding a homely feel. Enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal al fresco and book a cooking class at the onsite school. A charming stay for foodies!
- Tenuta di Canonica is an ancient water tower that looks over immaculate gardens, valleys of olive and fruit trees and the medieval town of Todi. Rooms are stylish, the cuisine is traditionally Umbrian and the pool comes with a view. Sophisticated, welcoming and beautiful - a great choice for a romantic escape in an unrivalled setting.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to visit is between May and July when the temperature ranges between 13 and 30 degrees.
- Fly to Perugia San Francesco d'Assisi Umbria International Airport; take the 1h 20 minute bus ride from Perugia's station to Todi, or rent a taxi, the journey taking 50 minutes.
- If you want to rent a car, which we highly recommend if you want to explore further afield, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Todi
San Lorenzo Tre Todi 6 rooms from £65Value chicSights nearby - Just steps away from Todi CathedralLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotel
Il Ghiottone Umbro Todi (Voc. Molino) 3 rooms from £95Hideaway - Nestled on the periphery of Todi in pretty, with secluded grounds, this hotel makes a great hideaway holiday destinationRomantic Break - The heritage building, verdant grounds and stylish rooms make this a romantic setting for a couple's getawayCooking classes - A professional in-house cookery school will have you whipping up local delicacies in no timeLocal exploring - Located within walking distance of the centre of Todi, it's a great base for local exploring
This pretty B&B is located in a former mill at the foot of historic Todi. The three individually styled rooms are bright and modern, with rustic touches adding a homely feel. Enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal al fresco, and book a cooking class at the onsite school. A charming stay for foodies! See More
Tenuta di Canonica Todi (Umbria) 13 rooms from £139Great walks - Explore the olive groves and fruit orchards at dusk or dawn for some tranquil stolls.Views - Panoramic views of Corbara Lake, Todi and the surrounding hills.Sights nearby - Explore the medieval hilltown of Todi.Swimming Pool - Outdoor Pool with stunning views
Ancient water tower looks over immaculate gardens, valleys of olive and fruit trees and the medieval town of Todi. Rooms are stylish, cuisine is traditional Umbrian and the pool comes with a view. Sophisticated, welcoming and beautiful - a great choice for a romantic escape in an unrivaled setting. See More