Search the best hotels in Fukuoka
Fukuoka, Japan's sixth-largest city, is a vibrant hub located on the island of Kyushu. Its location has made it an important trade city over the years, with many of the best places to stay in Fukuoka located near the bustling harbour.
Surprisingly, Fukuoka is actually located closer to Seoul than it is to Tokyo! Despite the area having a rich history, the modern city of Fukuoka was actually only formed in 1889 when the nearby city of Hakata and the castle town of Fukuoka merged together. Nowadays, you can still see this reflected in certain areas - for example, the train station to this day is called 'Hakata station'.
Visitors can expect a bustling and incredibly charming spot which superbly blends cosmopolitan architecture with natural beauty. The expansive Lake Fukuoka lies in the middle of the city, located within the resplendent Ohori Park, which is well worth a visit. And, the city's also located right on Kyushu's north-eastern coast, which means that you can enjoy long scenic walks along the seaside.
If you're a foodie then you'll love a trip to Fukuoka - the city's notorious as being the birthplace of Hakata ramen, made with thin noodles and pork bone broth (tonkotsu). Head to one of the numerous yata, or street carts, and tuck into a delicious bowl!
All in all, Fukuoka is a lovely place to visit with a buzzy atmosphere that's bound to please.
What Not To Miss
- Spend an afternoon wandering around the serene Ohori Park and enjoy the lovely view of the lake.
- Uminonakamichi Seaside Park, with its lovely flower displays and aquarium, is another top spot.
- If you like a bit of culture then head along to Sumiyoshi Shrine or Junsho-ji Temple.
Make sure to book well in advance as the best places to stay in Fukuoka usually get quickly filled up.
The best places to stay in Fukuoka
For the centre of town
- With The Style Fukuoka is a chic spot with spacious, contemporary accommodation boasting luxurious bathrooms. The pool garden also features a pool, bar, and two lovely restaurants.
- Hotel Nikko Fukuoka is a modern stay close to the airport. With smart, classically-furnished rooms and eight restaurants, it's a top spot.
- Hotel Il Palazzo is a glitzy stay with dark accommodation and simple designs. A smart choice.
By the coast
- The oceanfront Hilton Fukuoka Sea Hawk is a luxurious spot with contemporary, minimalist rooms and all the mod cons. you'd expect.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, you're best off visiting in the summer months - the average temperature rises to 24-32°C in August.
- If you're coming from abroad then fly into Tokyo's Haneda Airport before taking a connection on to Fukuoka Airport, located just a ten-minute bus ride away from the city centre.
- If you want to explore more of the area then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure
Best Hotels in Fukuoka
Rihga Royal Kokura Kyushu Fukuoka (Kitakyushu) 295 rooms from £134City Style - A luxury hotel located on the 14th-20th floors and boasting epic city views.Local markets - Wander through the Yanagibashi market and sample the regional flavours.Sights nearby - Situated just 2.2 km from the impressive Kokura Castle.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.
A sleek high-rise hotel boasting sweeping views across the city. Smart rooms are simply dressed with crisp white linen, soft hues and large windows. Two top floor restaurants offer Chinese and Japanese cuisine. A spoiling spa and gym are utterly spoiling after a day exploring the city. See More
Hilton Fukuoka Sea Hawk Fukuoka (CHUO-KU, JA) 1053 rooms from £168Local exploring - Boasting a prime oceanfront location, adjacent to Fukuoka Yafuoku Dome, and with many other attractions within walking distance.Great walks - Take a gentle stoll along the seashore.Views - Great views from hotelSpa
A luxury hotel boasting an enviable city centre location with oceanfront views. Contemporary rooms are minimalist in style with plenty of glass, crisp white linen, luxurious bathrooms and the best have hot tubs. Find efficient service and boundless facilities. Ideal for both business and leisure. See More
Hotel Il Palazzo Fukuoka 62 rooms from £223Local exploring - Boasting a central location near the Nakasu Kawabata Station and with easy access to the city's main attractions.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the impressive Fukuoka Castle ruins.Quirky - An experience!
Hotel Nikko Fukuoka Fukuoka (Hakata-ku) 360 rooms from £223Local exploring - Excellent transport links to both the airport, Hakata Station and the city's attractions.Great walks - Take a stroll through the picterusque Rakusui-en Garden.Sights nearby - Visit the first zen temple of Japan, Shofuku-ji Temple.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
A luxury hotel conveniently located close to both the airport and city centre. Chic rooms are classic in style with large windows, crisp white linen and elegant antique furniture. A choice selection of 8 restaurants cover a number of world cuisines. An ideal base for either business of leisure. See More
With the Style Fukuoka Fukuoka 16 rooms from £311City Style - A chic boutique hotel complete with contemporary artworks and lively poolside bar.Great walks - Take a stroll through the picturesque Ohori Park.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Fukuoka Castle ruins.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
A chic boutique property set in the heart of the city. Contemporary rooms feature bright works of art, luxury bathrooms separated by a glass screen and the best have small terraces. Boasting a patio garden complete with pool and hip bar and two atmospheric restaurants. Fabulous. See More